Main Menu

Thoughts on Ranger/Shammy duo?

Started by Khauruk, June 21, 2006, 06:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khauruk

Howdy,

It's looking like I'll be able to start playing again this fall, but probably won't be able to raid on my BST how I'd like.  At least not on the level I'd like to, due to lag w/ a satellite connection.  So, I figger I'll be doing a smaller guild thing again, and I was thinking about a ranger/shammy duo.

Here's what I get:
Outdoor pulling
Fake CC (root/shammy offtank)
Moderate tankability - will need to concentrate on AC/defensive AAs.
Slows/Haste
Heals - HoTs, and some self heals w/ ranger.
reasonable dps
Track
Pet pulling w/ shammy
Reasonable buffs - AC, stats, ranger self buffs, canni to help make Clarity not really necessary, shammy HP stacks w/ ranger HP buffs, Attack buffs.
Ranged dps possibilities

My questions - how will ranger tankability get me through the 50s and 60s?  Will I need to stop for a long time to work on defensive AAs at 60 to continue w/ this?

What am I missing?
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Gunzak

Well a Ranger is a better tank then a beastlord so with a Shaman healing you should have no problem.  If you wish to work on defense AAs then you can have your Shaman do healing AAs which will be a double benefit for your duo.  Defensive AAs will depend upon the content you are doing.  I like to solo in GE where defensive AAs arent really necessary but are helpful just for saving mana on heals.  If you plan on tanking spots like Nobles Causeway, Wall of Slaughter or higher then defensive AAs will be a big benefit if not mandatory.

I had an old guildie who would trio 69.2 Hard with a Ranger, Cleric and Enchanter.  Cleric and Enchanter would invis, Ranger would snare and run out of zone, train would break up and he would zone back in and grab the single.  With Enchanter slowing and Cleric healing his Ranger had no problems.  As for the Shaman I was in a RSS group when the tank got charmed from Pyrillen Researcher and I had to tank.  Well the healer was a Shaman and she was able to keep me alive and we killed the named.  If a Shaman can keep a Beastlord, who tanks worse then a Ranger, alive then you shouldn't have too many problems.

Don't forget the Ranger also gets SNARE.  If you grab a third member you can do 69.1 kite missions all day long by agro kiting with flame lick and having your shaman dot and pet attack.

Khauruk

I'm thinking that the Ranger would be easier to gear up for tanking semi-casual than most other similar classes (can get reasonably high AC/shielding, vs. the more difficult avoidance for BST/monkeys), and has a couple really nice tricks up it's sleeve vs. a zerker.  I'll prolly be using mainly 2HS/Blunt on the ranger though - I just like it.  Goal is to at least duo MPG - My bst can solo there, so oughta maybe be doable, despite the gear disparity.

Anybody have an idea on what would be ranger-tankable w/ OOW/DON/DoD cursor drops, MPG trials, etc, level gear?  Assume at least PoP defensives....I have never played one, and I usually tanked when grouped w/ rangers on the Beastie....
TURNCOAT!!!!!

howard

I think Sk better Rng .....
Bazaar Uber chain armor more expensive than plate armor
I am a evil trader in bazaar before ~~~ lol
And Shd is best tank beside war open def disc
Hp tap let Shd hp drop slower than other tank
Hp/mp tap no level limit , Pally stun have ....

Khauruk

I've thought about a plate tank, but I really want more dps than those have available.  Ranger seems to give me some of the Sk tricks, some of the tankability, more dps, and some nice new tricks (<3 track, bow-kiting possibilities in a scrape...).
TURNCOAT!!!!!