Main Menu

Question on duo setup on one box

Started by Gunzak, April 02, 2006, 05:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunzak

I decided I would try eq again, I know i just quit but I miss it, and am gonna play a druid and beast on the same comp.  How exactly do I play both at the same time?  I have tried eqwin but the game crashes every single time I try and log in.  Have not even tried to get both going yet as first always crashes.  If I am able to get both going do I need to alt tab back and forth to cast spells, move etc?  I have also downloaded wineq2.0 lite and will try that too.  Ill report back if I can get em working.

PS when I log in I cant see the mouse in the server select screen.  Is this normal?  I can tab around but no mouse is there.

Gunzak

I can get eq to work fine by itself but still crashes every time I try and use wineq.  Hmm I may be stuck with a single char till i get a 2nd comp.

grizzly89

I am just running both sessions on one computer without any special software.I just start up one session
and then minimize it and then start another one up. I am then able to alt-tab between them. I am running
windows xp pro and computer stats are: P4 3.2 ( or so,have not looked in awhile),ati 9700pro and 1 gig
of memory. If my memory servers me I was not able to run two sessions until I upgraded to XP pro from
windows 98.

Gunzak

Ok I will try wineq one more time and if that doesnt work I will install eq in 2 different directories and just alt tab back and forth.  What I was hoping to do was have them side by side so I could easily monitor them but guess Ill need 2 comps for that.

Gunzak

Just tested it again.  Crashes every time.  Idea was to have to accounts where I could just move mouse back and forth between and have hot keys for druid alt but cant get it to work.  Alt-tab back and forth will work but will be dangerous as I will have to watch hp real carefully in group.  Oh well should just be till I get a 2nd comp together.

I played for a bit tonight and one thing I noticed about FV was the lack of people.  The bazaar only had 18 people in it though everything that was for sale, almost nothing, was dropable where it would not be on Stromm.

Gunzak

Ok my computer is able to run two instances of EQ without using eqwin.  It does get a bit laggy in places like pok but not too bad.  All I have to do is alt tab back and forth while fighting to go from my beast to druid.  It isnt the most stable though.  Alt tabbing to much results in one instance crashing eventually and once both did.  Also you cant alt tab while one instance is zoning or both crash so you have to sit and wait while one zones fully then alt tab over and zone the second one.  I ended up going to Kurns instead of Paladul Caverns and now my Beast is 13 and my Druid is 10, played beast a bit longer.  Once my beast hits 15 and gets new pet ill go over to PC as the new pet is a monster there.

Only real problem so far is lack of money for spells and gear as I started 2 totally brand new characters on a different server.  Both characters are geared in equipment found inside tutorial and druid has the items from the Claim reward from new expansion pack though its only 2 items, roboboar, pack and shroud.  Real nice stuff with no level requirements is in the bazaar for real cheap, some 20pp or less, so upgrading wont be too hard once I start making ok money on Bandits and Needlites.

Taiglin

Make sure you sell your bone chips from Kurn's in the baz and not to a merchant.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Kenusten

As mentioned, the bone chips from Kurn's is definitely a good seller.  They go for about 5 gp each on Xegony.

Spider silk is still a good plat farm for lower level characters.  Each one sells for 1 to 2 pp in the bazaar.   Selling a couple of stacks is  enough to get your spells.   I think the crag spiders in one of the Karanas were appropriate for around level 29, it has been a bit though.

Gunzak

Well i know how to make plenty of plat at low levels it just a choice of whether I want to level as fast as possible or farm green mobs for cash.  Heres a partial list.

1-10+ Kill worms and Lesser Shades in Shadeweaver's Thicket for Shadeling Silk and Swirling Shadows
1-10+ Kill spiders in Field of Bone for Spider Silk
10-20 Kill Skeletons in Kurns Tower for Bone Chips
20+ Kill hoppers in Marus Seru for Low Quality Hopper Hides
30+ Kill Halfling Guards in Misty Thicket and sell spears for 9pp each to vendors
30+ Kill Erudin Guards at the Erudin Docks and sell swords
30+ Kill Paineel Guards in Paineel and sell swords and shields for 7pp per guard
30+ Kill Crag Spiders in East Karana for Spider Silk (can drop up to 8 per kill)
30+ Kill gorilla looking mobs in Dawn Shroud Peaks for Acrylia Pieces, Bricks and Blocks
45+ Kill Wyverns and Drakes in Cobalt Scar for gems, hides and spells
45+ Kill Felwith Guards in Felwith for 25pp average per kill
45+ Kill spiders in Velks Lab for Velium Pieces, Bricks and Blocks

Gunzak

Ok still scarry switching back and forth fast as I had 2 crashes tonight resulting in 3 deaths, 1 beast and 2 druid.  The game will crash to desktop and pop up a message saying client crashed forcing me to log in again.  Still I ended up with my Beast at 17 and my Druid at 16.

For fun I checked the bazaar tonight and saw Shanai of the Ancients for sale 145,000pp.  Saw some other Time gear as well and all in the same price range.  Saw the Dragorn Skin Necklace with 200hp for 50pp and a cloak with 85hp for 5pp but required level of 53 on cloak and 70 on necklace.  Doesn't really matter though as I only have 12pp and need to buy my new pet pro once my beast hits 18, 4 blue away.  There is some incredible gear for sale on FV for super cheap.  Once I hit the 30s and 40s I'll do some serious farming and buy a bunch of gear.

Gunzak

Well still having problems with crashes.  Every 2-3 hours one client will crash and sometimes both.  When going into task manager and examing memory usage it shows both eating up around 350 megs when it happens.  I went ahead and installed a memory manager program which will run in the background and free up memory and hopefully keep this from occuring anymore.  Not sure if its a problem with XP Pro memory management or just the game freaking out from having both running at once.  If this doesn't solve it Ill go buy another gig of ram and see if that helps.  Best solution would be to get a 2nd computer and run em individually but I dont have the funds atm.

Oh from previous post my Beast is now 25 and my Druid is 23 and I have already made close to 1000pp from farming spider and spiderling silks, LQ pelts which I made into leather padding, bone chips, HQ bear pelts and other tradeskill components.  My gear is still pretty gimp atm and will be for some time but I should be ok to level up to the 30s with what I currently have.  One thing that surprised me is no one buys Shadeling Silk on this server so after farming over 120 I just turned em into thread and farmed hopper hides in Marus Seru and made padding with em.

Utqnia

How much memory does your computer have?

When I 3 box, I run 2 on one computer, and 1 on the other computer.  It is laggy, but works.

Gunzak

P4 3.2 ghz with 1gig ram.  It usually isnt too laggy but it crashes quite often while running eq twice.

Gunzak

Memory optimizer didnt help crashed after playing about 3 hours.  I can play all day long with just one character but if i load in 2 it will always crash within 2-3 hours.  Last time I had to reset my computer as it locked up.  God I need a 2nd machine.

darury

Have you checked the "basics" like video card drivers, DirectX patches, etc?

Another thing to consider might be cooling.  You might try setting up a fan or taking a side panel off your computer.
The Action Figure Army
Darsacat 70 Beastlord -- Darury 70 Cleric --  Nulyen 70 Druid -- Mjah 70 Magician -- Jumlum 70 Bard