Main Menu

Apology

Started by Atropine_BB, October 20, 2004, 04:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giledorm

I don't think it's a question of Tolerance, it's a question of appropriateness (is that a word?).  

If the mods or anyone else was intolerant, you wouldn't have made one post with that sig, and probably been banned until you change it.

What was (more than) politely said was this isn't the place for political discussion.  It's for a game.  As was said, if you wanted to start an OOC thread about supporting bush, more powah to ya brudder.  However, by using that insignia (or any variation thereof since your keen on that), you're putting political paraphenalia on the rest of this board, which is what I'm guessing the mods want to stay away from.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=395485&resize=true target=_blank>http://www.thirds.org/moose/newsig.jpg border=0>

Oneiromancer

Quote from: Atropine_BBI come here to help with the content of my posts, not the content of my signature.

Clearly there is a difference.

Your signature and the content therein are attached to every single post you make, therefore there is no difference.  That is the crux of the matter.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Atropine_BB

Quote from: LorathirI'm still neutral, but Atropine...

"A Beastlord for Bush" ?

Mate, seperate EQ from politics. This is getting weeeeird.

Yes Lorathir, I agree.  This is getting weird.

Weird that I have to defend a small unoffensive picture in my signature.  

Is a persons signature not supposed to reflect themselves?

I do not post political speeches on this website.  I do not post political topics on this website.

I have chosen a signature that reflects me.

I am truly saddened that this website has come to this.  Brought on by something I guess I won't ever understand.

I had a question in my very first post when this whole thing started...

I have always wondered what it is that truly brings someone to be annoyed or bothered by a visual queue or word or sound...

A small picture in a signature.  A signature that is suppossed to represent me.  It does.

I will await the nerf bat from the moderators.  It is apparent that Tastian has had his word on this as he has influence here.

Quote from: TastianSigh I'm done with this it will be handled soon, but I have other things to be doing.

What will be, will be.  

I want everyone to know that I respect the decisions of the moderators, and will not fight it if they choose to remove the picture from my signature.  That has been my position from the beginning.
Elder Atropine Invictus
Beastlord Bard Ranger || Cleric Druid

Skratchen

At this point, the thick-headedness of the political ad sig owner is turning people off to the very message he's trying to promote.  Son, you're doing your cause a diservice by showing your disrespect.  You are not an owner of this web site.  Therefore, this isn't Burger King and you can't have it your way, nor should you.

Hey Skratchen!! How many times did slow get resisted on that last mob? Oh, three or four times...

Atropine_BB

Skratchen, I'm not trying to put a message out there.

I simply have a signature that represents me.

That's all.
Elder Atropine Invictus

Yzak

So ask yourself.

What should I do if my sig that represents me affects other people negatively on the board?

Your not thinking about other people here.

Edit: typo.
Wildcaller Yzak
Drinal Marr

Jolrash

I've had to step back and take a look at this topic and have realized that there will be no good solution to this.  This board will suffer whatever the outcome is.  3 pages is out of control on an issue such as this.  Both sides have a fair and valid arguement but will in turn cause many not to return when and if a desision is set down.  The knowledge that is passed down from here and the new Beastlords will be ones that suffer from it.

Atropine_BB

Quote from: YzakWhat should I do if my sig that represents me affects other people negatively on the board?

You should apologize and explain why you are keeping your signature.

Is that not suitable and respectful?
Elder Atropine Invictus

Eatbugs

Erm - I think you misunderstood my response to your apology. (Although the second apology was pretty amusing, considering its utter insincerity.)  I really don't need an apology.  I don't care about an apology.  I don't even care about the sig.  I was simply pointing out that you're attempting to make a matter of principle out of something that isn't covered by any principle I can think of.  Spamming your political views in forums in which they're not only not welcome but not even on topic isn't a "principle."
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Atropine_BB

The principle is based on my belief that everyone has a right to freedom of expression within the confines of boundaries set by judicial legislation.

In this case, the judicial legislation is the moderator/administrator, and the boundaries are the posted rules.

Based on my belief of that principle, am I not correct in keeping the picture in my signature?
Elder Atropine Invictus

Yzak

Quote from: Atropine_BB
Quote from: YzakWhat should I do if my sig that represents me affects other people negatively on the board?

You should apologize and explain why you are keeping your signature.

Is that not suitable and respectful?

Somebody said this already, but apologizing and not having any action is futile.

You run into the person infront of you on the road.  You get out of your car and say, I respect you for driving and I apologize for hitting you.  You get back into your car and drive off.  That does nothing.
Wildcaller Yzak
Drinal Marr

JillieMT

Quote from: Atropine_BBThe principle is based on my belief that everyone has a right to freedom of expression within the confines of boundaries set by judicial legislation.

In this case, the judicial legislation is the moderator/administrator, and the boundaries are the posted rules.

Based on my belief of that principle, am I not correct in keeping the picture in my signature?

The problem is, is that moderators have spoken. You know how we stand. The fact that you continue to argue with us means that you are not acting within the boundaries, eh? So instead of relying on you to take care of the situation, you are forcing us to. So, what you want us to do, is go through and list each and every one of millions of things that are not considered appropriate. Even though we have been trying to get everyone to use common sense, and police themselves.

So, no, you are not correct.
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Atropine_BB

I retract my apologies.

There are very many intolerant people on this forum, and that saddens me.

It was just a picture people.

I think someone said it best when they said, "It's time to take a chill pill."

I choose freedom of expression over censorship.  However it is obvious that many outspoken members do not.
Elder Atropine Invictus

JillieMT

You are absolutely right.

We shouldn't be tolerant of people that enjoy shouting their beliefs in the ears of others. By ranting about your rights, you are stepping on everyone else's. All we want to do is keep the atmosphere of the board at a happy level. Political statements on EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS (in the sig) are not conducive to this environment.

Again, you are absolutely free to take your political discussions to OOC forum.

Or, to another board.

So this is not censorship, just asking you to keep whatever political statements you want to make in their proper place. Just like we do with every single EQ and beastlord related subject.
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Atropine_BB

I haven't made any political posts or had any political discussions.

It is your personal opinion that I am stepping on everyone else's rights.  There was never any rule against a political picture in signatures.

I don't bring political discussions to this board and I never have.  I simply put a political picture in my signature.

You are obviously not tolerant enough to accept that.
Elder Atropine Invictus