Main Menu

quick question

Started by Gariyn, August 05, 2005, 09:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gariyn

Hi all,

Just a quick one. just wondering what raids your guild tries to ban pets.

Talking from Time and the start of GOD up.

Thanks,

Predator Gariyn - 75 - Beastlord - Quellious

Nusa

Anything we do as a range-fight is pretty much no-pet. Chailik for example.

We don't use pets in phase 1 or 2 of Time. Probably no reason for it anymore, now that time is truly instanced, but pets and mounts seemed to make the initial zone-in issues worse in the past. We still stagger the start of each phase 1 trial slightly too...another habit that's likely not necessary anymore. For the rest of Time, pets get used.

In the Ikkinz raids, there are a couple individual encounters where push and balance is critical to avoid hitting the tether or getting an add that we do no-pets. But mostly they get used. For Uqua, we use pets. After Uqua, can't say...not there yet.

Of course if you have anyone who doesn't have or doesn't use /pet hold religiously, that's a problem you need to address.

Zebrn Beasword

We use pets from PoTime - Anguish.  Only once I think I've been asked not to use it (Carpin CoD) :)
Zebrn <Undivided Faith> - Drinal

Iskandar

Same here -- Carpin is the only raid where they've been specifically banned. There are other encounters where I personally choose not to use a pet simply because of the effort involved in keeping them alive (mobs that make heavy use of ae ramp, high-damage ae dots, or very high damage directional attacks -- the fights may not necessarily be a super challenge for the players, but for the pets they're kinda nasty and wind up pulling my attention from the fight too often). And, like Nusa said, /pet hold is essential -- every guild I know of on CT requires it for all pet classes if they want to ever summon a pet on a raid. :-)
Wildcaller Iskandar Darkpaw --  80 Beastlord, Cohort Chalybeius, Cazic Thule

"Didn't ya hear? That which doesn't kill you makes ya stronger. So suck it up, OK?" ~C.C.
"That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger. That which does kill me I will hunt down after I respawn." ~D.H.

Dummkopf

Same as the others, with the exception of Carprin pets are allowed as long as you can control them (which includes positioning and push of course). That means you have to have /pet hold, having /pet focus is even better. On pure ranged fights its most of the time better to not use your pet because the reason for fighting ranged might kill it way too fast, but thats only very few fights.

The thing about pets making it difficult to zone into tier1 or 2 in potime was a myth even back when only a handful of guilds were in time serverwide. It was just poor programmed but pets and mounts didnt prevent players from zoning in.

Dreead

I am apping to a CoA/Tacvi farming guild. And I still have yet to have been told not to use a pet.

When in Tacvi I always suspend my pet while clearing the trash mastrug mobs, cause the AE ramp kills him in basically one shot. But while killing the loot mobs, i always use my pet.

Some pet classes choose not to use them, just because they don't want to go through the trouble of controlling them, but for me, it's part of my class so i use it.

Oiingo

Quote from: Nusa on August 05, 2005, 12:11:34 PM

People range fight Chailik?  When did this start happening?
Predator Oiingo Boiingo (80 beasty) of <Triality> on Maelin Starpyre

KirishuRN

Actully there is one fight in Tacvi that you do not want to have a pet up. That is the one were at 20% you get all them little spawns that have only like 1hp, and that blow up for like 5k or something. We usally just suspend our pets and not chance a wipe for someone forgetting to /hold it.
Kirishu's Magelo of <Echoes In Eternity> on Rodcet Nife Server

Some people are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your Face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Dummkopf

I know that fight, but i have absolutely no problem there, /pet focus takes care of that and your pet wont ever attack them, just be sure it doesnt have a damageshield on though.

Dreead

Quote from: KirishuRN on August 05, 2005, 06:51:12 PM
Actully there is one fight in Tacvi that you do not want to have a pet up. That is the one were at 20% you get all them little spawns that have only like 1hp, and that blow up for like 5k or something. We usally just suspend our pets and not chance a wipe for someone forgetting to /hold it.
When the golems for that fight spawn, I always just pet hold. I think they have around 100 hp or so. I got hit once or twice by them, and they didn;t explode. I have like 6? not sure worn DS.

Khayden

Worn DS is 0 unless you have a DS buff cast on you, then it adds to that.

As for banning pets, the only fight from Grummus through to Inktu`ta where we are now that we've banned pets on is Avhi in the Carprin cycle due to the adds on death facotr (and even then I ignored them and just made sure he lived).

Khayden
Khayden
75 Barbarian Wildcaller of Mithaniel Marr
Bertoxxulous

Khayden

Er Avhi might be High Priest Ulthor, I can't remember, anyway it's the one that spawns adds on deaths whichever that is.

Khayden
Khayden
75 Barbarian Wildcaller of Mithaniel Marr
Bertoxxulous

Nusa

Quote from: rizz on August 05, 2005, 05:25:27 PM
Quote from: Nusa on August 05, 2005, 12:11:34 PM

People range fight Chailik?  When did this start happening?

Just the way we like to do it...usually with zero deaths now that we have it down, although we do lose the occasional puller or slower. Tank holds aggro and announces the AE's. Primary healers keep tank up from around the corner. Secondary healers (shamans/pallys/beastlords) keep up rangers(who focus on dps rather than dodging...every ranger gets feroed too). All the other nukers dodge in and do dps between AE's. The other  melee are usually bored on this one, unless someone brings us an add.

Dummkopf

Well, its been 8 months since i did that fight last time, but we just stayed in melee range and clerics used group ch's. Was a very easy fight that way .

Strigori

There are 2, and only 2, fights that pets got banned on.  Carpin, and Shei Vinitras.  They have 'death spawn' mobs that pets can trigger(someone in my guild has apic from way back when an absent minded shaman sent his doggie swarm in right before it enraged. Talk about skells).   Yeah, there are fights that they are woefully ineffective, but if the pet class wants to kamikazi the pet, so be it. 

Chal as a ranged fight, that must take an eternity.  Granted the slow does cripple the overall melee dps, but still.  And other than acouple people who still manage to eat rage, I dont really ever remember a whole lot of deaths there.    On ranged fights we made use of pets for possitioning as they were expendable.
Wildcaller Strigori
  70 Wildblood
  Officer of
  Fellowship of Dragons
  Ayonae Ro