Main Menu

Best combo for a 3-box?

Started by danaconda, January 29, 2004, 03:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incite

Quote from: Katonis
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1254

The snare will not last to long but with a mage and beastlord pet stunning it outta do the trick well enough.

Kat

The cleric has that; as noted, I find it of limited utility due to the long cast time combined with the short duration.   :?
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=993776">http://www.border.plus.com/images/Incite1.jpg">

No bounce, no play.

Tastian

I've used snare on my DE cleric for a very long time.  I had not work one time in sol B at level 56 or so, had 4 resists on an imp that ran and then got LoS issues.  I've main snared countless LDoNs, dungeon crawls, etc without issue.  It's not like ensnare where you can just cast it at the start of fight and forget it, but you get a feel for it and it's amazing imo.

Also I mentioned this in another thread, but Bst/Clr/Wiz is gaining a lot of attention from me as a three box.

Lots that opt for dru/bst over clr/bst cite the ports and snare.  Wizard brings both ports and snare in this case.  Also the wizard brings eye of zomm for paci targeting in various places.  Very easy to box and stuns/heavy dd on call for casters/etc.  Then the main thing you are missing from druid is 9 later on.

Incite

Quote from: TastianI've used snare on my DE cleric for a very long time.  I had not work one time in sol B at level 56 or so, had 4 resists on an imp that ran and then got LoS issues.  I've main snared countless LDoNs, dungeon crawls, etc without issue.  It's not like ensnare where you can just cast it at the start of fight and forget it, but you get a feel for it and it's amazing imo.

Yah, I'm "fire and forget" though.  I have to contend with the fact that I don't just run 3 boxes I also have to juggle the cleric's personality.   :?

I am pretty confident that beastie/mage/cleric would work well with minimal runners at high level ... but at the moment I'm continuing with my necro as my cleric now owns a set of Elder Holgresh Beads.  Wizzie offers everything that I want, but I simply don't like wizzies; mages have teh cool  8), wizzies don't  :cry:.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=993776">http://www.border.plus.com/images/Incite1.jpg">

No bounce, no play.

bham

I 3-box beast, cleric, mage.

It works great for me.

I have done about 100 normal 65 ldon with this combo. Plus another hundred with friends added to the mix.

I kill BoT mini-named and Barindu trash with this group.

I have crap gear, but lots of AA.

A porter and a regular snarer would be nice. I currently use a combo of stun/well timed nukes, or hobble of spirit to stop runners.

You could try switching out the mage for a wizard or the cleric for a druid to achieve this. But I would not given the chance with hind sight.
Bham - Cleric - Mage - Wizard - Tentrix
Bertox

danaconda

I would personally switch out the mage with a necro. Similar strength pets (not that it matters with beast tanking and cleric healing), feign death pulling, sick DPS from DoTs, ghetto mez, snare, and necro's have crazy mana regen ... alot more versatility with a necro.

I had originally switched to FV server for my 3-boxing combo of SK, cleric, beast but then decided I hated starting over, so I moved back to my home server with my 54 necro and 36 cleric. Still in the process of PLing the beast (currently 23).
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

Hereki

Mage pets are significantly more powerful than beastlord pets, which in turn beat necro pets.  Minor detail :).

As somebody mentioned, mage and beastlord pets both stunning can almost match a snare, and mage pet toys boost the warder as well.

Solo, a mage is no match for a necro in any way.  Neither is a beastlord.  But a mage can be played close to maximum effectiveness as a bot; a necro needs more active participation.  Both can be useful; but I suspect that a necro partner is going to be the more powerful.

Ssolrak

I 2-box ranger and cleric (recently added a BST for 3rd ;) ) and my flatemate would add his chanter into the mix.....having done a LOT using the rng/clr/enc combo I can honestly say that if there is a stronger 3-way group , it isn't much stronger :)

We brezzed through LDoNs as long as we found a charmable pet, but still never failed one even if we never got a pet, it just got close a few time.

Done a lot of XPing in place like BoT/HoH/Tactics/Sewers as well with that combo....

Shambler

If it hasn't been said yet, to play a shaman efficently takes a LOT of your attention. EX> cani dance, debuffing, buffing

If i remember right, while I was playing my shaman by himself, there was maybe 2 minutes in an hour that I was not casting a spell in a chain pull type group. That 2 minutes being letting the dog outside or getting a snack :)

I also heard some classes like necros can be high maintnance as well.

Doing CC w/ your enchanter while trying to heal with your priest and tank with your tank all at once may be tricky as well... but thats why we box yes?

IMO the more pets the better heh :)

If I add a 3rd account.. I think I would do something like this
Priest Act:***"Tank" Act:***Int act:
Shm*******Beast****** Enchanter
Dru*******Warrior*****Mage
Cler*******Monk*******Wizard (due to ease of boixing)

would be prety flexible.. not sure if I would want a wizard and a mage tho.. heh.. well maybe just nukeing would be easier sometimes than managing the pet.
Sham & Beast already 65.. and the druid is 57ish
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=959430> Raarthik 65 Beastlord, Luclin server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=606160>
Shambler 65 Shaman, Luclin server

Dhantes

SK/Cleric/BST is what i use and honestly love it. Paladin/druid/chanter or something might work better with charm for dps but i like to melee and i like to tank.

