Main Menu

Best combo for a 3-box?

Started by danaconda, January 29, 2004, 03:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danaconda

Hello all, this is my first post here. Anyways, I have 3 accounts and want to start out on a new server, as my own group.

I want a group that I can do LDoN missions with. I only have 2 comps, so EQW will force me to use 2 accts on one comp.

Please, I know this is a beastlord forum, so there of course will be biasism (I like that word, add it to your dictionaries please  :D ). Possible group make-ups: Cleric, SK, and maybe Beast/Rogue ... Cler, pally, ranger ... Druid, pally, rogue/beast .... lots of combos, looking for some opinions please  :)

Thanks in advance to any replies!
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

Mindlet

I find it hard to box along a second melee. If I do one doesn't contribute much do to having to move alot to stay in range. Therefore 1 melee and 2 casters would be my choice.

You will need a tank.

SKs make great tanks so that would be my choice.

You will need a healer.
Clerics bring very little buffs and heals. I wouldn't use one.
Druids bring more. The have snares and damage shield and ports. A good choice.
Shaman have slows and hastes as well as some nice buffs. Best choice I think.

Finally you want dps.
A pet class is probably best.
Beastlord probably not the best as they rely too much on melee themselves.
Necro great dots and a good pet.
Mage best pet and great nukes.

If I was making a 3 box group from the ground up would make
SK, Shaman, Mage.

DiosT

SK/Cleric/Beastlord

SK tanks/snares

Cleric Heals

beastlord does damage/slows

you get damn near everything you need in a group, just pick up KEI and you're golden!

Druid could work in substitute of a cleric, but I personally like CH because it's less time spent on the cleric tossing heals...

buy a horse for cleric & beastlord, SK shouldnt need one, pull with SK, snare, do the beastlord thing, heal as needed, then have the SK run off again -- Keep mana usage on sk only to what you must to keep agro and snare mobs, will let you chain-pull non-stop...

Just my opinion..

danaconda

SK, shaman, mage isn't bad...... however, I have no CC for LDoN. Hence why cleric/pally was in most combos i mentioned due to lull/pacify line of spells.

Very good point on 2 melee's though..... must change my thinking to add a caster in there, maybe necro.

Maybe modify this group.....

Necro, shaman, pally

Necro on snare duty, shammie on slows/heals, pally on paci-pulling/rezzes.

Thanks for your help, gonna wait a while and mull this over a bit before i start.

*EDIT: didnt notice your reply DiosT.......i like that combo alot too
Dedlee Beatdown retired

Tastian

I really enjoy bst+clr+necro.  high dps, solid healing, snare, paci & fd pulls.  Pet class easy to bot.  Rez too hehe almost forgot.  Can grind exp like mad or do some very big game.  

If I were to start over from scratch I'd probably go bst/dru/enc.  That'd give tank, snare, healing, ports, VERY high mana regen later on.  Lots of stuff for fun early in the game.  Ok dps, but with DC later on and normal charm if you are an animal you can go crazy.  You lose rez, could go nec  for enc and gain solid dps, but give up a bit of CC (nec's do rather well until 55+ and do ok with undead even at 65).  Also you gain mez over the clr/bst/nec trio.  There are a LOT of possibilities and there isn't a clear "best" that I've been able to come up with.  It all depends on what you want and how you want to do it.  Once you actually have your trio/duo/etc you'll find yourself noticing things that work well for it and your short comings.  You want something really fun run bst/bst/bst 8)  bst/nec/mag, etc.

Mortan

If your set on playing a BL, I'd go BL+Cleric+Mage. Mage and cleric easy to bot, best heals and HP buffs, Most mana efficent, lotta damage, slows, roots, multiple stunning pets, pacify, elemental mezes if your doing Takish, best DS'es...bout the only thing your missing out of this combo is snare, wich is very easly mitigated with 2 chain stunning pets.

If class dosen't matter, then I'd go Pally+Shaman+Necro, just the thought of  the potental with that combo is scarry.

Beakerr

If I add a 3rd box to my combo now I'd most likley just move my chanter to a new account making my team Beastlord / Druid / Enchanter.  Damage / Healing / Buffage / Crowd Control / blah..  Not sure that I'll be dishing out the coin anytime soon but I have some catching up to do with the lowbies before I can group with the chanter anyhoo.
Beakerr - Beastlord and Rowlf - Bot
             or
Cefu - Short and Grumpy

Wokka Wokka
Maelin Starpyre

Bulge

All thes great threesomes, each with their own added values: this is exactly why I added box upon box, to get it all!

