Main Menu

Help I want to start 2 boxing on 1 computer

Started by griff10, July 19, 2006, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

griff10

I have recently decided to 2 box on the same computer with dual monitors, and need some advise since i dont have the greatest computer mind.  My system is 400 DELL XPS 2GB ram, Video Card is 256 MB PCI Express x 16 nVidia GeForce 6800, Pent D Processor 930 with Dual Core 3gz, 800 FSB.  I want to be able to put one charactor screen on one monitor and the other charactor screen on the other monitor.  My questions are:

1.  I know that you need to purchase 2 accounts.  I have the first account downloaded EQ Tit. on the computer.  When I purchase the other EQ Tit. account do i need to download the disks on the computer?  Or can I use the EQ Tit software already on my computer for both accounts?  (Login through patcher, then when charactor is loaded, repeat again for second charactor).

2. Is it possible to move one character screen to one of the monitors and put the other on the other monitor?  If so do I need this EQwin program to do this or can i just do it through Win XP?

Any input would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks

maxawesome

Comments inline:

Quote from: griff10 on July 19, 2006, 05:10:35 PM
I have recently decided to 2 box on the same computer with dual monitors, and need some advise since i dont have the greatest computer mind.  My system is 400 DELL XPS 2GB ram, Video Card is 256 MB PCI Express x 16 nVidia GeForce 6800, Pent D Processor 930 with Dual Core 3gz, 800 FSB.  I want to be able to put one charactor screen on one monitor and the other charactor screen on the other monitor.  My questions are:

1.  I know that you need to purchase 2 accounts.  I have the first account downloaded EQ Tit. on the computer.  When I purchase the other EQ Tit. account do i need to download the disks on the computer?  Or can I use the EQ Tit software already on my computer for both accounts?  (Login through patcher, then when charactor is loaded, repeat again for second charactor).

No, you won't have to download everything all over. First, and foremost, because you're using one computer to do this, you will need to use EQWindows or WinEQ2.0 (I personally recommend WinEQ2). That is because they have the necessary code to allow your computer to run two simultaneus instances of 'eqgame.exe' without freaking out. Once you've done that, you can use the same install of EQ to run both instances.

Quote from: griff10 on July 19, 2006, 05:10:35 PM
2. Is it possible to move one character screen to one of the monitors and put the other on the other monitor?  If so do I need this EQwin program to do this or can i just do it through Win XP?

I think that for your intended setup, unless you MUST have two monitors, and unless you've already bought them both, I would recommend getting a slightly bigger monitor than you have (nothing below 20-21") and springing for a 1year account with Lavishsoft, which will let you do split-screen view with WinEQ 2.0. I think the problem you'll find with your current setup is that unless your video card natively supports multiple monitors (not just two output jacks - i.e. DVI and Analog), I doubt the second screen for the second account will work very well. My experience doing what you're describing hasn't been very good.

Any input would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks

[/quote]

Kanan

coupla other things you will need to do:

1) copy over your eq directory to a new one, with different name.  This will be your boxing account.

2) Make another shortcut, pointing to this new directory.  Make sure in its properties, that it says to "start in" the proper directory.  I'd had issues with this in the past and recently a friend was having issues too.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

maxawesome

Quote from: Kanan on July 19, 2006, 06:13:11 PM
coupla other things you will need to do:

1) copy over your eq directory to a new one, with different name.  This will be your boxing account.

2) Make another shortcut, pointing to this new directory.  Make sure in its properties, that it says to "start in" the proper directory.  I'd had issues with this in the past and recently a friend was having issues too.

You don't have to do this if you use WinEQ 2.0. I know because I'm using it, and I haven't had to do this. No lag issues either -- and you have a better rig than me by far.

Taiglin

Do this at your own risk but I recently put an exception for the EQ directory in my AV's real time scan and it makes a flippin huge difference how fast the game spins up even on the second instance if I run one.

While you don't have to create a separate folder for the second instance one thing you could do (in theory) is get some sort of USB gaming device like an N52 and tie it to that second instance. Would allow you to play both toons almost like you had 2 keyboards. Again I say in theory because I have never tried this.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

griff10

Thank you to all that responded.  I am going to purchase WinEQ2 and see how that works.  They advertise that it works well with dual monitors.  We'll see.  Otherwise (I have a 19" monitor) ill try the split screen.  If i can figure out how to set up this program.

Khauruk

Check out rpgexpert for an article on boxing w/ EQ.  (Yeah...amazing that there's something good there w/ all the crap).  One guy wrote a long indepth article on how to optimize one computer for multiple accounts.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Ikkorus

I run multiple accounts on the same computer all the time without WinEQ2 or EQWindows with no problems at all.