Main Menu

Steeltrap Jaws

Started by Timberghost, September 25, 2006, 06:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenusten

Well then I can't see even a situational use as a tanking BL.  Using the pet to slow adds means the pet will damage the adds and put them into summoning mode.  That will lead to nothing but tears.

Kanan

the purpose of it is to have a greater slow that is proc dependent.

They don't intend us to have a slow spell that we can just cast once and be able to depend upon for a long time.

They intend it to be like other slow spells, in that we pretty much have to cast it once, at least, per mob.  And I am looking at this from the beastlord point of view.  This spell is intended to replace us memming a regular slow, to grant us add'l agro control by shuffling the agro the slow generates over to our pet.

The execution of the procs sucks obviously.

Kenusten... why are you concerned at all about it summoning?  If you're gonna be tanking, you'd be in melee range.  The only time it summoning would be a concern would be if you were kiting... which bsts are incredibly poorly designed to do.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Vidyne

It's still situational here for raid mobs that "need" to be slowed that might not get slowed instantly by shamans/enchanters... or when we don't have those classes on hand for smaller raids or bad luck with classes.

It still is much too costly/short for any use towards replacing our casting slows...
300mana too expensive for a proc that evaporates in 30seconds or less.... and never lands most of the time.
100mana with 8 charges, or 300mana with 2min duration on the proc buff(not slow.. it can stay at one minute i guess).

For me to see many beastlords using it, you would have to make it mana efficient to cast it on pet before every mob or make it a static duration that gives us time to med the 300mana.
I don't see it being used when a new mob is in camp every 45seconds or less... which happens in some experience groups, especially older content.

and make it actually capable of proccing...

hakaaba

i don't know about you, but pets are generally not exactly welcomed with open arms on raids, especially sending them in early.  There's also the fact that you're risking getting rampage by doing that.  But, yes, it is one potential use assuming they ever fix the stupid spell.

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

Kenusten

I am concerned about summoning on multi-pulls.  I am not concerned about the mob I am tanking summoning, but the rest while they are being locked down.   Those mobs getting damaged can lead to the CC or the healer getting summoned.  Even if the damage is not enough to cause serious harm to them, the summoning still causes problems by interuptting their spells that they are casting.

Otuol

We got an answer via another thread  :-D.  It's not what some might want to hear, but at least Prathun gave his nod to the problem so is aware of the issue.  I just hope no one flames on about his not wanting to post when he has no answer like the paladin community correspondent did  :roll:.  I would expect more out of a correspondent.  Oh well, there's your answer for the time being fellow beastlords.

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board.id=Veterans&message.id=339437#M339437

Kanan

coupla the people on that thread were a might bit more acidic than I'd prefer, but the thrust of their argument is sound.  Some response is preferred over the flat out silence they so often give.

Hell.. when Zajeer came in & said he was happy with bst mitigation once, we stfu about it.  If Prath had simply commented on the Steeltrap thread that he was aware that we have concerns and had it on his list to look at, I'm sure we all woulda been content.

Kitathia

One big thing I'd like them to change about Steltrap.. if they do intend on us having it ( I still rather get to cast the slow myself).. I'd like to cast Steeltrap and NOT have to switch targets back to the mobs.

I'm overjoyed that they fixed our epic clicky and I'd love if Steeltrap worked the same way..

KitKat

Savage Spirit http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1265061 KitKat -80 Beastlord - Quellious

Otuol

I choose: Resurrection!

Anyway  :roll: I find it quite interesting that today a paladin posted about a spell/item problem they had about DA hammer and Nodyin agve this response: http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board.id=Veterans&message.id=347266#M347266.  Now how in the hell can they look into paladin issues with a spell being possibly bugged but we get told by Prathun they more or less don't have time to look into it.  I think we are being blown off and lied to.

Kanan

their tool is a viable raid tool.. That's big reason why it actually gets some attention, vs many of ours that are useless in raids.

Prathun

I've changed Rank 1 of Steeltrap Jaws to a Mana Flare type of proc on Beta.  If it works OK I'll change all the ranks so that they behave in that manner.  Sorry for the delay on this.  I've got a lot of time this Beta to look at spells ... in general ... so I'll be making a number of tweaks in the coming month.
Thanks for the feedback,
-Prathun

Urim

Thank you Prath for coming and letting us know about the change. Although its likely not to change many people's opinion on the spell, at least now it will be a usable version should people attempt to use it.
Maelin Starpyre
[80 Arch Animist] Urim the Library Guardian (Iksar) <Crimson Tempest>

'Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity'

Otuol

Quote from: Prathun on January 11, 2007, 02:03:58 AM
I've changed Rank 1 of Steeltrap Jaws to a Mana Flare type of proc on Beta.  If it works OK I'll change all the ranks so that they behave in that manner.  Sorry for the delay on this.  I've got a lot of time this Beta to look at spells ... in general ... so I'll be making a number of tweaks in the coming month.
Thanks for the feedback,
-Prathun

Prathun,

Thank you so much for finally looking into this.  I must say I was shocked to see this and I truly appreciate it.  I know I lobbied hard on this and I apologize if I busted your balls a little, but it just seemed like there was no end in sight for the fix.  Again thank you and I sure hope you are being given the time by your management team to fix spells, because I honestly think you want to get these all in order, it just simply came down to time.

Epee

Another patch and does this work?

Nusa

Stuff being changed on BETA is most likely not going to be seen until the next expansion.