Main Menu

PLees and AAs

Started by Taiglin, August 30, 2006, 04:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiglin

By and large conventional/accepted wisdom in terms of PLing or even leveling a toon these days is drive to 70 with only brief forays into AAdom to grab "critical" AAs depending on class (ie SCM3 for casters). Working a warrior project though has me questioning that to an extent so I come to pose a question: How much sense does it make to grind out say 36 AAs at lvl 51 (spending 6 in general) and then more at 55 when many lines start to open? The over arching thought is if actual PLing is still viable at this level (mostly through high kill rates) it should translate into quick AAs.

How this looks in action:
I took my 51 war to CoM last night. Used my lvl 70 Druid to heal and DS and was able to get 1.5 AAs in the space of burning lesson. It probably would have been closer or at 2 AAs but these days that zone can really only support 2 people PLing at this level. A good 2/5 of the mobs are also lt blue.

Next steps:
If my goal is 2(+) AAs per lesson and I have at my disposal a 67 mage and/or (67Cleric|70 Dru) what places should I try? Would like to move past CoM since it isn't overly fair to others in the zone and have really outgrown it. Places with high ZEMs are nice, high ZEMS + hotzone is better but probably more crowded. Need enough mobs to support a 30 min burn as well as them being "soft" enough where the xp:time ratio works out well. Also wondering if it just makes sense to group the bugger with either the mage or dru and go ~full bore with their offensive capabilities with the idea that more mobs will die and/or I could move him into higher level zones.

Any thoughts? Am I smoking crack? Wonder if this approach will be more viable under the new AA system. Should note that I log this fella in long enough to burn lesson and then back to my Bst. I also realize there are places/stages in the game where you can currently get more then 2 AAs while using lesson. Those places usually require the toon to be fairly high level though and I don't think of the gap between 51 and 70 as a trivial one to close.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Sanois

right now the best exp that I have seen is in the building where Garudon spawns in Veksar.  put the Warrior in the group with either the mage or the druid and burn the mobs down.  If  you need to get leadership then put all 3 in the group if you can but I suggest that you just park the warrior in a corner and pull to him. and let the high levels do the killing.

Bulge

This quote from Rashere seems encouraging for those that want to earn AA's earlier:

QuoteWhich is the other half of the reason we made the change.

I've never liked that it was far more efficient to level up quickly then go back and do AAs.  By making the rate constant for everyone (and fast at that), its much more feasible to get AAs while you are lower level.

It also opens up the ability for us to do AAs before level 50, something that was flat out impossible in the old system.

Rashere

He explains the new AA system in this thread: http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board.id=Veterans&message.id=274365

I think you will do well getting those AA's early.
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

darury

With the prospect of this, I've begun the slow and tedious process of leveling my berserker I created in April.  As far I know, he's the only level 38 zerker with a Fabled Fungi.  :-D  Techcnically, I think he was around 24 when he got it.  I was bored during fabled mob time and decided to collect as many as I could for him.  He hasn't made a lot of progress since then, but with the new AA changes coming up, I'm going to level him to 51, then start PL'ing AAs until he has to level to use any more.  And yup, I'll get him every single innate stat, first aid, etc.

The Action Figure Army
Darsacat 70 Beastlord -- Darury 70 Cleric --  Nulyen 70 Druid -- Mjah 70 Magician -- Jumlum 70 Bard

Taiglin

Actually I haven't had too much time to do more with him. Waiting on TSS to roll out for the increased AA rate. Till then I have been burning lesson while doing DoN missions. Not as much xp (by far) but since he follows RZ I can knock out individual missions, DoN missions (both for faction), get a few crystals, and as of last night my mage was able to get enough faction for the T2 progression quests. Always a game to see how long he can hold aggro over a 68 mage :)

I tried a few places but nothing could really compare to the xp I was getting in CoM which has more to do with their level, damage, hps, being a hotzone, etc. I didn't make it into the hole yet though so that might be ok.

Hey Darury - make you you /feedback the lack of aug slot on that fabled fungi. Drives me crazy. I really need to suck it up and either farm for GDHs and make a DoN chest piece or camp the fire chicks in Arcstone. Love the regen though; especially when I was leveling my "kids".

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]