Main Menu

Ancient vs Normal resists

Started by Rarrum, January 27, 2006, 06:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rarrum

While a bigger sample size is probably needed to say anything for sure... since a lot of people are talking about how our ancient gets resisted more... I figured I'd take a look at my logs via a simple search.

In the last couple weeks...
(70 ancient)
379: "torn by an icy claw"
119: "resisted the ancient: savage ice"

(69 normal)
112: "impaled by a glacier spear"
26: "resisted the glacier spear"

(65 ancient)
183: "encased in frozen chaos"
38: "resisted the ancient: frozen chaos"

(65 normal)
14: "s skin freezes"
1: "resisted the trushar"

-----

Trushar's is way too little samples, so I'll ignore that.

Looking at the others though:
Ancient: Savage Ice = 119/498 = resisted about 24% of the time.
Glacier Spear = 26/138 = resisted about 19% of the time.
Ancient: Frozen Chaos = 38/221 = resisted about 17% of the time.

-----

From this sample it does look like at least our 70 ancient is resisted more... though it's possible that it's just the situation it's used in most makes it prone to that.

It was mostly from raids on anguish, tacvii, DoN and a little DoDH.  I usually have 2-3 nukes up... burn them all on bosses.  On trash I often throw the best nuke thats up on something thats trying to run or that enrages.

Either way... I'll poke at my logs in a couple weeks again to see if I get the same results.

Nusa

Try swapping the 70 and 69 spells in your spell list for your next data run. You obviously toss your first spell earlier and more often than the others, and I betcha its more likely to be cast before the mob is debuffed than the other two. Debuffs, of course, skew the whole test in a raiding environment.

Going to Lucy and looking at the raw data for both spells doesn't reveal any significant differances in values other than max damage and description numbers.

Rarrum

That's quite possible.  I never realy thought they were different, but people kept saying they were... that there may be part of the reason.

Oiingo

This one would be easy to test.  Go make a betabuffed character on the test server and fight some NPCs in the arena.  Then debuffs and timing would no longer be an issue.
Predator Oiingo Boiingo (80 beasty) of <Triality> on Maelin Starpyre

Dummkopf

Gunzak

Go to PoF C1 and test it there.  Mobs should all have the same resists and if your soloing then you don't need to worry about anyone casting debuffs.

Rarrum

Spent a couple hours tonight in RS just nuking mobs of another group.  They had a shaman, so malos may have landed at different times, but to help counteract that effect I tried to alternate what order I casted the nukes in (mob 1 = nuke1 then nuke2, mob2 = nuke2 then nuke1, etc).

(70 ancient)
88: "torn by an icy claw"
7: "resisted the ancient: savage ice"
or resisted about 7.37% of the time

(69 normal)
87: "impaled by a glacier spear"
7: "resisted the glacier spear"
or resisted about 7.45% of the time.

---------

So looks like they actually are the same chance... no strange things going on to make them different.