SK = decent dps, snare, can pet pull or feign pull, decent tank (3rd best tank on stunnable mobs 2nd on unstunabble) lifetaps are easier to cast when boxing then heals, good mana regen for group via zbite...

BST = good dps, good slow, good buffs, great mana regen via paragon + SD, not soo bad offtank, + pet dps is easy to manage...

Cleric = crappy dps, great buffs, raid role, best heals, most versitale healer, pacify.

Basically pull with sk snare/fear on inc when mob is inrange of group slow with bst sic pet with bst, then move behind the mob while sk tanks. Cleric just casts Supernal Elixer every 36 secs and Bulwark of Vie when drops and if high dps mob drops an Supernal Light every bit.

Only thing i dont like about this combo is im gimp and need the stats from both IoS and STA buff on bst so im running out of buff slots on the sk. I can do LDON normals without c3 and camps like HOH or pov chain pulling do about 10mobs before repops.

jabby

just came back to eq from a break, making another 3-box team.

My old teams were

1) Wizard, BEastie, Cleric - worked well, self sufficent, but lowish dps depending on wiz manna and aa's, and no debuff for slows snares.

2) Chanter Warrior Druid - worked well, but chanter took 75% of all attention, and low dps.

now im thinking hard about

Necro, Pally, Shaman

- seems strength of this trio is thier synergy. Necro and shammy both can do excellent sustained damage through dot stacking, pets, small nukes, but both necro and shammy use HP to make manna (and therefore DPS), so both need healing. Also both have high aggro to thier dots and debuffs, so need a high aggro tank.

The Paladin, although having poor DPS,  provides both healing to the group and high aggro through stuns. Not to mention cleric type HP buffs, which provide necro and shammy better use of thier HP to generate DPS.

Also, if pally or necro dies on pull, the other one can rez up and continue on. You also get unresistable debuffs, the best slow, snare, FD-rez, 1 good pet, unresistable nukes and dots, 2 healing classes, 2 rezzing classes, shammy+cleric HP buffs up at all times, corpse summon+rez...

think the only question here is can they kill fast enough? Dots are nice but take time to work. Of course with pally stuns nec and sham could stack dots up real high.

danaconda

Damn, that sounds like a pretty wicked combo. Didn't even consider that one for some reason. Pally should be able to hold aggro well enough, he has paci for pulling (heard that goes away at 55+ but whatever).

I've been thinking of PLing a few new toons for some trio-ing again. I get bored easily  :wink: . I was hoping for the new /melody command to go through for bards so I could add one to the mix, but it doesn't seem like that command is anywhere near finished. This combo sounds fun.
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

vlad

I'm playing BL/Necro/Cleric and wouldn't have it any other way, that combo has insane DPS and utility.

Since my BL has tons of AA he is a decent tank and that is the only aspect of that group that might be lacking a little, everything else is covered :)

jabby

yeah, melody would be nice, i have a bard and was thinking bard, cleric mage or bard beastie cleric..

but bards take so much attention i dont know.

Was also thinking Rogue, SK, Shammy - dont have to worry about manna issues for dps, but playing 2 melee has some issues, good and bad. Need good equip for dps, cant really spike dps too much, wouldnt have any rez, would need to get cleric HP buffs every 2-3 hours...

but i love rogues so will try to get them up into 50's.

Also working on getting the pally shammy necro into 50's too just to see how it goes. If they can kill fast enough they will rock i bet. Also, after pally paci stops working in the 50's you can use necro FD to pull, or shamdog to pet pull without losing much dps.

I really want a 3-man team that can *win* lvl 65 LDoN hards, but can also go deep into places where i really have never been and kill hard ass mobs. So need nice DPS+surviveability/tankage i think.

Ive read that SK, SHammy, Mage can win LDoN hards consistently. Thats a good team too. But im gonna try necro pally shammy first

negrismorte

My trio has to be 2 casters.  I don't know how you guys can manage more than one melee - especially a rog.  Posistioning is just too hard.

Personally, beast/cleric/sham(or wiz) has worked because I can macro the casters.

gumlaak

Just wanted to comment on shammy being hard to bot.  I don't think I was playing him to maximum efficiency when I botted one, but I got a lot of "You are n awesome shammy" tells after groups, and floored people when I told them "thanks... I was the monk pulling to."

I only played that combo to about 53 and that was old school.  I retired them pretty much completely when PoP came out, but I would say shammy makes the BEST 2 box player available... you can add almost any other pet/tank/dps class to them and be gtg.  I know some of teh newest exps have a lot of slow mitigating mobs which hurts them, but I can't say enough about shammies.  Id still have one if I didn't feel like a cleric was required for some of the stuff i hope to get into with my current trio.

I didn't even use many macros outside of "assist main" and then pet macros.  I pulled my canni spell off the spell bar and put it in slot 8 with sit in 7... as my monk was fighting and I was bashing the "4" key on him, id watch the mana bar for a tick and jam 7,8, then as soon as the blue wince message popped id give him another 7 then start watching the bar again... since it doesn't matter when you canni dance, I found it not to be an issue, and if you are ever NEEDING that one last cast you don't dance anyway just jam the spell.... of course now mounts have alleviated much of that but I just wanted to answer the canni dance speculation... Shammies are awesome to bot, especiallywith a good pulling class... root parking would have been tough for me, although id do it occassionally by just rooting one off the monk and then backing him up....