Main Menu

1hb, h2h, piercing, etc.

Started by wildwaters, January 29, 2009, 08:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildwaters

Ok I am going to do some research and parsing once I get my parser running correctly but what I wanted to know is...

Do beasts do better with a particular type of weapon? I have noticed that I do not seem to parse as well with piercers that are about the same as my blunts

If anyone has any thoughts please post >.< Do we do better with h2h over the higher damage lower delay 1hb? piercers seem to have low delay but low damage and get mitigated more than blunt is that correct?

Am I correct in assuming that we want to stay away form piercers as a general rule unless we need them for piercing events?

-wild

Khauruk

We formerly had a bonus skill on h2h (or nerf on other skills), but that went away a few years ago.  All weapon types, if identical in ratio/proc, should parse identically.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Damim

The only time you should notice a difference would be in procs and if a mob is weak to a certain damage type.

Nusa

If you've neglected to max the skill in other weapon types, you'll notice the difference when experimenting. Self-correcting, you just have to keep using the weapon type until it maxes.

Latang

I didn't touch my piercing since I was lvl 70, (skill 270) and then scored a piercer the other day from MMM. I checked my skill when I equipped it, and then checked it again when I thought about it halfway through the next raid, and it was 355. Doesn't take long nowadays to max a weapon skill :)

Train Engineer, Chief Hermit of <Mystic Nobles>

Karve

I have the dagger of darkflaying and the dire cesti, dagger has +2dmg from crsyt, so 41/19 vs 39/18 dire cesti.
I *seem* to have more accuracy with the dire cesti yet both h2h and piercing are maxed.

Professional Mad Bastard.

Khauruk

Quote from: Karve on January 30, 2009, 11:05:34 AM
I *seem* to have more accuracy with the dire cesti yet both h2h and piercing are maxed.

Have you parsed it though?
TURNCOAT!!!!!

AbyssalMage

I have the dagger of darkflaying and the dire cesti, dagger has +2dmg from crsyt, so 41/19 vs 39/18 dire cesti.

A) Make sure you don't lose mod 2's with new wepaon or you at least stay over cap(s)
***"A" is pretty simple to verify.

B) Parse on multiple mobs (or test server)
Sense GoD, some mobs have had resistances to certain weapon types.  H2H isn't supposed be a resited weapon type except mobs flagged "resistant to all mellee" and those mobs are usually well documented.  I have seen mobs in SoD and SoF that my high on piercing was in the high 200's on one mob while another was mid 200's.  My H2H damage remained the same on both.  But the difference is small, I think in the range of 3-5% difference in overall piercing damage.  But its easy to spot if you know your highest hit (non-crit) and compare those hits with different mobs.  But you have to check both weapons.  Basically if your max hit is 100 on H2H and 90 on Piercing on Mob A, if on Mob B your max hit on H2H is 100 but your Piercing is now suddenly 87, you can figure there is some kind of resistance to piercing on that mob.  Is 3 damage worth switching out a weapon?  Doubt it (at least not for me) but it is a reduction in damage.

C) Debuff mobs your fighting (If they aren't already)
Kinda goes with "B", but as far as I know, only GoD has had mobs you needed to debuff before Mellee weapons would do full damage.  Not really sure if this was continued in later expansions.

Grimwar
81 Beastlord
Theris-Thule...errr....Prexus

wildwaters

Quote from: AbyssalMage on January 30, 2009, 06:17:25 PM
Sense GoD, some mobs have had resistances to certain weapon types.  H2H isn't supposed be a resited weapon type except mobs flagged "resistant to all mellee" and those mobs are usually well documented.  I have seen mobs in SoD and SoF that my high on piercing was in the high 200's on one mob while another was mid 200's.  My H2H damage remained the same on both.  But the difference is small, I think in the range of 3-5% difference in overall piercing damage.  But its easy to spot if you know your highest hit (non-crit) and compare those hits with different mobs.  But you have to check both weapons.  Basically if your max hit is 100 on H2H and 90 on Piercing on Mob A, if on Mob B your max hit on H2H is 100 but your Piercing is now suddenly 87, you can figure there is some kind of resistance to piercing on that mob.  Is 3 damage worth switching out a weapon?  Doubt it (at least not for me) but it is a reduction in damage.

This may be part of what i was noticing. I kind of figured it was something along these lines. So if H2H is resisted less what about blunt is that resisted less? Anyway it would seem that H2H would be better to go with and personally I think I would steer clear of piercing if this i the case.
   Thanks aby

Kanan

Quote from: AbyssalMage on January 30, 2009, 06:17:25 PM

Way we used to check the resistance of a mob to a particular dmg was comparing the dmg reported on a crit vs the actual dmg done.

I remember on solteris 1, certain mobs would show a crit of e.g. 500, yet dmg of a % less than that.

Gamparse *may* have that built in.  I've not updated or looked at his new ones in a while... still using 1.0.0
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar