Main Menu

Thanks for the loot lesson

Started by Funzo, February 01, 2004, 12:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac173

Politics is the art of lying.

Statistics is the science of lying.

Statistics can prove BOTH sides of any statistical argument, using the same research. Ask a statistician.

Hrann

Don't confuse statistics with psychology people.  Statistics are hard and fast and verifiable and you can base predictions upon it.  What many of you are referring to is the way rhetoric can be used to convince people of things using statistics, when speaking to people who don't thoroughly understand what the statistics are really showing.

Coprolith

like i said, statistics don't lie, statistians do  :D

"there are lies, damned lies and statistics"

PS: How to lie with Statistics and Damned lies and statistics are great references on how to spot bad statistics and all the tricks and cheats used by "statisticians" to sell their products/research
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Elrathin

Quote from: HrannDon't confuse statistics with psychology people.  Statistics are hard and fast and verifiable and you can base predictions upon it.  .

Ummm statistics is only as good as the number of people you ask or poll.  I.E. ask 4 people what they think of EQ and your not going to get an acurate response as if you ask 150 million people.  Don't automatically assume the statistics as being the factual response of many people unless you get an equal poll.

-Elrathin-
-65 Feral Lord-

Hrann

That's exactly the point Elrathin.  A politico type may try to sell you a poll of 4 people, but the statistics would show that a poll of 4 people has a margin of error too large to tell anything definitively.

Xilbeast

Statistics are capable of proving anything, 8 out of 10 people know this.

TerjynPovar

I'm reminded of Homer Simpson...something like

"Facts schacts.  You can use facts to prove anything even remotely true!"
Terjyn, Retired Feral Lord on the Povar Server

Aggy

Quote from: Coprolith

... since the chance of rolling a tie gets larger as the range of the roll decreases.

Being the nice guy that I am, I would like to give Cop a chance to rephrase that statement.

:)

Coprolith

QuoteBeing the nice guy that I am, I would like to give Cop a chance to rephrase that statement.

This is the Rant section, so you have to be nice.  :)
Something wrong with that statement?

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Taiglin

Bah, the only thing I know about numbers is that there are three types of people in the world - those that can count and those that can't. Don't need no statistian to tell you that.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Yiktiki

Starlighte - Tauren Druid - Level 70
Misscreant - Blood Elf Warlock - Level 70
Kilrogg Server

RETIRED
Elder Yiktiki Tumbo - Feral Lord
Starlighte Starbrighte - Pocket Druid
Luclin Server

Kashmiir Battlekat

TerjynPovar

Along a similar vein as these stories...was in an LDoN the other day where 3 Architect's Bejeweled Chestplates dropped.

They complained loudly that we couldn't just roll once and give the chestplate to the top 3 rollers, as "that wasn't fair!"

After the person did this, they stopped playing and just sat and watched the rest of the LDoN.  I really wish you could kick people out of the adventure and not just out of the group.
Terjyn, Retired Feral Lord on the Povar Server

Dorrogtr T`A

Geez, Spoott.  :? Where the hell did you get all that info from? >_<  :!: