Main Menu

A 6 Boxing Question

Started by Siphoning, August 07, 2007, 06:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siphoning

Would this be a end game group for trophy hunting and xp aa grinding:

BL      Tank/Slower
Cleric   Healer
Necro  Dps/Mana regen (MW)/Puller (if needed)
Wizard Dps/porter
Magi    Dps/pet stun/CoTH/pet toys
Bard    Haste/Over haste/Mana regen/Spell dps increase

any and input plz

TabarQuell

IMO - Not with a beastlord for a tank...

Sure i can pull it off, but i have 11k unbuffed hp, nearly 2k AC, all defensive AAs, dodge III and a double digit shielding number.

a similarly geared plate tank (SK/Pally/Warrior) will outshine me anyday. and pallies will be able to do it in 'group only' gear too
Steamslayer Tabar Amastacia
Quellious Server
http://eq.magelo.com/profile/700199

Khauruk

My 6box for those purposes

Warrior, SK, or Pally.  Warrior best choice for sheer tankability.  SK or Pally for easy agro.
cleric
Shammy
Bard
Mage
Wizard

You have:
CoH
Pulling
Great healing
Slows
buffs
haste/overhaste
Ports
good DPS
Snares (admittedly not the best)
Fixed invis later on
Mez if ever needed

Or, if you're just looking to do grinding, and will have good (raid) gear available...

SK
Cleric
wiz x 4
or mage x 4

Edit:  Ding 600 posts
TURNCOAT!!!!!

sicshift

yeah id do a diff tank and prob would like a shaman in there somewhere....

Siphoning

This what i have atm

Warrior
Cleric
Shammy
Druid
Enchanter
Necro

I realy like my War,cleric,necro tro what would be good addtions to my fav tro

What about this

War
Cleric
Shamy
Wizzy
Magi
Necro cause i love my Necro

Khauruk

Enchanter - when 6boxing, crowd control is almost impossible to do effectively.
Druid - Can do several things alright, none great (when boxed).  I'd avoid druids for anything more than 3 boxes.

You also in that group have 2 slowers, 2 crappy nukers.  What's the point?

Necro - take a lot to time to start stacking DoTs, and play effectively.  Not a great puller due to both timed FD spells, and lack of mitigation.  Not a primo class to box.  Now, if you're unconcerned about the necro not bringing much to the group (like if you're raid w/ it as your main or similar), go for it.

For larger box combos, pure, simple classes work best.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Bulge

Quote from: Khauruk on August 07, 2007, 08:29:31 PM

For larger box combos, pure, simple classes work best.

I have been wanting to find that out now for a long time but I have *such* a hard time choosing my new 6-box combo. Or rather, I have such a hard time leaving my old classes out of the combo, which were: BL (Main), Druid, Cleric, Necro, Mage and Enc. Mind you, this is a very old combo that I never got beyond level 65/66 but I had a blast playing them. The thing is, I keep asking myself two questions:

Where do I wanna end up with my 6-box combo: bleeding edge for single groups? Up till the last expansions with 1000+ AA? Or just for fun for a level of 50 or so?

And also: is it really fun to play with a Tank, a Healer, a slower/buffer and 3 Wizards? One of the things I like about playing several toons is the fact that every time one of them Dings, I get new, Class-specific stuff to play with. Also, equipping them is more fun, since each Class needs its own trinkets, focusses and armor. Since I am not much of an XP-grinder or leveler, this sort of thing is really an important part of the gameplay for me. Also, I am a sucker for Utility: I have the hardest time to deny myself even the silliest of Utilities. For instance, I MUST have Tracking. I MUST have Group teleports. I MUST have the ability to rez my Group.  I Must have Glimpse.....well ok, not Glimpse but you get the idea. Leveling a Chanter, Druid and Mage is so much more fun then leveling 3 Wizards........

Hard to choose. :)
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Khauruk

Aye...it's all what you want, not necessarily min/maxing.

I've a friend who keeps talking about coming back to the game and 6boxing.  His pre requisite - all classes must have pets, and must use them.  Sounds like a nightmare to me.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

hakaaba

what are you talking about? since the push change, a full group of pets probably doesnt even push as much as just 1 used to.  And thats assuming theyre all facing the same direction

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

Khauruk

Well, his shaman and SK would never get pet hold or pet focus.  His cleric would need to cast pet hammer every single mob.  Mage and Beastlord...just more to do each mob.  And I don't recall what his last toon was going to be....most likely necro.  Not a 6box friendly class in general, imo.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

dainfrol

One addition to a large box set you could consider is a Ranger.  /autofire and then cast GotE/Predator when needed.
WildbloodXikahtizuDragonblood - 75 - Beastlord - Luclin (Veeshan)

Bulge

My combo had a lot of pets: Mage, BL and Necro and I was planning on throwing in the Chanter pet at some point too(with the appropriate AA's) and they were indeed a hassle to control. Still, they are one of the fun things imo of playing several classes. I had learned to control the pet push, though I must admit it could be horrible at times: no fun seeing your mobs being pushed into the Lavarivers in Lavaspinners Lair. :) But one thing I really liked about pets were their sustained damage. Then again, at some point when my Druid, Mage and Necro got a few Nuke AA's, I usually killed the mob with nukes before the pets could do any real damage. I had not perfected  my playstyle yet to the point where I could have the pets off tank mobs, so to be honest the pets were becoming more of a liability then a help. Now with pet-pulling nerfed they even seem less attractive.  Having to summon and hand out pet toys every time I logged in was not the most fun either though I did consider this part of the RPG fun. However, if three Wizards are becoming so much better in the DPS area, and with so much less hassle, then it is hard to keep choosing pet-classes over a Wizard.

Maybe just keep one Mage in there for Off tanking?

Tank (I am thinking SK because they seem a lot more fun then pallies)
Druid (sorry, can't do without Tracking, it the tool that actually makes doing a zone or dungeon fun for me.)
Shaman? (Bleh, I always considered this a boring class). DO I really need a Slower these days anyways?
Wizard
Wizard
Mage?

I know, I know, where is the Cleric. I must admit, my Cleric owned my Druid with his HOT's and all. I think I would rather let go of the Shaman then the Druid, but that would leave me without a Buffer and Slower.

Sigh, too hard.
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Khauruk

SK
Cleric
Wizard
Wizard
Wizard
Druid

Mobs will die so fast that you won't need slow.  Use the druid as outdoor help for puller.  /shrug...great in many circumstances.  Or swap in a mage for coh.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Bulge

Mmmm, I like it. I'd love to get rid of the Shaman. I think the only thing missing would be some sort of Haste and Slow. I do think I will trade in one wizard for a Mage, they can do some nasty damage with their fireball too especially since I am used to Fire debuffing with my Druid anyway. The Mage would also bring it's own debuffs, COH and an off tank. I like it. I never considerd this combo because I did not dare leave out the Slower.  Also, at first I had a hard time leaving out my Enc because I love to be self sufficient when it came to Clarity buffs. But with the latest regen changes and the fact that I still get some regen with the Druid, I think the use of the Enc has fallen off even more. Haste was nice though. Oh well, this is a Nukers combo anyway, not a meleeing combo, who needs Haste! I also like how I would only have to fire off a Fire debuff before a fight and not have to slow also.

Thanks. So I can really do without Slow? :D Would you advice a Paladin over an SK, so I can stun a bit, in order to lower the damage I am taking? Paladins seem so boring though, no real pulling toys, and too much overlap with the Cleric.

Khauruk

Haste - potions.
Slow - "negated" by burning everything to the ground as fast as possible.  Try to get your AC as high as possible is all I'd say.  Also druid atk debuffs on named mobs to help w/ healing some.  Work SK's AAs early, esp. defensives.  Put all your pp pretty much into the SK's gear (excepting foci, but mage could summon some of those too).

Works for some.
TURNCOAT!!!!!