Main Menu

Using shrouds to PL boxed alts?

Started by Taiglin, October 03, 2005, 01:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiglin

Am starting a mage alt on the account that I normally have my druid. With these support types of classes I wonder if past their teens it would be worthwhile to shroud down my beastlord to the highest level the new toon could group with but get xp and mow threw mobs. I have access to a cleric on a third account that would heal the beastlord from outside the group. Any thoughts on this? I haven't PLed an alt in years and will need to go through old posts on zone paths (unless someone has that handy).

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

hakaaba

Nowadays its mostly tutorial > paludal > whatever zones are double xp at the time (atm echo, scarlet, among others)

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

Et^Cetera

As we all know,  a mob will always beat on a player over a pet. This still works whether the people are gouped or not.

So, let your BST (ungrouped)  just stand there with pet on /hold (or no pet at all) and Attack OFF and tank the mob, while the Magicians pet does most of the damage, meaning the Magician gets all of the exp as long as you do a 1point nuke.

Unless you burn it down too quickly, you should have no aggro problems at all becuase of the player/pet rule.

The tank doesnt have to be a BST, any class will do where the mobs con green to him. It worked for my Magcian in the late 30s. Pet is good enough to do a decent amount of damage to get through mobs, but too weak to tank them.
Cailus EtCetera with her trusty side kick Elllerton
Always lost, somewhere on AB.

Kanan

frankly, old PL scheme my brother had back in the day:

Have mage along to DS your tank.  IMO, shammy tank works really well bcs can self heal nicely.  Your PL'd players walk up, hit the mob once.  Tank corner tanks to make sure to get spells cast.  DS kills them.  Lotta kills with the PL'd toon getting sole credit.

If you were using your bst for the PLing, you'd need to have items in your hands so that you can't riposte, else your single riposte that you would get would take credit for the kill.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Sorien

Not if ya turn yer BST around so the MOB is hitting him on the back. :)

Since it's your mage and he can AOE.  You can take yer BST to an appropriate level zone and low lvl slow a mob, low lvl cripple, & low lvl slow again.  Rinse repeat until you have about 5 - 10 MOB'S on your BST.  Bring the MOB'S to your place of choice and use your Mages AOE'S to kill all mobs off. 

This works very well, and you don't get much aggro from too many of the MOB'S that an extra low lvl slow will take care of.

I did this in Dalnir at the castle before you drop down to the second lvl with my LVL 30 Cleric & was LVL 35 in no time. :)  Pretty fun too.

Kanan

doing the incap would be better for your agro & the purpose of the PLing imo.  Slow = less times they hit you for the DS to hurt them.

And even tho you may not want it to, there's the chance of a riposte the second u get the mob agro'd onto you or are turning around after agroing another with a nice sized train.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

jaskorak

Quote from: Kanan on October 04, 2005, 02:03:53 PM
doing the incap would be better for your agro & the purpose of the PLing imo.  Slow = less times they hit you for the DS to hurt them.

Exactly the way I leveled up my toons pull with incap to draw good agro with no dmg get as many mobs on the tank as possible then bring them back to your camp. If the toon you are pling has an AE nuke this will make it faster if not just get one hit on each mob before DS kills them. I used mostly --Kurns,PC,Dalnir,mines of nurga and once they can grp with bst I took  them to pov. The thing is if you get  a bunch of mobs hitting your bst even if they are runners, they will not run the DS will kill them until there is only one or two left and then those last couple will run.

Taiglin

At some level and assuming the MMs weren't overly tweaked yesterday when it comes to xp you might as well do some MMs with both toons. The way I looked at it is where else can you spend 30min - 1hr and get decent xp for both toons at once. The lower toon will level slower but depending on which levels you are talking it isn't overly bad. If you can throw in a regular xp session using Lesson all the better.

Doing MMs off and on with a Mage alt here is what I found IIRC
30-40s    = Roughly 3 or 4 MMs per level depending on where the xp bar is when you flip levels
50-52+/- = Think about 4 blues per
54-59      = Slightly more then 2 blues per
60           = 2 or 3 for this level
61-63      = Back up to around 4 blues per (that is his current level)

Because the xp given is based on individual toon level it doesn't make sense to take the toons in the MMs too early assuming you have access to something more traditional like a Druid or other healer to PL.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]