Main Menu

Promised mending

Started by leillian, October 08, 2006, 11:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leillian

Hello there,
Excuse me if this has been covered elsewhere, new to all this,
Could someone explain to me what this spell is and how it works?
Have cast it on my pet but see nothing happening, mind you i am usually to busy looking at my hp disapeering to notice much else.
Thank you in advance for your time

Shieara

You cast it and then it heals the pet for 8.5k 18 secs later.

Epee

Is an awesome spell if u do any pet tank soloin. 

Taiglin

Epee (or anyone) - as I am not yet 73 I was curious if you have settled on a general use strat with it. 18 seconds seems like a long time. Based on some of your past posts when you say pet tank soloing I am guessing you really are talking about soloing vs a hidden multiboxed toon in there.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Kanan

It was working quite effectively when I was messing around in the Steppes at 74, soloing.  I tested it out, just pet clericing (I don't like doing this way because the pet's dps is so inferior to our own, the kills run quite slow), and, when the mob was slowed, the pet was tanking with less healing than I was needing.

Just cast it the second the pet starts taking any damage, or cast it as soon as the pet gets agro.  Then recast as soon as it wears off.

It was allowing my pet be a rather effective offtank against the gnolls.  I honestly think I may use that as my solo spot in the future, because, although the gnolls can shoot at you from afar, it makes it a little bit more fun ;p
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

leillian

Thank you , i have now got some grasp of the spell.
So far i have always played my BST as a tank with the pet as a verry effective walking dot, but the game designers have it appears decided that my soloing days are, while not quite over, at least numbered. I simply can not take the damage that even new lb mobs are capable of doing.
I have over 550 aa's defensive virtually maxed and still watch my hp disapear alarmingly.

Perhaps more pet tank, but think in reality will simply give up on EQ and go elsewhere.
It is not that i do not like groups but hate being forced to play a certain way simply because that is the game designers view. I can struggle on killing 15 green/lb for 1% erxp but thought as you grew in levels you would feel stronger not weaker, i realise that is a relative concept, but it is the way i feel at the moment.
Still thank you once again for the pointers, much appreciated.

Epee

I use it like Kanan.  When I solo I utilize everything that I have.  Pet tanking/pet clericing is nice for soloin, but I use a combo of both 99% of the time.  I pull with slow, sick pet and let him get agro( alot quiker now with the larn line).  I then cast DOD pet, promised mending, and watch pets health.  If pet gets low and the PM is not close to proc, I usually run in and grab the agro until pet heal procs.  Then back off and let the pet tank again.  Lately been experimenting with Steeltrap, but I am not to impressed for now.  For the mobs that I solo it seems the slow wears off at 50% or around that, which is not to effecient.  Course I still use 65 slow more than 70 hehe.

Taiglin

Sounds very shaman-esque. Wonder if this will give rise to a new way of soloing and give viability to certain lines of AA (like dot crits).

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord

Tardar

Good lord I hope not, cuz our dots are bad enough and resisted enough to be almost glad they are as useless as they are now.

Nusa

I finally played with this, and I love it, at least when soloing. I'll find out about raiding soon.

It casts fast, and it's mana efficient...pair it up with Growl of the Panther for some extra hp and healing, and it shines. It opens up some different tactics, and I played with it. Pet-clericing is practical again, so long as the situation wont kill it in 18 seconds. You can cast it right before starting the fight, especially when you have multiple mobs to tank. You can heal the pet while meleeing....as soon as the previous heal hits the pet, cast it again.

And kiting has taken on a new twist. I deliberately grabbed six mobs (three of them would be my limit head-on), kited them around and had the pet peel them off one at a time (taunt = on). I was able to effectively heal the pet while kiting and killed off four of them that way before finishing them off.

The redeeming value, just like with our nukes, is in the speed of the cast. It might fizzle, but it wont get interrupted like a regular heal. The delayed aspect of the heal can be dealt with. If you're in melee and the pet is dying too fast, you can insert your own body before the pet dies.

Taiglin

Nusa would you mind sharing where that was?

Tardar - let me pose my statement in a different light. I box a mage and my line of thought was more along the lines of a shammy + mage combo which, apparently, is one of the more common mage + X duos. Since our warders hold aggro over the mage pets and we have 2 pet heals I could see a potential for more of a pet cleric role. The dots would just be some extra damage we could throw from range (on top of nukes?). I need 2 more yellows before I can even test this spell out. It may turn out that the loss of our personal melee damage is too much to overcome in most senarios but current gear, AAs, etc all would play a part in that too. I would rather be in the mob's face but this could bring back the in and out of combat dance many soloers used to do at a young age. I still remember stepping out of combat to hit bind wound or heal myself.

Just wish our pets could tank as well as some of the mage ones. We don't have some tucked away defensive pet AAs that no one ever thought about buying because they didn't make sense until now do we?  :-D

Vidyne

with the 2500 hp jump from rashara to Ulanes(sp..), he is a viable tank with promised mending on most things that hit 900 or less once slowed.  They can still kill the pet, but not as often as before.
I usually will melee for a bit, til i am down to 55% or so...  cast Promised, wait about 5 sec til i'm down to 35% or so.. then back off and heal myself while pet tanks.  9 times out of ten, he's got plenty of HP to live til Promised fires.

I've even had him offtanking a nest mission adds with 70 shm HoT 820/tick and promised on him.

He is still a 70 warrior(focused) with 9500hp(focused), and 1500~ or less AC, and no def aa, shielding or avoidance.   but he's 9500 unbuffed hp! :)

Kanan

Hmmmm.. some of the above stuff gave me a thought that should have been a "duh!" one, especially since I made the connection long ago for clerics:

Cast promised mending on engage, hell, before engage.

Let Putty tank.

Spot with Minohten's/Uluanes as needed (I'd likely use Minohtens, cuz that's almost always up over the other)

The speed of promised mending is great.  I think I'll actually have to make a macro again, just to assist after casting on the pet.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Rarrum

It's been pretty effective when fighting light blues so far.  But get much higher than that and if your going to use it, you either need to wove in and take half the hits for pet anyways, or using a second heal to keep it alive until promised lands.

18 seconds I still think is too long, given the poor survivability of our pet.  If they de-gimped our pet's ability to take hits from any "real" mob, I could see 18s as reasonable, else it really needs to be like 12s.

Nusa

Quote from: Taiglin on October 10, 2006, 03:00:32 PM
Nusa would you mind sharing where that was?

I was playing in Sunderock Springs...the six mobs I grabbed were four guards from a roaming patrol and a couple engineers from the catapult they were passing. All light blues, but I'd already been killing them for quest purposes so I knew how hard they hurt in toe-to-toe melee. I had Tenacity and self-buffs (I'm still level 73, 11K unbuffed), the 73 pet just had my buffs.

And ya, harder mobs might have come out different, but since I can already kill most dark blues with more conventional tactics, it at the very least lets one back off more often and let the pet take some of the damage.