Main Menu

Boxing on 1 Computer Broken?

Started by danaconda, September 04, 2004, 11:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danaconda

I 3-box. 2 characters on 1 computer, and 1 on the other. I recently downoaded off of Test server and later tried boxing on my regular server. Seems that maybe because of Test or whatever, I can no longer /follow my main toon using the background character. I get similar results that I got when using EQ PlayNice (meaning that the background char lags out so badly that he cannot autofollow).  :x

Anyone else having this problem? And if so, is it regular server or test server specific? Thanks in advance.
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

Skrunch

I have this problem as well with my tag along enchanter box.  Have all the bells and whistles turned off on his account and clip down to nothing.  He still runs slightly faster than walking..even with SoW and SoE.  Play on Veeshan.  I have yet to find a solution for it.

danaconda

I'm not really worried about my settings... they've been the same for as long as I've been boxing on this computer. This is a very recent thing. Figure maybe it has to do with me downloading off of Test where they have the new memory PlayNice thingie in effect. At least I think they do :)
Dedlee Beatdown retired

Kreseth

We do & it totally destroyed the ability for my second account to follow my main.  The background process just doesn't demand enough CPU time to keep up.  Nice in a lot of other ways although it made raiding really, really unpleasant with two characters as rapidly switching back and forth ends up making both versions respond very badly :|

--Kreseth

danaconda

I will try logging onto Test and maybe doing a /feedback tonight. Ask them if they can make this new "feature" an option that can be turned off in the eqclient.ini file or something. Hopefully they are able to do that, because otherwise I will just drop one of my accounts, since I don't plan on buying a third computer just to box in EQ.  :roll:
Dedlee Beatdown retired

Dakat

I was having the exact same problem.

AS far as I can tell.  When using the TEST server as a beta is not a great idea. Since not many people play on test 2 boxing. They miscalculated the lag response that a regular server has.

Anyways, The only fix I found to get rid of being unable to autofollow my other account on the same computer.

In the Options area, before actually logging into the game, Mid Mapping and Texture Cache has to be turned off "remove the Check".

After I did this, I didnt have any problems at all using auto follow.

Shatho

After patching in OOW yesterday, I can no longer 2 box on my computer.  And I just built it to handle two instances, full graphics.  They need to fix whatever they did.

Wrek Increw Druid
Mens  Monk
Quellious

wilcoxon

There is a definite problem with auto-follow when running 2 instances on 1 computer.  It used to work just fine.

I've got a 3.2GHz P4 with HT turned on so, theoretically, no process can claim more than 50% of my cpu.  I even installed a second copy of EQ and turned off all graphics options and clip plane down to 50%.

I can still run two instances on one computer, but auto-follow doesn't work.  It appears that each time the character on auto-follow moves, it starts out heading in the direction it was facing and will only turn slowly (tending to run in very large wide circles).  I verified by watching the character on auto-follow from a different computer (I have 3 accounts).

Essant

Follow seems to work fine for me as long as I just use standard EQ client.

EQ windows seems broken for me now though :(
Elder Essant Le'Fur
70 Vah Shir Beastlord of the Rathe
Brotherhood of the Spider
My Stuff!

bark

I wouldn't call it BROKEN.

Autofollow sucks now, but everything else you'd want to do is just fine. I try to switch back and forth between the toons while they're running. A second or two every once in a while helps the following instance stay on track. I still end up having to drive each individually a lot now, though.

danaconda

I am going to test out EQ's window. I am going to try what Essant says. If that works I will use it. Alt-tab'ing isn't a big deal for me, so If it works, great! No more need for EQ Windows.

Anyone else try EQ's own windowed version and get good auto-follow results? I can't play tonight or tomorrow so I will test it out on Wednesday or Thursday and post my results.
Dedlee Beatdown retired

negrismorte

Not just an AF issue for me.  I can 2-box on same system no prob in most zone, but the second I try to do it in OOW, my frame rate drops to less than one.

chuteshock

Yeah the auto follow feature is broken big time. I recently installed a Gforce FX 5700 Ultra and overclocked it just for OOW.  It did not matter at all because I tried to 2 box on a raid and both screens had terrible frame rate. WIth one account running though it runs like a champ. I honestly think it is either the new graphics drivers out or someting to do with OOW. Whatever it is it's seriously pissing me off that people with mid to high end machines cannot 2 box on one machine.

Skrunch

Still having issues with auto follow.  Also, I don't even bother trying to box in OoW anymore..framerate is just stupid slow with both in there.  They broke something good there.  Sometimes I have the same issues in GoD zones.