Main Menu

Spirit of Snow

Started by embrau, March 02, 2004, 09:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

embrau

I recently hit 54 and just picked up Spirit of Snow for 2k in the Bazaar.  Based on some others on this forum, that seemed like a good deal so I grabbed it.  That is a lot of money and I am wondering if it is worth it for my play style.  I solo and do a combination Pet Cleric and melee (I try to use all 3 bars - my health, pet health, mana).  This is my first proc that has a negative hate toward the pet.  Is this spell only good for aggro kiting?   I know I am getting a extra .5 sec stun and 10dd increase but I am wondering if I should keep this spell or try and get rid of it.  I bought it because I haven't seen it that cheap before so I didn't want to lose this chance.

Thanks!
Worelorf - 56 Animist

TerjynPovar

The negative hate towards the pet has no real appreciable impact if you aren't kiting, but is a very big help if you are.

Rellic > Flame > Snow > Storms in general.

Keep Snow, you won't regret it.  Especially since you are 9 levels away from Rellic, and if you think 2K is too much for Snow wait till you see the prices on Flame.
Terjyn, Retired Feral Lord on the Povar Server

Tastian

Most likely you'll never notice the neg hate on snow.  The pet's taunting and procs are more than enough aggro solo unless you are going slow/dot heavy really early in a fight.  Snow is also nice because of it's cost.  Flame is the spell that I know some beastlords skip.  Getting snow gives more stun/dd and gives you a different resist (flame and storm are both fire).  Snow was easily worth 2k to me (I paid 5k or so I think hehe).  However, flame is usually 15k+, so kinda cross that bridge when you get to it hehe.

TerjynPovar

Flame has finally come down on Povar from the 40K+ it used to go for to the 10-20K region depending on seller.

What is quite annoying/ironic is that Snow has actually risen in price on Povar, so now for some reason both go from 10-20K.

I don't even care anymore about either spell, but that's still depressing to feel for the beastlords coming behind me on the server.
Terjyn, Retired Feral Lord on the Povar Server

Phanq

I'm on the Rathe server and I have yet to see Snow in the bazaar.  I see Flame on occasion, once every week or two and have yet to see it for less than 45k.  So I suppose what I'm trying to say is count your blessings that you got it so cheap.
Phanq - 51st Season - Beastlord - The Rathe server

Maeceo

It is still pricey on Luclin, snow goes for about 6-10k easy. As for flame, I never saw it for sale, I camped the spawn in the deep that is left of the entrance for about 2 full levels before the named dropped it for me. I imagine if I actually found it for sale that it would be easily 40k.

Zeone

payed 10k for spirit of snow last night on Xeogny. it was the only copy i have seen for sale.

Ganlum

Is it at all possible for us to solo the spell? Or were does it drop?

Tastian

Eatbugs

QuoteIs it at all possible for us to solo the spell?

The only soloable mob I know of that drops it is the Thought Stealer in ME - and by the time you can solo him, you probably have Rellic already.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Pugruk

I have a reseller mule on Drinal and usually see 1-3 copies for sale at a time. Snow routinely sells for about 12.5k. I actually logged on to find a copy for 500pp which I'm going to keep and hopefully find Flame now. There was a single copy a few weeks ago for 15k in bazaar, I probably should have grabbed it.

Pugruk
Drinal

Taurius

Saw Snow for sale yesterday in the Baz for a little over 12k.  I couldn't believe it!

How useful actually is this spell?  I never used Spirit of Wind because of the annoying knock back effect (I do a lot of LDoN and the knock back is more hinderance than help).  I stuck with Vermin until I got Storm.

Does Snow have the same knock back effect as Wind?  I can't stand that...  If I didn't use Wind will I really find Snow helpful?

Thanks!

Oneiromancer

Wind is the only pet proc that has a huge knockback.  All of the procs from Snow up to Rellic stun for 2.0 seconds instead of the 1.5 that Storm stuns for.  And of course there's the negative hate associated with Snow and Flame...but in practice it's not so noticeable since Stun has a lot of hate associated with it.

I'd say that 12k is too much unless you're a total collector.  I got Snow and Flame for ~ 2k each, so I felt they were worth it.  Much more than that and it makes more sense to stay with Storm.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Tastian

I wouldn't give 12k for snow, but it's really a personal choice.  I liked snow over flame for a few reasons.

-  Flame usually costs much more

-  Despite what some think storm saves againist fire so having snow gives you cold/fire save for your procs.  

-  I hunted a lot in sol B around those levels so snow was a huge boost over flame/vermin.

I could have easily seen myself paying 10k for snow, but I didn't have to.  Flame on the other hand I never really cared about and outside of velks/emp never even used.  Different people will hunt different places though, so you kind of have to evaluate the spell cost for yourself.

Taurius

QuoteWind is the only pet proc that has a huge knockback.

Definately good to know.  I had simply assumed that any spell interruption proc would also have the knock back effect.  Now I can leave that factor out when deciding for or against buying a pet proc spell.

Thanks!  :)

QuoteI wouldn't give 12k for snow

I didn't, and probably won't.  I just transferred from Bristlebane to Stromm (RL friends play on Stromm and since they opened transferres I hopped over), and the economy on Stromm is kinda funky.  Like, a Shield of Bane Warding that I paid 4kpp for on Bristlebane I was able to sell on Stromm for 15k.  Which is great...but then there's the flip side that a spell worth about 2k costs 12... /sigh.

And wow!  A response from Tastian our SOE Community Rep himself!  I feel kinda special!