Main Menu

50s spell drops and DPS

Started by hughman, December 20, 2004, 05:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hughman

Ok as a mid 50s BL I am finding it really frustrating getting my new Proc spell (Spirit of Flame).  This is nothing new, as I still don't even have my level 54 proc spell.  But this isn't just a post about drop rates.  Our procs are a noticable part of our over all DPS.  Being stripped of an upgrade in these levels really hurts.  I had thought about bypassing the spell entirely, as I had with 54 Spirit of Snow, but then I looked.  That would leave me with using a level 53 proc spell all the way through level 63.

Now, to come back to the start of this idea.  SoF and SoS are notoriously hard to drop.  I about had a heart attack when I first saw it for sale in the bazaar for 16k (on Prexus).  Having camped it in the "easy camp" of the Tenebrous Mountains, I begin to understand the price.  We killed that mob around 8 times in 4 hours and no drop (though we did drop the Katar.. nice weap bad roll  :x  ).

While the camp is easier these days, with higher and stronger characters, it is also harder due to a decrease in the attractiveness of the zone and the value of the drops.  I do not see the logic in forcing people to endure long nasty camps for vital spells, especially when those camps do not get significantly easier over time but harder, due to population shift.

Is it possible that SoE could take a look at the drop rates, and kill rates of not only our spells, but also of the other spells of like measure.  I know that there are several other classes with similar "bottle neck" spells.  They might have had a purpose in the day, to be restricted, but now it is just another hoop to jump through on the path to joining the rest of the game.

Tahnel, 56 BL on Prexus.

jitathab

TBH I levelled without these spells, and before the Spiritual lines came out and didnt have a problem.

I suggest you just push on past these levels, the proc is not that great a part of your overall DPS and higher levels will increase it more than just the proc spell.

The Ten mountains camp can be done solo with ease at 62, I used to cash farm it all 4 named in 1 hour which is the pop time. Must have spent 40+ hours there and got the drop once.

Hereki

Flame and Snow are considered situational dps - ie use Flame on Velious raids, etc.  You will find that almost all beastlords have levelled without them; for instance, I bought Snow in Bazaar at around 63 - just 2 days before it dropped in a Ssra raid :(, and I still don't have Flame :( :(.

The camp for Flame in the Deep is considered easier, in that it drops more often, possibly.  However, it is a harder camp to get to and keep.  Solo at 65 is possible, probably earlier, and duo isn't too hard.

However, consider that we are the only class which has all of their pre-60 spells on vendors apart from these 2 procs.  We get it easier than all the rest.  And even without these two procs, our 50s are some of our easiest levels to grind through.

Pre-60, the only minor tweak that I'd consider asking for would be to upgrade the green pet in late 40s.  We are the only proper pet class whose pet turns green at any point (excluding shamans and SKs, of course).

Jzath

I was happy to be the only beastlord on a raid to kill Greig.  It was my second time as a beastlord and both times he dropped SoF.  The first time I was too young to claim it.  This time it was mine! 

It is not huge but it is noticeable, but more so since it is rare.  I have gotten a few comments from my groups when they see the spell name from my leadership aa's congratulating me on getting it.
Jzath, beastlord
70 bloodmoons
FV server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1215044

Helspawn

Personally I was truely upset at the cost of the spells and the rarity of the drops.  So in true Beastlord fashion I said the hell with it and leveled away without till 63.  What I did to offset the lower level proc was always have pet toys with me.  I have it easy my girlfriend has a 66 Mage.  So I recomend just bypassing those 2 spells and wait till 63.  Your gonna love Relic...hehe

Nusa

Heh...I did without snow and flame for ages. Got them both eventually, after I'd been 65 for a long time, but can't say I find any use for them now. Snow I picked up as an XTC drop in ssra. Flame came off the named mobs in the Khati Sha event in AC (2 dropped, and 5 of the 7 bst's present needed). Compared to some other classes, I'd say that we get off easy on acquiring most of our spells.