Main Menu

Agro...fix?

Started by zzmaller, April 08, 2005, 08:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzmaller

tas another of my questions if this is wrong place feel free to move

in up and coming revion it seems agro will be reduced of removed from dots .
at a glance this is a good idea but on further thought i don't use dots for damage but for snap agro to save my little healer friends
so i think a high agro and low agro dot would be better to replace the onces we have now

so my question really is what spell combos can i use to get fast agro and but not hold or a set that can when tanking

Rarrum

With poison DoTs poofing, incapacitate is probably the simplest alternative.  It takes more casts of it for the same agro, but mana cost of several incapacitates is about like a Chimera Blood.  Other advantage is it debuffs the mob slightly (unless you were already casting it anyways, heh)

Flash of Light is "the" fastest casting agro spell, at 1.5s, and is extremely low mana.  Just have to be careful to keep whoever has the most agro inside melee range.

Drowsy is another option.  Very low mana like Flash of Light but without the blind side effect.  The only downside is it's 2.5s cast.

Sikelik

i simply chain slow, then incapacitate 2-3 times if i tank stuff ... then i judge a little based on group and exactly how much agro i really do need to generate.
[70 Wildblood] Sikelik (Iksar) <Tide>

Hereki

DoT aggro won't be removed, they will still generate considerable aggro from dps.  The only change is that poison dots will no longer aggro more than disease dots. 

Keonos

Do all that and what about your mana, you will keep going oom. It was better the way it was since our dots are not worth using for DPS. I would have to say in the uper end game your dots will land, MAYBE, 2 out of 5 times and on most mobs not at all. SO what do you do keep casting that dot and waste what time you have to DPS and all this time building up agro from a resisted spell, NO. We need to use our cold nukes since they get ressisted less, take less time to get damge out put in, and cost less mana.

Jkal_Shihar

Since this is an issue on mana, I have never gone OOm casting slow and incap, I have gone OOm cast dots and nuking when I had to tank. The .5 cast and 30sec recast makes tanking a bit viable but you lose DPS tanking anyways due to interrupts, stun'd, misses(riposte's) and chasing mob cause the cleric decided to CH ya inside of fast heal and HoT.
DoT's suck for tanking period, they take way to long to cast and you cant sustain aggro that way, you need to be casting faster spells for that. Even when the spell gets resisted you still gain aggro. I can sustain aggro with slow even if it doest stick first time and incap twice.
I duel wield as well with 3 procs. If I'm with a tank, he tries hard to peel aggro off me and thats just me slowing and incap'ing with casting 2 nukes.
I just cant understand how those that say they are having trouble keeping aggro , even snap aggro without casting a dot what they are doing that could be wrong. <boggle>
And this change also helps the other classes that cast poison base dots that felt like they never contributed to a group or raid. So even if you dont like it look what your shaman brethren think or that necro that likes to group think(and not the ones that are anti-social).
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

Tastian

Slow, incap, FoL (if you are careful), etc can all work.  The aggro is lower on the dots, but the big loss aggro wise is chimera which was just insane aggro with all the poison counters, however, it was also very mana intensive.  I used to run tainted for aggro back during LDoNs and EP tanking and never had a problem.  By using a combination of drowsy/sha's/incap I could still hold aggro well enough and keep my mana at an acceptable level.  It's a bit of a juggling situation and you have to pay more attention now I think.  I always watch for what casters are doing, if spells got resisted and are getting recast, etc.  Sometimes I'll double up early on an aggro spell (especially if I haven't proc'd much).  Overall though we can still generate quite a bit of aggro and tank reasonably well, but it's not as simple as chaining tainted or dropping a chimera from across the room hehe. 

Keonos

Yes all these are possible ways to still tank but none are mana feasable. I tank in every group im in, because i dont se the point in getting a tank when i can do it. We are using 2 to 3 X more mana now than we did before this patch if you a beastlord who likes to tank and are used to tank in raids. Even with this extra mana we use we still can not generate no where near the agro we could before and not even close to as fast. Before the patch i could pull agro of any one , unless its a war with loots of anger procs, by casting 3 spells.( Slow, Incap, Chimera and Turpeta for good measure to keep the agro), Now, if a person has very minmal agro on a mob this still works but if its a cleric/druid that has alot of healing agro built up its going to take to long to get agro and that healer is dead thus screwing the raid to a point.