Main Menu

Split Slow idea

Started by Rarrum, May 28, 2005, 10:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rarrum

This is just an idea I came up with a while back... it would require a little extra code to be implemented... but it would allow all 3 main slowing classes to still contribute when grouped together (or raiding together).

Slow could be divided up into 3 pieces that stacked.  All of the current slow spells would place 3 spells on the mob then when it landed, instead of 1.  Stacking on those 3 spells would be performed like normal stacking... the best % wins.

Each class's slow would then be the best at only 1 one of those 3 pieces.  Lets call the pieces A,B, and C for simplicity.

Lets use the highest spells all 3 classes gets as an example: Shaman's 75% slow, Enchanter's 70% slow, and Beastlord's 65% slow.

Shaman's slow might be made of the parts: A=40% B=20%, C=15%
Enchanter's could be: A=30%, B=25%, C=15%
Beastlord's could be: A=25%, B=20%, C=20%

So if only 1 slowing class is present, nothing changes.

Now, for example, if you have both a shaman and a beastlord:
from shaman, mob would be slowed 40% + 20% + 15%
add in beastlords (C gets overridden): 40% + 20% + 20%
=80% slowed mob

With a shaman + enchanter:
from shaman: 40% + 20% + 15%
enchanter replaces B: 40% + 25% + 15%
=80% slowed mob

With an enchanter + beastlord
from enchanter: 30% + 25% + 15%
Beastlord replaces C: 30% + 25% + 20%
=75% slowed mob

Or if all 3 classes are present:
From shaman: 40% + 20% + 15%
Enchanter replaces B: 40% + 25% + 15%
Beastlord replaces C: 40% + 25% + 20%
=85% slowed mob

This lets all 3 of the main slowing classes at least contribute to slowing on raids and in groups.  Since nearly everything mitigates slow a reasonable amount nowadays, the few extra % slowed, from when more than one slower is present, shouldn't cause too much disturbance.

Karve

Rather cunning, I hope this gets some decent thought from the devs.

Professional Mad Bastard.

Dreead

In my opinion the system is fine the way it is, and doesn't need a change. The 3 slowing classes don't really all need to be slowing 1 mob to get it full slowed.
Everyone in raids and groups already has their roll, beasts are probably going to be DPS, help with slows. Chanters mez, and shamans debuff.

If is ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tastian

Something like this has been mentioned before.  One of the biggest problems though is that slow is another one of those things that sony seems to feel is at its ceiling now.  They changed turgurs from scaling up to 80%, they've added mitigation all over, etc.  If they were to allow 85% slow in any combination they'd probably feel that a lot of encounters needed re-tuning.

Rarrum

They might need to make a minor adjustment to a several fights if this were done, but I don't see it affecting much before PoPower... most bosses before that are either trivial enough already due to their age that you can 1-group (or solo!) them, or are already immune to slow.

Something needs done though about our raid utility, if not this than something else.  Our shaman slow stuff as it's incoming now (anti-resist slow + better hp and mitigation compared to PoPower era mobs).  That doesn't stop me from trying to slow stuff still on raids, and I do... but it's rather disheartening to have it completely replaced within 3 seconds 90% of the time.  Often it doesn't even take hold when I cast while the mob is still incoming.  Our old role of pre-slowing has basically been lost.

That really doesn't leave us much on raids.  DPS is something most classes do, and we're not meant to be a top-dps class, so thats not really a role.

I guess the old "we'll die so someone else doesn't have to" is about it, and I do intentionally push my agro so that I'm the next to die when the MT goes down on txevu/tacvi stuff, to help buy time for a tank switch. I suppose they gave us kitties 9 lives for a reason...

Tastian

Believe me I know what you mean rarr.  The thread in general about pet proc utility is just another idea to maybe get something added.  Our utility has taken a big hit and perfection + SA just doesn't cut it.  The slow idea is one that has been shot down a lot, but it's worth a shot.  *shrugs*

hakaaba

Speaking of slows... when is the new slow (shas legacy) supposed to go live? Have any insight besides 'soon'?  They only promised it to us 2 months(ish) ago now

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))