Main Menu

3 Boxing (Bl DRU MAG) - How to pull LDON?

Started by Utqnia, August 27, 2004, 01:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utqnia

I am still working on leveling the druid, but the LDON setup will be

Comp 1 = 60BL  56MAG
Comp 2 = 53 DRU

Now, how can I pull LDON's?  I figure I can tank 2 mobs at a time.  But at 53 DRU heal is only like 500hp, so singles are the best case.

I started this thread to help others as well, so any ideas on pulling with this combo is greatly appreciated.

I know of only 3 methods I could "try".

Pet Pulling - Problem with this is you need a green pet.  I am guessing that it would have to be the MAGE pet that greens out, kinda sucks cause MAGE pets are pretty good.

Root Pull - This "could" be used, but could get ugly if say its a 3 spawn, I can root one with druid, other two come, COTH druid, and have BL slow one of the others, would get two... Not sounding like fun in a 3box situation.

Any other possible Ideas?

Barbii

At that level your mage pet is likely to be your primary offtanker, so load up your highest earth pet. Try to keep pulls to 2, and fight both until the earth pet roots one of them, then back up, burn down one, then concentrate on the other. If the druid gets heal agro in this process, it may be able to back up and root park an add as well.

The magic level for druids in 3-box teams is 58 -- do whatever you can to get your druid to that level, and things will become much easier. Getting the beastlord to 62 will also get you a 13-level increase in pet, and will make offtanking even that much easier.

Pulling in LDoN is all about practice, once you do it a few (hundred) times, you'll very rarely get more than 2 on a pull (unless you pull more intentionally  :twisted:  )
Astran, 100 Beastlord of Pain and Glory, Vox server

Dakat

Agro pulling has worked better for me in LDON than cast pulling.

Approaching the mob and letting it agro you then running to the camp to kill. Instead of casting on the mob and then running it to camp.

Araden

It works better for you that way Dakat because assist range is slightly smaller for passive agro than if you actively do something to it.

On a side note,  I agree with the previous poster about getting the druid to 58.  If you do you will go up in average difficulty though because your group level will be 58... if ya drop the mage to 55 though you'd drop back down to difficultly lvl yer at now..

If you have the gear and can handle it.. I'd take it up a notch.. since you can gain 5 lvls on each toon for average for only 1 step difficulty incrase.... slowed 160 hitters just don't hit to hard.... so I personaly would run with a group average of 62.99.   this would allow ya to have 2 65s and a 58... or a combination of that.   without knowing yer gear or what you have access too (and not knowing jack about the mage class)  It's hard to recommend how to do it.. I'd probably run 65 bst 65 druid 58 mage and use druid for CC mage to add dps to whatever the BST killing.   Or possibly BST 64 DRU 64 Mag 60 to be able to get a bit better mage aa's / spells / pets whatever.. i'm not familiar with mages at all heh... it's all up to you.

Hereki

Mage dps jumps a lot at 61, which is their first level 60+ pet; with VT pet focus, it is level 62.

I'd look on the major power levels as being:

mage: 61 for pet
druid: 58 for miniCH
beastlord: 65, for level based power and slow.

Average level 61.3.

Utqnia

Thanks all for the tips.

My first LDON trip will be...

62 BL     (61 now)
56 MAG  (56 now)
54 DRU  (50 now)

This gives me 57.3.  

I have a few days worth of work to do first, but then I will give it a shot.

Any other 3boxing tips for LDON.  Figure first try will start with a c3/V on all of them.  Keep them buffed well and perhaps even some DS potions to stack with the MAG ds. (do they stack?)

I fear my biggest problem will be pulling.

As for gear, the BL is decently geared with Bazaar items (Ornate legs, boots, helm), VIC, 35% haste (no epic yet), 7th shawl.

MAG and DRU will need some work on gear.  I will need to do a full sweep on them both for gear upgrades, I have about 30k or so to play with.

bham

They have recently changed Call of Hero (55 mage spell if I remember correctly). You can now use it to pull your beastlord out without killing your warder, even if the warder is engaged at the time.

