Main Menu

a little advice pls

Started by Kitvear, May 14, 2004, 01:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitvear

Ok I play the game off and on, sometimes I will get burned out and stop playing for 5 months.  My first major toon was a enchanter so I learned the in's and outs of the "triad" group.  I am basically a grouping beastlord now, though I did solo a little in KC in my low 40's.  I am starting to make progress with my AA's and think there is a lot of LDON stuff that would benefit me if I could get groups reliably.

I detest sitting around lfg and it seems lately I am lucky to get one or two LDON's a night.  My formerly big guild split and now we are lucky to have 5 online at a time.

I kinda would like to explore the solo'ing side of my class.  I have "decent" aa and would like to keep working on that.  I missed out on a lot of the new expansion stuff so I am not familiar with most of the new expansion zones.  I am fairly sure I can solo stuff in PoV but haven't tried it.  My pet has his snare and dpoc and i've actually gotten the "pet mez" , guard and hold thingy to work a few times now. (and wow! btw, I haven't been able to nuke, slow or dot the mob off my pet yet)

My magelo is pretty up to date and i'm just looking for a "soloing beastlord" to chip in and give me a idea of where I can go to start developing my soloing skill and hopefullly get some aa at the same time.  I mentioned pov because it has a graveyard and I know the place like the back of my hand.  I've read just about every post here, and a  lot of people have mentioned tactics and zones where they like to solo. My biggest problem is I have no clue where these zones are.

Sorry for such a long post but I feel like i'm missing out on a lot of fun and a important part of my class and want a little encourgement and advice on this.  Thanks for reading this anyways.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=706403

Kitvear 66  Beastlord
Vearlis 67  Chanter
Zebuxoruk

Tastian

Well hrmmmm...

"Planes" that people mention are mostly in planes of power and you enter them through plane of tranquility.  The scales as you head out take you to justice.  That's a nice spot for mowing down blue mobs and making some pp.  Taking a left you come to a big windmill that gets you into innovation where you can again mow down blue mobs and make solid AA.  I'd suggest a map from like EQAtalas or something as it's easier to just look than get directions to everything hehe.  Also in game maps are great for this.  

Nightmare has blue mobs and the "hedge" area near zone out II is kinda popular with some beastlords I know.  You zone into nightmare and levi/invis (doesn't really help hehe) and then run with the wall on your left,  as you get close to the river move away from zone wall more and then levi across the river (avoid as many mobs as you can) and then follow zone wall again to the hedge maze event.  Usually you can just set up there and pulled scorned banshees and nettling wraiths.  Long as no one is at hedge or camping goblins you can just use zone out if you train well getting to know the area.  It's pretty easy single pulls, mobs hit ~300, kinda fun spot, no real loot though.

Plane of valor, tactics, and halls of honor are all right next to each other in the little cave with all the stones.  Sol ro tower is there too, but you can't get in without a lot of flags.  Valor you can do the larvae/frogs at zin, but they hit in the 438 range, frogs can hit harder.  Also the big ones are immune ot changes in run speed, but the small ones aren't.  If you are looking to use hobble and do some aggro kiting then you can head out to the wasteland.  Out near lever and it's pretty easy single pulls there where you can drop golems and stuff.  

BoT is out past Plane of storms and has a few things you could try.  I like the turkeybees up top.  They are either warriors or clerics.  They hit in the 544 range and the CH on clerics can be annoying if you don't stop it.  

Older content you have droga that's pretty nice and can get you some loot.  

The spots like valor and BoT are rough camps at your gear level/aa level to tank solo and can get rough.  I think as you solo around some you'll find what is more your style.  Either the mowing down constant blues or the dropping 500 hitters for 5% AA a kill.  If you have more specific quetsions fireaway, although I think maybe this should be in the hunting grounds forum or something hehe.  Boy and you thought your post was long!! 8P

Hereki

First of all, you'll get better experience in groups than you will solo.  However, solo you can control your downtime, and with LDoN downtime is a major factor.

I can't read Magelo from this computer, but I assume that you are an unflagged 65 beastlord with reasonable AAs.

The key to soloing as a beastlord is many low dark blues.  You won't find many of them in PoP, and very few past tier 1.  If you have favourite spots in Tier 1, revisit them to build up your soloing strategies.  Innovation, Disease, Nightmare and Justice all have good spots (the most popular camps in PoJ are too low, however, but the rest will all be dark blue camps).

The best soloing spots are outside PoP: Nurga, Droga, Veksar - all of them revamped old world zones.  LoY zones are decent, as well: Torgiran Mines and Nadox.

If you have good AAs, and can solo in tier 1 efficiently, then you can try higher tiers - PoV, BoT courtyard, etc.

Chubaka

If you just want to grgind out a few AA. Go to griegs.  I have only 43AA and crappy gear and with a KEI I can bang out an AA in 1h 40min.  The mobs give 1.5% each.

I invis to avoid the three mobs at the entrance.  Co straight through the door and through the next door.  Ignore the mob to your right and close the door and make a hard left. Stay on the wall so not to pop the trrap and go through the door on the left.  

Summon your pet in this hall. Buff up etc.  Open the next door and pull the Willsapper into the hall.  When it is dead go into the room and the trap mob will pop on the rug.  Kill it.  Head down into the courtyard and kill the one to the immediate right. (Beside the steps) then just pull singles around the entire courtyard.

Leave Two-spawns alone.  To much mana and hassle.  After courtyard is dead. head down the stairs and to the right.  There is a few around there to kill and after you kill about 6 or 8 mobs. Head back to the beginning and start again.  This plan also maximises the chance to pop named.  And if you get a Blade of Insanity you can hand it into the tribute master for 10,000 points.

Anyway like I said.  1h 40min for an AA with crappy gear and few AA

This of course is just for grinding aa if your waiting to find a group or only have an hour to play.  It does get boring.
Chubaka
65 Beast
Terris Thule

Magelo
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=934088

mrowrr

Also the nameds drop a few items, one being a sword that gives you over 10k tribute points.  I basically use the zone for AAX and tribute items.
Mrowrr Puur
70 Beastlord
http://www.dwarecmercs.com">Dwarec Mercs
Terris Thule
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=118261">Mrowrr's Bling Bling!

Chubaka

Quote from: Chubaka.  This plan also maximises the chance to pop named.  And if you get a Blade of Insanity you can hand it into the tribute master for 10,000 points.

Heheheh apparently Mrowrr just skimmed my post. hehehe. /bonk

Blade of Insanity is 10,900
Mantle of Distraction is 1,900
Gauntlets of Dimentia are 760

That is all the items I have gotten cause I cant go in to the harder mobs cause it would decrease my AA/hour rate. heheh.

Not to mention in 2 hours you should find at least 1k in vendor junk.
Chubaka
65 Beast
Terris Thule

Magelo
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=934088

Kitvear

Thanks to everyone for chipping in, I read all the posts and decided to go with a zone I've never been in before, (Grieg's End) Chubaka, I can tell you've been there before.  I think my gear succor's, naked and self-buffed +virtue I have 4654 hps, with gear and self-buffs, I get 4001 hps.

Anyways, I went into Grieg's End with 9, Kei and self buffs, mana was never a issue.  I followed your instructions to the "T" and had a blast.

I learned a few things that I suspect everyone else knew all along but suprised me.  My pet can out tank me any day of the week.  I actually got 2 mobs on a couple pulls (hard headed and went for the 2's anyways)

The first time the pet had one, and was wacking it, I slowed it and drew aggro on the second mob with my slow (think pet was pushing in wrong direction anyways),  I slowed the second mob and pulled it to me,  I let the pet have his mob and I beat up on the second, I flat out was shocked that I killed my mob before my lil bear killed his.

The second time I drew 2 mobs, I decided to try something different.  I let my bear build aggro on the first, (had it targeted and watched the mobs health drop a couple of percent), then I guarded him, targeted the second mob and backed the bear off and told him to attack the second mob.  When the second mob health dropped a couple of percents, I slowed it, then put my bear back on mob1, gave it a couple of percents of damage and slowed that mob too.  I waited a couple more percents of damage then put my bear back on mob2, gave it about 3 percent of health drop on mob2 and hit it with scorpian venom.  Then I put the bear back on mob1 and repeated my dot.   My pet got down to 40 and I could have let him use his dpoc on hold but since my mana was good I just casted my slow pet heal spell on him.

3 mobs though is a flat out no-no, a quick death, maybe if I had better eq...

I spent about a hour there just roaming around killing stuff and got 1k in plat and vendor loot.  Yeah I see your point about it being boring, but imho it's long overdue for me to spend some quality time with my pet learning how to move mobs about and controlling aggro.

Incidently, I put rellic, arag, ios, kraggs, spiritual strength, shifting shield, and sow on him.  When I got lazy I didn't bother to fight at all, just sent him at a mob, slowed it, put on pet hold and let him run back with the mob chasing him and when the mob was where I wanted him, made the bear attack the mob again.  Takes a bit longer but great for short afk's and what not. I also went to the bazaar and bought some pet toys for him, the summoned fists, mask and girdle, cost about 50ish p, but adds hps and I think better damage.  I am not convinced that the haste on the muzzle? actually makes a difference, but for the cost it's just something I toss on him and hope for the best.

Thanks again to everyone for replying, I think I will spend a few more hours learning pet tricks then I might try pov. I am scared of the bee's in BOT yet.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=706403

Kitvear 66  Beastlord
Vearlis 67  Chanter
Zebuxoruk

Coprolith

QuoteI learned a few things that I suspect everyone else knew all along but suprised me. My pet can out tank me any day of the week.

Judging by your Magelo's 996 unbuffed AC that's prolly true for a DPoC focused pet with a full set of buffs and mage summoned pet toys. But for me the reverse has been true for the better part of my BLs career. I've always tanked better then my pet, and by a considerable margin at that. The pet may have had more hp's then me, but he got hit for max damage far more often because his natural AC is very low which is one of the reasons why i've never pet-cleric'ed. The mobs in Grieg's for instance barely dent my regen once they're slowed. On pulls of multiple mobs i kept them on me an popped Protective Spirit while i tried to slow them, because the pet had a hard time surviving the inital onslaught of multiple unslowed mobs. But since i've started 3-boxing with a mage (100+AC from summoned armor) and acquired the DPoC the situation has reversed for me as well. In LDoN adventures i get multiples on a pull all the time and now my pet is doing most of the tanking.

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Tastian

One of the biggest things for me about pet tanking was just the severe drop in dps.  I actually ran some tests using pet cleric tactics in some of the spots I usually rip through blues or blast solo and I just couldn't handle pet-cleric'n there.  As always it depends on your situation, but with my regen, AA's, and my personal dps being higher than the pets I just can't efficently pet cleric.  I do use my pet to mez stuff at times though and a multipull is nice for that, especially if you've got pet mend up.  8)