Beastlord as tank;
then the druid as complementary char for most of the rest;
then the NEcro for added DPS, since the druid did not really bring that (or not as easy)
then the Mage because now I was going pet-crazy and looking forward to three pets and their toys;
and then the Cleric, because I also decided to go LDoN and wanted a REz so I could try bolder things.....

Not the BEST group, but one that grew in time, with the Beastlord being the focus point. A real tank would  have been better but I don't like a real tank as my main, so...

Ok, sorry for the ego-spam, let me just finish with adding that DiosT's combo seems very round and powerfull.

Cheers!
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Incite

I've started running a necro on my 3rd box ... works well.  Mobs fall over fast with Funeral Pyre.  You can crank out ~480 damage per tick in dots alone at level 61 with relatively little input.  Adding the pet is even better.  

On my 2nd box I run a clerc.  Well ... she runs herself.   :?
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=993776">http://www.border.plus.com/images/Incite1.jpg">

No bounce, no play.

Kohda

Rangers make good bots once they have EQ/AM3 and an elemental bow.  Just get a gamepad with autofire and turn them loose.
Kohda <Nosotros>
Veeshan

Dakat

There are so many good combos out there now that its really hard to decide which makes up the best combo.

Tank:  

Beast is a good choise.  They can buff decently. Tank well w/ pet and slow a little when they first get going.  Not really needing a high slow until you get higher in levels. So a Beastlord can be your tank without any problems.  

Healer:

Cleric by far is mostly suited for this.  Even at lower levels, having many versions of reses will save you time.  Having decent hp buffs like Symbol, Armor, and Bravory.  Healing potential definately.

Assist:

Many a person could go here.  You would probably want someone versitile and can pick up the slack where the other 2 slots lack.  You probably want as much DPS as you can get without worrying too much on the character in the back.  Mobility is important too.  Getting to where you need to go and getting out of places you should not be.  I'd say a wizard would provide the DPS that you need and allow you to be very flexible.  A Necro or a Mage would be my next choise.  Since their spells do offer a great amount of damage output, so does their pet.  So you would have 5 people in your group instead of 3. As a beast pet and either mage or necro pet is also added damage.  Out of those 2, it would be a toss up, since each offer such a variety of extras.  I'd lean more towards a necro I think since they can do crowd control, mana regen, and heal in a pinch.   A Bard would be my next choise.  Having mana regen, health regen, and fastest runner in the game, you really don't miss much with a porter in the mix. They wouldn't have to melee like the Beast. Have them keep a regen of some sort going constantly while the beast takes care of the mob.  Get in trouble let the bard control the area leaving the beast on auto.

danaconda

I understand that there is no "best" 3-box group, really. I was really just looking for options and some good & bad about each. That is exactly what I got from all of you.

Thank you all very much, and I think I will be going with the group DiosT suggested, since it is exactly what I was looking for.

Races will be Ogre (SK), Troll (beast), and Dark Elf (cleric). I plan on starting them on the FV server, that way I am not able to twink them in the least. Hopefully I can resist the urge to go to Paludal....... :wink:

I got the beast already made and am using Shadeweaver's Thicket as my newbie hunting grounds so I can hopefully make some profit off the silks that drop (got 8 so far, hope there's a market for them).

I made all the chars evil so I can hunt the sister island for some easy profit!
Dedlee Beatdown retired

Kashmiir Battlekat

Quote from: KohdaRangers make good bots once they have EQ/AM3 and an elemental bow.  Just get a gamepad with autofire and turn them loose.

Note my Sig :)

craftyrat

I 3-box a beastlord (57th), cleric (57th) and magician (56th) in LDON with a fair degree of success.  I was using an enchanter (52nd) instead of the magician, but I just didn't have enough dps with that combo.

craftyrat
Zarsharn Beastlord 57th, Saryn

Qwawn

I have a great time with my BST + Cler + Ench all lvl 65.  My Bst tanks and DPS.  Chanter is buffs, CC and DPS (pet aa) and cleric is heals/buffs/DPS.

Good group, I go all over with them.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=808107">
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/djtx2/Q2.gif" width="501" height="132">