It will be too slow to use this for every pull, but it will be useful to split big rooms into smaller chunks. Use it like a monk uses FD.
Bham - Cleric - Mage - Wizard - Tentrix
Bertox

Utqnia

Thought I would come back with my results

Leveled chars to Mage 55, Druid 58 and Beastlord to 62.   My only real goal is to 3box LDON.

Typical spell setup, only outside buff is c3 on everyone.

I have BL and mage on one computer, and druid on the other, keyboards side by side.

First thing I did was standardize similar spells to same slots.

So
1)  Direct Damage
4)  Dot
6)  Pet buff
7)  Pet Heal (Druid small heal)
8)  Heal (Mage Gate)

So all my hotkeys for druid and mage are cast, pause, sit  I set all the hotkeys for them the same as the spell gems, this way when things go badly I still know what spell slot everything is in.

I pull with the Mage 49 Firepet, it is green to the mobs, and if I can keep him alive it is single pulls EVERY time.

So I keep him totally buffed, and it works well.  It may be better to get him a virtue before starting, but trying to get away from outside buffs.

Anyway mage pulls with pet, BL engages and casts slow, mage nukes, druid dots, BL dots and melee's.  Never a aggro problem.

I did 5 of them this weekend, the first 2 I failed, I was trying to pull with a low BL pet.  Just didnt kill fast enough.  However, the last three I did win.

Just thought I would let you all know how I got around pulling.  It is very sweet, even killed a named.

Thinking of trying a hard one next lol.

jabby

Were you able to pull with the low lvl bst pet?

im thinking of doing this combo myself, mage bst druid sounds very powerful, with much dps and utility, but am also worried about pulling

anyone else have thoughts?

I was thinking pulling with bst pet low lvl, using pet heals to keep him alive back to camp, then using suspend minion aa to bring out good pet

danaconda

Jabby, you can't heal your pet while pet-pulling. If you do, you will negate the effect of the low level pet because as soon as the heal hits, you gain aggro and it works from that point on like you did the pulling yourself. If you gonna use a suspended pet, don't even heal the other pet, let it bite the bullet. Just make sure it makes it far enough out of aggro range of the others before it dies.
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

jabby

oo i thought you didnt get aggro from healing pets

Taiglin

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

danaconda

I could be wrong. Never truely pet pulled myself...... well, once but that doesn't count as "real" experience. But I read up on it alot. /shrug Try it out I guess  :)
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

Utqnia

The situation works very well now with mage pet pulling.  He only died about 3 times per LDON.

The worse part is having to heal that mage pet after every pull, but to be honest mana is not an issue.

Mage and Druid are both alts, and in below average gear.

I now have the mage double dotting, and druid single dotting.  BL then Slows, and DOTS.

Mage is now 56 so I get the pet haste mask, a nice addition.

All HP buffs on Fire pet keep him alive now.

My last LDON was quite a challenge, as I came across a named in the room with 2 other mobs.  Pet pulling doesnt work in this instance, you always get the whole room.

But, I got around it nicely.  

Back group down the hall a bit
Mage starts to COTH Druid
When half done, Druid roots Mob01
Root lands druid summoned = clear aggro
Repeat for Mob02
Now druid casts small DD on named
Lets named get a bit closer then COTH fires
BL goes and pulls with slow

It worked really well.  I would not change anything about my group, it works perfectly.

I can usually do 2 LDON with one extended C3, and have killed several named.

The downside is that most of the named are in the end of the LDON, and I cant kill fast enough to get to those.  I normally finish collections with about 20-30 mins to spare, havent tried slaughters or rescues yet.

Thinking of trying a hard LDON see how that goes.

Hereki

Quote from: TaiglinAnyone can heal a pet for 0 argo.

I'll just absolutely confirm - healing a summoned pet does not get you on the hate list at all.

I just summoned a low pet, sent it to a mob, healed it with my druid, and zoned out myself.  Druid was not attacked.