Main Menu

Looking at the proposed spells for a beastlord at 70

Started by SilvermaeneRZ, September 02, 2004, 03:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvermaeneRZ

I have a question about the validity and useful ness of another diesease based dot like plaque.  How many beastlords actually use plaque at level 65?  I know I dont.. I think the only time I ever did was fighting the Emp in Ssra.  Otherwise its a rotting spell in my spellbook and has no place in my normal spell line up.  Honestly as it is neighter Scorpian Venom, nor Turepta Blood find themselves on my regular spell line up either.  I would love to see a disease based spell that did more per tick and had a shorter duration.  We dont root rot, and im not interested in a duration fight.  Most of the encounters are all about DPS, and imo long duration minimal damage disease dots really no longer have a function in EQ.  Maybe I am missing something but man at level 65 with 255 aa's I don't see it.  Anyways feel free to share you opnions with me and perhaps Tastian could look at this item as well.  The spell I am talking about is called festering malady its duration is 2.1 minutes and does 72 dmg intially and then 78 per tick.  All this for a dreamy 375 mana.

Caali

I use it, but only when I solo/duo mobs that stay alive more than 90s. Otherwise not realyl worth the mana. I'd also prefer to see a shorter diseased based dot. Overall damage does not need to be improved a ton but shorter duration with more DPS would be a boon. Interesting idea Silver.
Caali and Claws
65 Beastlady of Saryrn
Magelo

Kinash

I always use Scorpion Venum. When soloing the first thing I do is send in my Battlekat and then hit the mob with Venum. Then I will flash-freeze it :)
Kinash Kattar
Level 66, Khati Sha Apprentice
Tholuxe Paells (Bertox)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=594639

Tastian

The issue gets talked about a lot.  Most beastlords would be happier with a dot that was more of an upgrade to malaria (some still use at 65), than one that is more shaman disease dot like that has 2(ish) minute duration.  What stinks is the disease dots aren't bad on aggro and are decent ratios if they run their duration, but it just takes too long in many cases.  Meanwhile, the poison dots are huge aggro for the damage they do, some still don't run duration in various cases and they can get ya mauled.  Dots overall need to be looked at and it's not just an omens issue and it's definitely not just a beastlord issue.  I sincerely hope that once omens is released and settles down we'll see a major retune on dots, but I really don't know.

Oneiromancer

Quote from: KinashI always use Scorpion Venum. When soloing the first thing I do is send in my Battlekat and then hit the mob with Venum. Then I will flash-freeze it :)

Silver's not talking about SV, he's talking about Plague.  Which lasts 2 minutes, much longer than most mobs we solo take to kill.

I used Plague last night, while soloing some of the Epic Spirits, since they have so many hp.  But that's about it.  If I want an extra DoT, I use Malaria, it'll actually run its course in a typical fight.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

SilvermaeneRZ

I occassionaly use turepa blood and scropian venom, but typically only when solo.  Honestly I normally just leave up my 2 cold dd's instead though.  Grouped and on raids I dont dot anything just case something might need to be mez'd.  It happens.  DD's are just friendlier imo.  Also even though I really like that poison dots they are TOO much freaking aggro in any kind of group unless I am tanking, and well I can tank but I don't want to.  If I wanted to tank all the time I would have just kept playing my 65 sk.  I do enjoy soloing so that is pretty much all the real tanking I care to do.  In any of the above situations Plague doesnt EVER find its way onto my spell line up.  THE ONLY TIME I EVER USED PLAGUE was against EMP SSRA.  I have never used it any other time.  It last too long.  Yes it is a more mana efficient and a heck of alot easier on the aggro but the dmg is insignificant if it doesnt run the duration.  I just dont have enough spell slots as it is to keep everything I would like to have up.  I have been reading these forums and I am definately going to pick up Mend companion next just to free up one slot from sorsha (which I almost never use as well, but the times I say screw it and drop it then I need it and my pet poofs).  Even with a new spell slot free, It still only leaves room for one dot and thats going to be turepta blood.  I cant effectively cast scorpian venom and turepta blood together without ending up tanking.  Its only one of the other in a group.  

Its really disappointing to see this kind of spell pop up in the line up again.  I really have to wonder if anyone on the developement team plays any of these classes with any real proficiency and if they did why they dont notice these types of teams.  If they did notice these things, then why do they feel its a good idea to continue with this type of trend?

SilvermaeneRZ

wow hmmnn where is the edit button.  team = items.  There are a few other gramatical errors.  I should have proof read, but im lazy.

Ravno

Guess I'm the odd one out, I use Plague whenever I'm doing the Stormriders in BoT.  Admittadly I don't use it for the damage, its more a case of distractiong the big turkeys and watching them to try and dispell it instead of CH'ing themselves....

Its also usefull as a timer for recasting slow on the annoying ones that do manage to get off a 2nd or 3rd CH.
Ravno al`Vera
Tarew Marr

Graace

well, no PH's left on lucy for us to get anything new... looking at what was given... it all really looks dull and subpar really... Really... what they should have done...

1. Leave Trupeta Spirit in... changing it now is too little too late, when we're going to get a new heal at 67 making it obsolete quickly. I know i'm not the only beastlord in an "uberguild" that occassionally groups with people not in the guild, had TS 2 weeks and have found myself using it in groups already. And--to boot... once the level cap is raised, a lot of people are now going to be able to go through the trials, get KT flagged, and get that Jelki rune... so... when we asked for the change, it would have been great, but now... it's absurd.

2. Give Udalla a group version at 70. BINGO we got our group HP buff and group IOS and now everyone's happy.

3. Add the damage modifier to Ferocity similar to Champion for Shamen. Just 5% Would make it something to look forward to rather than making a larger fero rotation... which I see us doing here shortly... learn to say you deleted them.

4. Group Celerity would be nice.

These would at least give us something to look forward to if for nothing other than convenience and practicality and slight variation. Buffing is a huge pain in the event that we do it. I know it's only in beta, but... I doubt things will change much if any...
Graace AndWill 70 Beast Lord
Recruitment Team of Iratus Lepus

Oneiromancer

I still count 4 placeholders on Lucy.  And we also don't know what Shaman spells we might be getting.  You might still be surprised.

Game on,

Deathclaw

Quote from: OneiromancerI still count 4 placeholders on Lucy.  And we also don't know what Shaman spells we might be getting.  You might still be surprised.

Game on,

look on test then - and yes, hmmm 3 level before a new pet, no slow, and minor increase in your 60 - 65 spell with increase mana costs with a focus nerf.... looks like i will not be buying this one, hmm how long till WoW now?

Urim

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spelllist.html?searchtext=Omen-Bst-PH

They just took off classes to them, they still sitting there and for all we know are still getting thought about by the dev team in trying to put in some new unique spells for us. Don't go jumping to conclusions and shouting that the sky is falling until it actually releases.
Maelin Starpyre
[80 Arch Animist] Urim the Library Guardian (Iksar) <Crimson Tempest>

'Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity'

Oneiromancer

Thanks for the backup, Urim. :)

Deathclaw--I agree that the spells on Lucy don't excite me too much.  But I think the leaked AA list has some really nice stuff on it, and I'm hoarding AAs in anticipation.  Hopefully not too much will change before release...since I'm getting OoW for the AAs and not the spells at this time.

Game on,