Main Menu

am i still paying for nothing

Started by zzmaller, November 04, 2004, 07:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereki

I like the logic of Bengali's suggestion.

Just to help quantify it, for a non-penalty race, level 59 is roughly 4-5 AAs; going from 51-60, at 50% AA you hit 55 and Baron at the same time, then 59 a little after grabbing Venerable, and you get MGB just after hitting 61.  On that basis, 60-65 is going to be around 25 or so AAs, which means that the penalty, just going from 60 to 65, is worth 5 or 6 AAs.  People gave figures for the AA equivalence of 66-70 back when Omens started, but I don't remember now what they were.

I still think that the comparative sitting regen rates are unbalanced, however.

Quote from: LatangErm, you KNEW about the penalties when you created your char. You get more regen and ac than ogres and barbs and vah shir. When you created your character you must have known that, and that it cost more in exp. Made your bed, (and bragged about your ac and regen) so lie in it.

That's not a very intelligent comment.  Many iksars/trolls were made before level 65 or even 70 existed.  They didn't know about changing gear types in PoP and further, and they didn't know what AAs would become available for all in PoP and beyond.  They also didn't know about the sitting regen changes.  In fact, if knowing the implications of a racial choice into the future invalidates their argument - then they win, because they couldn't know what changes SOE would come up with.

Eatbugs

*shrug*

As it happens, I did know the penalties when I started a Troll Beastlord - I'd played a Troll SK for a good long time before that.  The standing regen bonus was a great help in leveling, since I mostly soloed my way to 62.  At 70, I consider the 20% penalty to have been well spent, even though the extra standing regen doesn't make a huge difference against raid mobs.  (I do die well after all those silly casters in AE dot situations. :twisted:)

The sitting regen changes make me wonder if new Trolls are paying too high a penalty now, though.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

jitathab

Well if ikky want compensation for xp, vah shir should have compensation too.

We had a racial ability that was increased stamina regen at the cost of additional food intake.

Stamina regen was then made obsolete

We still consume double the food.

I will file an expenses claim for 1 million pp worth of Iron rations to compensate for this miscarriage of justice otherwise I demand they double Vah shir endurance regen.

Hereki

Stamina regen makes very little difference, and never did.  Safe fall, however, is worth a mint.  And, as a previous poster on this subject said, you knew all that when you made your race choice.

jitathab

Yeah I know, I should have stuck more smileys in so you all knew I was not being serious.

negrismorte

Off topic but ...

Quote from: HerekiStamina regen makes very little difference, and never did.  Safe fall, however, is worth a mint.  And, as a previous poster on this subject said, you knew all that when you made your race choice.

The stam regen would be a HUGE benne for zerkers.  They are really sucking on stam regen (the best they got right now is StamRegen 3 for 15 AAs).

Dummkopf

Nah, no class has problems with Stamina regen, melee classes have problems with endurance regen though. Stamina regen was always kinda worthless once your stamina was over 100.

Hereki

Exactly.  Swap stamina for endurance, like SOE originally implied it would be, and we suddenly have a new ball game.

negrismorte

oops, i meant endurance

since the end bar replaced my stam bar, I sometimes use the two interchangably  :?

Zaryzel

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Iksars get an innate AC Bonus, which if I recall really just amounted to 50 extra AC at level one. I might be wrong here though, I can't remember where I read this.

However, Trolls and Iksar both get Regen, and pay a price for it. While I don't mind a slight penalty for the regen, what I don't like is this:

Available Regen AAs that actually do anything for Trolls and Iksar: Innate Regeneration (+3 Regen).

Available Regen AAs that do anything for any other races: Innate Regeneration (+3 Regen), Natural Healing (+3 Regen), Body and Mind Rejuvenation (+1 Regen), Convalesence (+3 Regen), Healthy Aura (+5 Regen).

I remember way back when, SOE broke the ability for an Iksar or a Troll to take all those AA Regens and actually gain the benefits (Because, at the time, the regen was still potentially overpowering. Mobs didn't hit 700+ on the low end, they hit 200s on the higher end of exp mobs). These days, through items and AAs all the non-regen races can approach, and in some cases, pass, an Iksar or Troll's regen bonus.

I just don't understand the relevance of the penalty anymore. The regen helps at lower levels, yeah, sure. But not as much as the gear that's dirt cheap in the bazaar these days does. No one pays an exp penalty for that. At 60+, and especially 66+, the penalty just doesn't make sense. The regen isn't going to save you. 50hp/tick regen won't mean much to a mob that quads a thousand. These days, I'd say the penalty isn't justified.

I doubt anything will actually come of it though, since major issues are put on the back burner, why would something like an exp penalty get much attention from the Devs (Which, I have always really believed are like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, neat to think are real, sometimes you even get little presents to "prove" they exist, but they don't.)

Hereki

I believe that all regen AAs work for iksars and trolls.

What was changed was that iksars and trolls used to get double regen from the general regen AAs, but that was changed back to the same as other races.  They still get effectively double base regen compared to other races.

Regen is valuable in shortening downtime when soloing, and for necros to balance out lich spells, although this difference doesn't mean a lot post 50.  The difference was also largely cancelled out when all races gained extra sitting regen.

So I don't think that it is a screaming out loud black and white issue - but I do think that the exp penalty is too great compared to the benefits, given that the benefits have been significantly reduced, while the penalty hasn't.

Fin Beast

Wouldn't the ONLY fix possible be to take away the regens and AC bonus? So you can then complain that they took away the reason you picked the race to start with?

Karve

wouldn't it be better to keep the bonuses andp enalties until level 50, then set everyone on a level playing field.
That way you retain the ability to solo yourclass to 50,  and from thenon we all know it gets suitably hard enough to make no odds anyway.

Professional Mad Bastard.

Tatter

Once you hit 70 EXP penalty is nill and void .. hehe

Thats the key .. Get to 70 .. I love my iksar and would not change a thing for my fun times..

The AC and regan make a BIG diffrence in my personal exp.

I am a gimp and can tank fire EXP group .. Not as effecientlly as mabe a pally SK or warrior . But when the group is in a pickle .. I da man ! .

I have soloed the fire ele mobs there too . hehe . I am tough as nails and my AC regan bonus is the contributing factor.

Soo .. To get one you have to put up with the other . I hate leveling . I love AA cause you getta hear that ding more heh .
Feral Lord
Tatter [ http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1081882 ] L 70 BST
Tunare