Main Menu

debating whether to stay 80 or level to 85

Started by Mardag, October 26, 2009, 03:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardag

I am curently level 80 with about 660AA and unbuffed am at 22,200hp and 3300AC.  Right now I can easily make 5-10AA an hour just killing crocs in Loping Plains and when I have time will usually go for a few hours.  I have been looking at bazaar gear for level 85's, Im on Firona Vie, and can get some serious upgrades cheap if I level up but then will have the problem of finding a spot for good AA experience.  I have never once entered a SoD zone and know nothing about the expansion at all except I wanted the AAs and the merc.

What do you guys think about either staying level 80 for a few hundred, maybe several hundred, more AAs or level to 85 for new spells and gear?  I know at level 83 crocs will still be Dark Blue so been considering leveling up for new poison nuke, new buffs and new pet along with new SoD AAs.

Kanan

About the only reason why I solo in Toskirakk for xp is 1) bcs I can 2) bcs it had a modicum of difficulty and danger that the hotzones dont.

I likely can get better xp in Thallassius (sp?) for the time investment, but the only way to keep it remotely interesting is to pull entire rooms at once so that I have to work at it to keep the agro off the cleric and keep her alive.

Granted, I'm a lotta years ahead of ya, so the power level differences are great. 

It is sounding like finding a group is a relative non-concern for you, so that typical argument of mine is moot.  If you are still enjoying yourself, I think the point at which you presently sit is probably a good one for you.  It sounds like you've got a good, efficient groove working on the xp grind, and you're still in bonus territory for the AA count.  I know it's a long way off, but I'm wanting to say that most of the "necessary" AA are pretty much completed at approx 1500aa nowadays.  If you can stand it, that's the latest I'd stay at 80.  Me, I'd go nuts after a coupla hundred more AA in a spot, but /shrug.. if that's yo thang ;p
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Grbage

I agree with Kanan, if you are happy doing what you are doing then stay at 80.

Something to keep in mind, if you do level up your decent xp hunting areas basically narrow to higher end SoF and SoD zones. Toss in a lot of zones in SoD have horrid xp into your decision making.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

bobokatt1970

Although my main is my bst and he is maxed aa, recently I leveled up my baby mage.  I had stopped at 80 actually and had done what you were considering -- work heavy on aa.  I do agree that your return on mobs xp wise is very good at lower levels.. especially if you can mass kill in say a hot zone and areas where mobs dont have a zillion HP.  If you can burn them out it's great to get the xp now.

However, it all depends really on the spells available to you as you start getting into level 81 and beyond.  For my mage i had to break down and get to 81 to get my air pet.  For bsts you really dont get a "better" new pet till 83.  Your current pet is great as long as you don't fight mobs way higher, in which case your current pet DPS wise vs the con of the mob wont be very effective.

Personally... if you have the time and are having fun and are not constrained by apping to a guild that wants 85 etc., I would say pump out what you can now, especially the aa's for your offensive, defensive, and then pet offensive/defensive... the utility aa ones.. etc.  Sadly though if I am not mistaken some of the really cool utility aa's are new SOD ones which I think you will need to be at least 81 to get.  But at least like I said you can pump out all the basic needed ones first.

Catnip_Inny

AA bonus exp gets worse the closer you get to 1K AA's so soon you might find yourself not getting as many AA's killing crocs.  Ive always been of the mind that Lvl's > AA's with exception to class defining AA's and a base lvl of defense and offense ect :)

Though if your not concerned with a guild and are happy soloing in Loping Plains then there is no real rush to get to lvl 85!

Vidyne

Hit 1000aa,  then go for 85.

Although I haven't really tried on my beastlord in a long time....  I can get 4-5aa in Thal on my 85/1200 mage.
The beast was getting 3-4, sometimes 5 in RSS,  so Thal may yield a solid 5..
Granted I'm nearly fully SoD T5 geared, and have 3900aa.  However if you're at those stats at 80... you're doing very well...  ah.. FV... buyable raid gear.

Azire

If the AAs you are getting now is whats holding you back from leveling, go to 85. I am 85/1700+ and get 6+ AAs per lesson in RSS. All the mobs there are light blue but it doesnt matter because you kill them very fast. However, staying at 80 does allow you to have more places to earn XP.

Vidyne

Hrm, where were you killing in RSS?  Best I could ever manage was 5 1/2, but I had frequent distractions sometimes that brought it down to 4.

Mardag

Yeah I am in a family guild and spend 99% of my time either soloing for exp or going after old raid targets.  I recently killed Avatar of War, Derakor the Vindicator and King Tormax and soloed the Carprin Cycle.  I went for Grummus but unfortunetly he wasn't up but the spider guardian was so I killed her.  Being on Firona Vie I see some amazing level 85 gear and have been debating leveling up but don't want to lose good places for experience and like I said I know nothing about SoD or SoD zones.  I figured I could stay in Loping Plains on crocs till I ding 84 and they go light blue then maybe move to Fort Mech till 85.

Quick edit since crocs are level 78 and still Dark Blue at 83 would they be the same AA experience at 83 as they are at 80?  Right now I need a merc to be efficient even with Focused Paragon but at 83 I might not need merc at all and will open up a bunch of SoD AAs.

wildwaters

Quote from: Catnip_Inny on October 26, 2009, 04:41:27 PM
AA bonus exp gets worse the closer you get to 1K AA's so soon you might find yourself not getting as many AA's killing crocs.  Ive always been of the mind that Lvl's > AA's with exception to class defining AA's and a base lvl of defense and offense ect :)

Though if your not concerned with a guild and are happy soloing in Loping Plains then there is no real rush to get to lvl 85!

Azire

Quote from: Vidyne on October 27, 2009, 01:04:37 AM
Hrm, where were you killing in RSS?  Best I could ever manage was 5 1/2, but I had frequent distractions sometimes that brought it down to 4.

I start at the top of the steps with the fire ladies, turn right down that hall then right again into the big room with all the chimeras and ikaavs then make my way up from there to riftseeker camp. Usually lesson runs out as im entering riftseeker. In order to get the 6+ AAs I speak of, you cannot stop for med breaks, that will throw you off quite a bit. I am constantly mashing nukes, discs, and fpos. I do not bother to slow them and I pull with one of the instant cast dots(they dont summon from the instant dmg, only from the first tic of the dot). I use 2-3 HoT potions per run and use protective spirit every time it pops. I hope this helps and good luck.

Vidyne

Ah, someone would frequently be up in riftseeker and res/sum when I was there.  I would turn right from the top of the stairs, clear the first room, clear the second(Signet quest room), then loop around the bottom two rooms, one with aneuks, one with chimeras, then return to the top of the steps and sometimes repops had started, sometimes I had to wait a minute or two.

I managed to pull 7aa out of myself recently in a thal lessons, first time burning lessons in a month or so.  I probably could pull 8 or maybe 9.