Main Menu

Protection of Calliav

Started by Latang, July 13, 2004, 12:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latang

I dont have this spell. I have something like 800 ldon points saved atm, getting ready for the next hp aug if/when I get an upgrade. However, besides using it on raids, is it any use to us? About 2khp and 50 dps ago I tried soloing VS in karnors, and his lifetap ate me alive, then ate my pet alive. Would this make any difference at all?

Need an experienced opinion from someone who knows.

Train Engineer, Chief Hermit of <Mystic Nobles>

Toln

Wasn't VS buffed up recently?

In conjunction with the brutal lifetap he also has insane in-battle regen.

I tried him on my necro. Even with 450/tick in dots stacked on him, his health wasn't budging. That was with agro kiting and without any lifetaps going off.

I think he would be really difficult to solo now even if you got past the issue of his dps and lifetap procs.

On the subject of PoC, it's a nice spell to have for raiding especially if you don't have Pet Affinity, but not very practical for soloing imo. It has a really high mana cost and only negates 3 melee rounds. It also has a long re-cast. I don't use it often anymore even while raiding since I have Pet Affinity.

Eatbugs

Calliav is mainly useful for raid AEs - I can only think of a few solo or group situations where I ever use it, (soloing the Trial of Flame in PoJ comes to mind) and it's certainly not a huge help in those.

On raids with big AEs, it flat out rocks. (I don't have pet affinity yet - getting that next, it may change my opinion of Calliav on raids a bit.)  Having your pet shrug off 2k DD AEs is quite nice.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Hzark

This week our guild entered Time for the first time, in alliance with another guild which has been there for some time.

The beastlords from the other guild assured me that there was no point in making a pet beyond phase 2 as I would have no hope of keeping her alive. I had missed phase 2 and 3 and came in on phase 4.

Well I am stubborn and wanted to try it out for myself.

With Calliav I was able to keep my pet alive through phase 4 and 5 with no deaths. We killed 3 of the phase 5 gods and wiped on Innoruuk, by which time it was too late at night for most people to continue. (Actually I LDd just before the wipe, but logged back on dead).

I also have pet affinity, but because buffing was not fully redone after zoning into each phase, for much of the time she was not fully buffed.

The beastlords from the other guild lacked Calliav.

I am very pleased with Calliav for raiding purposes. It is particularly good on mobs with huge DD AEs - like the primal arachnid in Yxxta. But it is also useful for giving you extra time to back your pet off when a mob enrages.

It is useless if the mob has a DS, and too expensive in mana to use when soloing or usually when grouping.
Wildcaller Hzark Drakyr

www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=688699

Ekss

One single group encounter I found Calliav very useful for is the first GoD sewer trial.
The stonemites you have to fight at the end have an AE rampage which was really eating up my poor pet, until I put Calliav on her before we pulled each one. Then she was pretty much full health at the end of each fight.

I agree that its use outside raids is limited, but when it's useful it's very useful :)
Ekss Vyxl
71 Beastlord, Povar

Kylaz

I use Calliav in most of the GoD Trials.

In Trial 1, but even more in Tipt and Vxed, mobs hit over 1060 damage. ff you make a single error there (like sending pet before tank has aggro), your pet gets quadded for 4K. That usually mean a dead pet before tank snaps aggro back.

With calliav on, the pet usually makes it through a few seconds of mob atttention.

Of course, whenever a mob is AOEing, there is no discussion about its utility. It makes a big difference in pet survavibility because the AE often also interrupts the 9 second cast of Sorsha.
With mend companion and Cailliav, you can keep your DPS at top level for a few minutes more.
If you have Pet Affinity AA, Cailliav is probably less important (you can rely on MGB and group heals), but still a very good asset.
Kylaz - Feral Troll
Main Entry:lizĀ·ard
Etymology:Middle English liserd, from Middle French laisarde, from Latin lacerta (Date:14th century)
1 : any of a suborder (Lacertilia) of reptiles distinguished from the snakes by a fused inseparable lower jaw, a single temporal opening, external ears, and eyes with movable lids; broadly : any relatively long-bodied reptile (as a crocodile or dinosaur) with legs and tapering tail

Leatherneck

Quote from: HzarkThe beastlords from the other guild assured me that there was no point in making a pet beyond phase 2 as I would have no hope of keeping her alive. I had missed phase 2 and 3 and came in on phase 4.

They were sorely mistaken.  I'm able to keep a pet up through all fights, with minimal attention given, including Quarm-largely due to PoCalliav.

MisgnomerWA

I absolutely love this spell. On some fights where pets are really important (VZ-time) I keep this on my pet all the time and stand back and nuke. It's a fairly fast cast time.

If your pet is taking MELEE hits, this spell is worthless. OR if the mob has a DS, it will wear off in 3 of warder's attacks. The rune will absorb 3 hits, whether they are melee, DS, or AE. Very situationally useful.

If you're looking for things to buy points on I would buy the NRo pet focus and then get this spell.

Eatbugs

Hm, I'd forgotten about those AE rampage sewer trials stonemites - Calliav was pretty useful there, too.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Skratchen

Quote from: EatbugsOn raids with big AEs, it flat out rocks. (I don't have pet affinity yet - getting that next, it may change my opinion of Calliav on raids a bit.)  Having your pet shrug off 2k DD AEs is quite nice.

In my guild's last 6 Time clearings (that's about all I can remember with clear certainty  :wink: ), I've lost my pet only once.  And the one time I lost him was because I was careless and didn't pull him away from RZ's famous AE ramp at the right time.  Having Calliav & pet affinity makes for a very happy and healthy pet.  At this point I expect to keep the same pet from the first fire mephit in phase one through beating Quarm and breaking his (her?) egg with relatively little effort.

Hey Skratchen!! How many times did slow get resisted on that last mob? Oh, three or four times...

Namog

I love have PoC for pulling single mobs using a green warder...make a normal warder..buff it out the ying yang with mage gear..suspend it..make green warder..use PoC/SoW...pull singles all night long. When the mob comes by itself slow it on incoming and whip out the big warder..

http://ourworld.cs.com/NamogBst/Namog1.JPG">
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=897801">Namog