Main Menu

Crown of Deceit

Started by Otuol, June 02, 2004, 08:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otuol

I have a question regarding faction for the froglok in guk.  I know on some quests an enchanter/bard can charm the mob in question to get it to indifferent to you.  Does this work on this mob as well?  I can't see right off hand why it wouldn't, except that they coded it not to maybe.

Hereki

No, because you need much higher faction than indifferent.

Liga

I see that youre an ogre so this quest is going to be even harder for you.  You will need the scalp of the ghoul lord for the faction modifier.  Then you just need to find some ae class and spam them with a spell(I used bracer of the hidden) while they ae the place.  Have your pet kill off any stragglers.  With my cleric ae'ing the mobs my bst pulled, it took me about two weeks of on/off ae'ing in lguk to get the faction necessary.  Ive heard that some people just let a mob wander off instead of killing it to pull the mobs for them.  Whatever works for you, go for it.  Not like lguk is anything to be feared anymore.

There is also the risky idea of going afk for extended periods of time with your pet up.  Say the Assassin room?  The mobs with agro on spawn and your pet will kill them for you.  You get the faction and dont do anything.  This is frowned upon by guides/gms and you might get trained, but its a viable way to get faction.

Urim

You can also get bigger faction hits (and some exp too) by fighting in Old Sebilis. When i worked on this quest i just spent a ton of time soloing pretty much entire zone. You can get some alright exp plus a whole lotta plat and gems to sell. Much less boring then lguk and more profitable.
Maelin Starpyre
[80 Arch Animist] Urim the Library Guardian (Iksar) <Crimson Tempest>

'Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity'

Dakat

You also get + faction with the live side of Guk by doing Sro LDONs.  I am amiable just by doing LDON's alone.  I'm about 50 win and 3 losses (hard losses) in Sro camp.

Otuol

Dakat I didn't know that.  That's pretty interesting.  I've done about 10 dozen clearings or so of lguk so far and I'm still ready to attack.  I've also done quite a bit of S Ro missions.

Anyhow, the reason I mentioned the charm method is because I have the ghould lord scalp and guktan potions.  I know with these 2 items alone I can get myself to threateningly last I checked (which was seveal clearings ago).  I suppose I will have to try it by getting a regular old froglok charmed.  Aren't there some puppet strings you can get to do this or something like that?

Hereki

No, you can't do this, because you will still be at indifferent to a charmed mob.

Dakat

I have not tried this or seen/nor heard of someone trying this:

Get an enchanter with Project Illusion: Frogluk and have them cast it on you.  Then check your faction with them that way.

If you or someone trys it, let me know, it would be interesting to see.

Liga

I tried that and it didnt help my faction all that much if it did help at all.  My faction level didnt change when I had illusions on me so Im not sure if it did help.  This was in March, I believe.

Otuol

Well I just finished this quest the other day so I am going to drop the information that I have learned.

Faction - This was a major pain.  Getting to dubious requires quite a bit of killing.  Getting out of dubious wasn't fun either.  From there amiable is the next stumbling block.

Illusions - Yes, Guktan illusion does work!  It's not much I think, but I did receive a bump in faction with it.  If you can find a druid with indoor feral pack this is the way to go.  This alone is a HUGE boost in faction.  It will drop you into indifferent from ready to attack.

Items - I also got an ornate velium pendant from the councilers in Icewell Keep.  they have 5 charges of alliance on them for +100 points of faction.  If you are evil you can also get a scalp of the ghoul lord which gives +250 faction.

Places to hunt - I hunted both sebilis and and lower guk.  If you are of level to get good xp from Seb, sure go there.  If you are at or close to 65 go to lower guk.  I couldn't tell for sure if there were bigger faction hits in Seb and from everything I've read it is only a rumor at this point.  It is far easier to clear lower guk (if not extremely boring) and get more faction hits.

All in all, me being evil, I got myself up to amiable base faction.  I then got an indoor feral pack cast on me, then put my scalp on, then promptly cast my necklace on the friendly druid helping me out  :P  (thus wasting my last charge), but I was easily in warmly.  Good luck to everyone else attempting this quest.

P.S. - I didn't list anything about the other quest items needed because they are easily found on Alla's.  If you need a little push in the right direction here is a link for two of the more difficult peices to get: Velium Mastodon Fur Cloak (buy it because all mammoths in WW are stuck underground and can only be earth fished out by classes with an AE) and Reet Froglok Crown

Zatrik

I've heard barbies give a good faction modifier, but I never tried it.  I had indiff base faction when I tried it (amiably with scalp) and froggy wasn't enough to get me to warmly.  Imp illusion however put me at ally, I believe they nerfed this on PC side though.
65 Beastlord of Al'Kabor
Visit our little Mac server at eqmac.com or if you have a Mac download the client and get a free cd key here.