Main Menu

New Pet model poll

Started by Hoov, August 16, 2008, 12:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbyssalMage

Quote from: Karilis on August 19, 2008, 02:07:32 PM
As far as Iksar warder model freezing goes?  I've -never- had a problem with it, when Babe(My warder) freezes, she is usually soloing a mob, so it's definitely not moving anywhere, but If I've got like 3-10 mobs in camp that I'm bouncing around to, she slides along the ground if the enemy is moving.  How can anyone say their warder is losing DPS from this bug?  Just because her feet don't move, doesn't mean she doesn't.  Haven't you ever seen someone get stuck in -crucified- position in game?  They still move around, floating arms out... same with things showing up as human or scarecrow models.

DPS parser's show them losing DPS when freezing, thats why they have asked for the fix.  This is also why I posted earlier about using illusion's because although developers intentions where good when they did the Iksar pet change this caused the problem they are experiencing now and its been 2+ years and they haven't fixed it.  Illusions are optional so if they mess up in the coding we don't have to use it and then wait years for a fix.

As far as time to code this and people saying they would prefer them to use there time to fix older issue's, I'm with you but its not going to happen.  EQ seems to like moving forward and never looking back.  So unless they have a policy change the chances of them fixing existing problems older than 90 days is slim to none, with things older than 30 days only having a 50% chance of success.  Mabye the developers suffer from ADD or just have an attention span of 14 days unless written down and stapled to their desk.  Ok, I'm just getting grumpy.  Time to end this!
Grimwar
81 Beastlord
Theris-Thule...errr....Prexus

Grbage

While I'm sure people want their race to have unique illusions it would be better not to push for that. The less dev time it takes the better our chance of getting this in. Making 6 illusions for all the races will take less time then 6 for each race.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

trixbro

"-Beastlords: if they can gain consensus on wanting the newer models for their pets they can have them, however devs currently believe there is big disagreement on that issue"
--from post on samanna concerning new expansion.

I would really like to get my gator pet back, it was one of the main reasons I choose a troll beasty. The new 6 leggy thingy works better in regards to pathing etc, but I really liked my gator!! Thats my vote.

Karilis

Frankly, please don't push this forward to the developers?  Even if it doesn't free them up to fix old bugs, it does free them up a little to do -something else-  anything else would be better than cosmetic changes.  I've listed downsides before, I'll itemize it:

1. Developer time, money, and resources.
2. Computer graphical memory (newer models and textures take more.)
3. They may not implement it in a way we like it(We may all get forced to have the same non-racial pet model.)
4. I don't care what anyone 'says' a DPS parser picked up, the DPS parser doesn't know when your warder is graphically freezing, only you do, and I love Babe too much to care what other people think they saw (Scaled warder).  Plus, if you avoid situations where it matters, ie: Don't run away from the mob, or let anyone other than yourself and a tank take aggro, congratulations, you've got nothing to worry about on your uber DPS losing bug.  If you're talking about aggro kiting, your pet really shouldn't have high aggro procs on her now should she?

Here's an alternate option on something to put forward to the developers, you know how Shadowknights get an innate ability to lifetap, without a buff or weapon proc on, with the touch of the cursed line of aas?  How about we get a group recourse aa, short duration buff, 5 hp 2 mana per tic per level, 10 levels, only procs about once per minute before any modifiers, doesn't heal on the first "tic" lasts for three tics, keeps it from being too wicked with multiple beastlords in a group unless they stagger their melee and/or happen to proc at different times.  Paragon's touch?  *Shrugs*  push -anything- other than the pet model idea, I beg of you?

Dilgartownguard

So your suggestion to not lose dps on kiting is to click off 2.0 click, jeswin, cougar, mage weapons? That's a bit counter productive. My warder is frozen at least 50% of the time. Unless the mob is permarooted, it'll lose damage from people pushing the mob. The only reason I'd push for illusions on the warders is because they seem intent on not fixing the scaled wolf model. Worrying about this taking developer time is rediculous, the spells already exist, I cant see this taking over an hour to make.

Karilis

No, I didn't say to not lose DPS on kiting, I said your pet shouldn't have high aggro procs on while kiting, so that the warder doesn't grab aggro if the kiter moves a step too fast, and if you have cougar permanently available to you, you should know quite well how to position your pet so that the push is going towards your pet, or have companion relocation, and one level of beastlords feral kick, so you can fight on any side of the mob you want, and punt the pet the right direction so that it is in range/right in the middle of the mob.

As far as developers only taking an hour to do any change?  Even if it's 'only' enabling us to cast spells already in game, that requires at least three departments.  Graphical engineering, spell implementation, and itemization departments approval.  They have to create the spell scrolls, link them to the proper item graphic (vellum, whoopdedoo) give them a unique item ID, place them in vendor tables, or on loot tables, link them to the proper memorization effect... and most of this has to get approval multiple times from other departments and higher up for each step.  Sure, they've got it down to a science now where one of the lead programmers on a team can probably pop out a new ability in seconds, but you and I could do the same thing if all it took was altering 6-12 lines in a spell DB.

Anyway- this is not our post, and I apologize that you take offense to what I say, and I shall stop here if you don't attempt to rebutt, let's drop it shall we?

AbyssalMage

Quote from: Karilis on August 26, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
No, I didn't say to not lose DPS on kiting, I said your pet shouldn't have high aggro procs on while kiting, so that the warder doesn't grab aggro if the kiter moves a step too fast, and if you have cougar permanently available to you, you should know quite well how to position your pet so that the push is going towards your pet, or have companion relocation, and one level of beastlords feral kick, so you can fight on any side of the mob you want, and punt the pet the right direction so that it is in range/right in the middle of the mob.

The point is...if your pet is frozen, your pet isn't swinging causing loss of DPS.  If your pet isn't swinging, your pet CAN'T proc.  Doesn't matter what weapons may be used.  This is all related to kiting.  If your kiting, the mob is moving and you and your pet is lower on the agro list than the "kiter".  The pet "freezing" isn't caused by it gaining agro, it's caused by bad programming.  Telling it to reposition doesn't matter, its frozen!  And once its un-frozen its going to knaw on the back of the mob again cause its moving towards the "kiter".  Mabye you where thinking of some other ability.

If your tanking or in a group where some one else is tanking, unless the tank knows how to pin himself and corner the mob the mob is going to experience push.  And with the high number of mobs gaining special abilities, the number of mobs causing push during combat is increading.  And once again, if your pet is frozen, doesn't matter how many times you push your "pet relocation" AA button because he isn't going to move until the graphic glitch un-freezes.

Quote from: Karilis on August 26, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
As far as developers only taking an hour to do any change?  Even if it's 'only' enabling us to cast spells already in game, that requires at least three departments.  Graphical engineering, spell implementation, and itemization departments approval.  They have to create the spell scrolls, link them to the proper item graphic (vellum, whoopdedoo) give them a unique item ID, place them in vendor tables, or on loot tables, link them to the proper memorization effect... and most of this has to get approval multiple times from other departments and higher up for each step.  Sure, they've got it down to a science now where one of the lead programmers on a team can probably pop out a new ability in seconds, but you and I could do the same thing if all it took was altering 6-12 lines in a spell DB.

Anyway- this is not our post, and I apologize that you take offense to what I say, and I shall stop here if you don't attempt to rebutt, let's drop it shall we?

If players could alter code and create modules like some published non-MMO's, I'm sure pet graphics would of been done long ago.  Currently the only thing they let us alter is the User Interface.  And those alterations are user side.  Heck, I would wager many things that players wanted "fixed" would get done faster if the players did it and then submited the changes to quality control and then Sony would patch those recomendations that passed there quality control filters.

Thats why I wouldn't mind them to spend a few hours coding an illusion change because it only effects those who want to use it.
Grimwar
81 Beastlord
Theris-Thule...errr....Prexus

Jonaze

way to hijack the thread

so hows the new models coming?

I would like it to be this Kthx~

Sushe

When I spoke to the devs at the fan faire they seemed kind of surprised that beastlords even wanted new pet models (/sigh). But they were open to updating the older models to the newest in game models.

However, the gator is pretty much gone for good. Sorry trolls. The currect (both old and pop) gator models have huge pathing issues.. which is why it was changed in the first place. Our best chance in that aspect is a totally new model.

Personally, I would like to see at least the older kunark models (bear/tiger) updated to the newest model types. Since they have been going back through the old zones and revamping them there.

Jonaze

Wow I thought it was well known that we wanted new ones.  There has been posts about it for years.  Doesn't make sense they changed the shar val city guard tigers to the new ones.`The poll only had 65 voters but I would say that is a good example of the general consensus of beastlords 87.7% wants them updated.

Panthur

OMG that white tiger model is horrendous. Don't you DARE give me that! I HATE that type of cat model yuck eww gross.

Sushe

Panthur's post is one example of why the devs are kind of on the fence about updating the models btw.. they belive that beastlords as a whole can't agree on what we want.. hence why we tend not to get much of anything.

Zebrn Beasword

Quote from: Sushe on August 31, 2008, 07:37:50 PM
Panthur's post is one example of why the devs are kind of on the fence about updating the models btw.. they belive that beastlords as a whole can't agree on what we want.. hence why we tend not to get much of anything.

Make the pets cusomizable.  You want X tiger model here you go.  You want ice one, here you go.  There all in the global file.  Hell I'll take a red lizard (enchanter illusion) for a pet. :P

You want the same old boring models, keep em.  Just make some sort of hand in token or hand in spell until you have the pet model desired. 
Zebrn <Undivided Faith> - Drinal

Jonaze

that takes so much more work and time to do something like that.

Honestly you look at what we have now and you call new models ugly? i really don't see your logic.

regardless i think the vote is clear, you cant make everyone happy with anything you do.

Inphared

Coding in an illusion of a certain type wouldn't be hard for a pet. I'm not a programmer, but I assume it would be just as easy as coding a spell to work like Secondary Recall or Minor Illusion. You could designate it to certain targets only, or maybe a set group of NPC's in a static zone, and copy off of them.