Main Menu

New login poll...

Started by Tastian, June 03, 2004, 07:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyphen Wilder

That is what I though Lorathir, not the fact that it has been happening, but that now SOE would condone it.

Like I mentioned before, the plus side of this could be that with the infux of extra income, maybe we might see a better game......crossing fingers.

Skanda

Quote from: Cyphen Wilder.

Like I mentioned before, the plus side of this could be that with the infux of extra income, maybe we might see a better game......crossing fingers.

We can hope. but then again did we see a better game when they raised the monthly price?

Urim

QuoteWhat about the raiders here? All that time you've invested building your charecter equiptment wise - months, probably years of raiding, for what? For me to equip my lv40 alt BETTER than you in the time it takes for an email to be sent out? (That is of course going on the assumption No Drop will be buyable - can't see a reason why Sony would object to that though.)

What about all those AA's you've ammased. The time your guild took honing your strat to get that bugger Coirnav. THAT sense of accomplisment when equipping the last piece of Dumul's. Hell, even the first. Hell, even getting your SHO or Axe belt. Just so Johnny Newb can come along with this credit card and do it in seconds.
What "Johnny Newb" does with his credit card does not affect me in the slightest. It does not diminish the feeling of earning my armor through years of raiding, it also does not make guild accomplishments any less rewarding. I can still remember the feeling of seeing Rathe/Coirnav/Quarm/Barxt fall for the first time and love the fact that i was there for those times. No amount of spending on "Johnny's" part could lessen those feelings.

Quote(That is of course going on the assumption No Drop will be buyable - can't see a reason why Sony would object to that though.)
SoE has not said they are going to be the ones selling the items, they are just the middleman ensuring everyone gets what was promised in the sale, so No Drop items could not possibly be sold. Whether or not SoE decides to get into the selling game later on down the road, which probably will happen, i still doubt they would sell No Drop items, they did make them No Drop for a reason.

Even though i disagree with people going around the EULA to cheat, i know that if somebody wants to cheat, they will always find a way. I think SoE probably just realized it was a losing battle trying to stop everyone from doing it so why not provide a safe and secure way for their customers to engage in this activity. Which shows that they at least care about their customers, so who cares if they make money by doing this, that is what business's were made to do. Nobody ever starts a business in the hopes of not making money. If they pull it off the right way then they are essentially going to be putting Yantis and his kind out of business because if it were me i would much rather pay a small amount more for a secure transaction rather then losing my money when the seller decides he wants the character back or just decides to not give up the item.
Maelin Starpyre
[80 Arch Animist] Urim the Library Guardian (Iksar) <Crimson Tempest>

'Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity'

Lorathir

Quote from: Cyphen Wilderthe plus side of this could be that with the infux of extra income, maybe we might see a better game......crossing fingers.

QuoteLast April, when Sony raised the monthly subscription price 31 percent to $12.95, it hardly lost a player. In fact, Smedley says the game continues to add 12,000 players a month.

Quote"Would you believe we've generated over $1 million in revenue simply from moving characters?" Smedley marvels.

I'd like to remain positive and hope that if it does go through they will pour it into making EQ the Happy Fun Place. But as they haven't really done that so far with all this extra income..

Ok, I've been the prophet of doom for too long in this thread and my negativ-o-meter has blown up - sorry guys for being a downer  :oops:

Alerka

Drugs are illegal. MANY people do not do drugs simply because they are illegal. If they were made legal, a LOT more people would be doing drugs.

This is exactly the case with the transfer of items by SoE for money. Whether you think itsa good idea or a bad idea or dont care, it WILL increase the number of people buying items tenfold.

disclaimer- I am making no comment on drug use. That was simply an anology to explain my case.

Cyphen Wilder

QuoteDrugs are illegal. MANY people do not do drugs simply because they are illegal. If they were made legal, a LOT more people would be doing drugs.

This is exactly the case with the transfer of items by SoE for money. Whether you think itsa good idea or a bad idea or dont care, it WILL increase the number of people buying items tenfold.

disclaimer- I am making no comment on drug use. That was simply an anology to explain my case.

I don't do drugs because it is a crutch of the weak-minded, not because it is isn't legal.  I can see the point you are trying to make, but do not agree with it at all.  Look at Lorath, he sure doesn't seem like one to start selling items as soon as it is condoned by SOE.  I know plenty of other people in game that would be the same way.  That is like saying if murder was made legal, everyone would be out killing people just because it is now legal.

Alerka

I disagree with you 100%. I also find your comparison with murder utterly ridiculous. How does getting intoxicated even remotely compare to taking the life of a person? I specifically added the disclaimer about drugs to avoid getting off topic as well.

Cyphen Wilder

You are saying that a LOT of people in EQ want to sell plat and items, but just don't because it is against the EULA.  You are saying that if it was not against the EULA, a LOT of people in EQ would be doing it.  Then you attempt to use a drug use analogy by saying that MANY people don't do drugs simply because it is illegal, and that if it was legal, a LOT more people would be doing drugs.  What about people that just think that selling plat and items is wrong?  What about the people that feel that drugs are just a nuisance to society?  The absurdity of your analogy was clearly shown by me simply subsituting the illegal activity which I can do here:

Killing people is illegal. MANY people do not do not kill people simply because it is illegal. If it was made legal, a LOT more people would be killing people.

See, doesn't work either way.  You make the assumption that all EQ players want to buy, but just don't based on it being illegal which is just not true.

MajinFro

What you two seem to not understand is that if drug use and murder was legal there would be more of it.

No, people with a moral fiber would not do it because it was legal.  But legalizing it would possibly remove the only thing that is holding back certain people. Punishment.

The same thing goes with selling and buying plat.  Accout selling can get you banned just like downloading music can get your ass sued.  It's just something that was widely ignored by SOE unless there was a big stink made.  Alot of people don't break the EULA in fear of the punishment of losing their money, their character, and their time.  Remove the punishment and there will be more of it. Just like there would be more drug use and more murder.

Yiktiki

Oh the Drama... I quit, I'm quitting, they are killing babies in Africa with this poll, if they do this then everyone on your mailing list will get malaria.

Give me a frickin break.  Accts and items are sold through third parties all the time, at the same time, con artists are screwing naive people out of their money.  Doing it this way at least provides a legal path for people that are going to do it.  Who knows, maybe there will be enough money in it for SOE that they won't keep upping the monthly charge, or that they can reduce their expansion costs, or maybe it means more money for customer service.  

Items/Accts will be sold, regardless of what SOE does.  Wouldn't it be nice if when it happened, it somehow protected and improved EQ?  

Get over the threats of quitting and the whining.  If they put it in place and you don't want to do it.. dont frickin do it.  If you ARE going to quit over it, please do so quietly... I'm sick of seeing those 'sky is falling' posts of how it caused your mom to get cancer.
Starlighte - Tauren Druid - Level 70
Misscreant - Blood Elf Warlock - Level 70
Kilrogg Server

RETIRED
Elder Yiktiki Tumbo - Feral Lord
Starlighte Starbrighte - Pocket Druid
Luclin Server

MajinFro

I just want to see soe f00k over yantis.

Lorathir

Quote from: YiktikiOh the Drama... I quit, I'm quitting, they are killing babies in Africa with this poll, if they do this then everyone on your mailing list will get malaria.

Give me a frickin break.  Accts and items are sold through third parties all the time, at the same time, con artists are screwing naive people out of their money.  Doing it this way at least provides a legal path for people that are going to do it.  Who knows, maybe there will be enough money in it for SOE that they won't keep upping the monthly charge, or that they can reduce their expansion costs, or maybe it means more money for customer service.  

Items/Accts will be sold, regardless of what SOE does.  Wouldn't it be nice if when it happened, it somehow protected and improved EQ?  

Get over the threats of quitting and the whining.  If they put it in place and you don't want to do it.. dont frickin do it.  If you ARE going to quit over it, please do so quietly... I'm sick of seeing those 'sky is falling' posts of how it caused your mom to get cancer.

A good effort, I like it.
If I can be picky however, there are a couple of glaring ommisions.

1) No Chicken Little mention.
2) No Black Helicopter speech.

Other than that, pretty damn sweet. Bonus points for

Quote from: YiktikiI'm sick of seeing those 'sky is falling' posts of how it caused your mom to get cancer

Points deducted for

Quote from: Yiktikithey are killing babies in Africa

Which I've heard before. Nonetheless, 7/10.   :wink:

Yiktiki

Gah, I didn't notice the judges or I would have worked on my form better.  I coulda stuck that landing better if I would have been paying attention.
Starlighte - Tauren Druid - Level 70
Misscreant - Blood Elf Warlock - Level 70
Kilrogg Server

RETIRED
Elder Yiktiki Tumbo - Feral Lord
Starlighte Starbrighte - Pocket Druid
Luclin Server

Toln

My server (Kane Bayle) has a guy named Psychoo who sells plat to (presumably Yantis/IGE).

He and another guy bot 7-15 toons and take down various targets everytime they are up (and I mean every time.)

KT, AoW, Seru, Cursed, BoT Minis, Zlandicar, just to name a few of them.

It is impossible for lower tier guilds or people to experience killing them or getting loot from them since he does them constantly the moment they are up.

Why does he kill them? This is why:
PoK: /ooc Selling looting rights to Item_01 30k pp PST

Or in the case of droppable items, immediately ships them off onto his mule in bazaar called "Bazmuleboi".

In fact, a lot of the time, the items just rot with no takers.
But he doesn't let people who need them have them, he destroys them if they don't have the cash for it.

Think this is bad? Watch what happens if this poll they did actually goes Live. Every average joe and their mom will be farming areas constantly in order to sell the items/plat for real life $$.
A big part of EQ will be utterly ruined if this happens.

I would jump at any opportunity to put people like the guy above, and Yantis, out of business, in a heart beat.

Alerka

Heh, I'm out of this thread. One person in general's ignorance of the real world offends me so greatly that I fear this may be moved to rants if I continue posting.

MODERATOR: Please lock this post. It has spiraled way off topic and is growing extremely ugly.