Main Menu

Need Agro

Started by Bloodgod, February 24, 2004, 03:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emmdee

Scorp Venom without a doubt.

Fennin Ro is a farm mob for us, so pretty easy stuff. Every once in a while tho, the MT goes down for whatever reason. Guess who gets summoned first. Not the rangers, not the wizards... its the 2 beastlords at the back casting 2 nukes every 30 secs and a scorp venom every 45 secs. No melee, no pets, not even preslows.

Scorp Venom.

Tukash

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quotekeep your pet Proc as Spirit of the Storms...even over Spirit of Rellic
200 hate per proc is kinda nice

K what am I missing here?  What good is that going to do if you're tanking, that's 200 to pet aggro which isn't any good if you are in melee range and tanking.  This is not a slam, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something?

I use Slow and Scorp, then use Incapacitate if needed to regain aggro if I lost it.  I used to use FoL, but had some instances of mob running even though I was in melee range.
Tukash - Feral Lord, Tarew Marr

Traz

I'm fairly lucky in that I have 3 other folks that I'm usually always grouped with, Ranger, Druid, Cleric and Myself.

On a single pull it's easy, I pull with slow, add pet, begin Melee, add our big DoT and wait for the mob to die. Agro is usually no issue here. On the occasions I pull 2 to 5, yup 5 not my nornal pull, about the max we can handle, and it gets a bit hectic. On those I again pull with slow, add pet then move to each addidional mob and slow/dot them. In the mean time the group stays on the pull mob. By the time I get back to the main mob they are about dead. Even with the cleric healing me through the slow/dot process I usually maintain agro. If  one should wonder off towards her I just hit them with a DoT or re-apply it and they wonder back to me.

Where I have problems is if we have a shaman as mentioned. I explain that my best agro is if I get to slow first and get to use my DoT. If this doesn't sink in I let them get agro once or twice they usually catch on. My worst is Wizards, not all, but the ones that cast the BIG boom right after pull, get a crit on it, holler LOOK AT THAT then sit. Once the mob gets to them instead of just stading there and letting you get agro they cast again. I just let the mob beat on at that point. No amount of mana I throw at the mob is going to get agro at that point. Just trya nd beat it down while maintaining agro on any others.

Wow that rambeled on alot longer then I expected.

Bottom line is let the others know what you need to do to get/maintain agro. If you play with a regular group they'll understand just how much they can do and not pull agro. In a pickup group or when adding a new person just try and inform them. If they want to be a useful part of the group they will catch on. But keep in mind, some people just don't learn or care, those you can't do anything about.

Traz

Tommba

QuoteThis is almost exactly what I do. I open up with my 65% slow, then chain cast my lowest level slow. If I need more aggro, I alternate between them, chain casting both of them. It gives me pretty good taunt abilities, although it does get tiresome after a while.

I do the same thing when I tank. I chain cast them both twice (overkill most times), then cast the lowest level one a couple more times during the fight. If I need to draw a mob off a caster a couple of casts of Scorp Venom pretty much always does the job.
Baron http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=888523">Tommba Braderick <http://www.dieringtraeger.de">Die Ringtraeger>
64th Season Savage Lord
Vallon Zek

spinetickler

I group primarly with my wife's Shaman and have had to learn how to maintain aggro on multiple mobs when we have a big pull. I tend to use Tainted Breath once or twice while she slows the one I am casting one then I move to the next mob and do the same.

Granted I am not as experienced as many of you, but I have had to play around with spells for aggro and just noticed that TB give me more aggro with very little mana.

Cuthiss
51 Iksar Beastlord on Lanys

Xuthaz

bounced slows are about the same aggro as a slow that sticks.  Seems that a resisted slow is even more aggro than one that sticks/bounces.
Elder Xuthaz Everhate
- Iksar Feral Lord -

Grune

One thing you might also want to try is to get some of those Anger procs from LDON adventures. Get a sort of agro weapon set going for those times when you need it. Get some decent weapons just under what you have now. Should help :)

Just looked at your magelo. You're using Golden Wraps in your main hand. Get a WLK and toss one of those anger procs on it. Not a whole lot worse than you're currently using :)
Grune the Destroyer and his partner in chicanery Leghumper
Find your power animal, junior. It will help you during those tough times when doubt plagues your mind. Mine is the Hammer.
BST62.26/Xg h++ 2.8khp 2.8km ft6 r8 g- e+ 0++ T++ L+I H++ F+++ g b D---

Rumtum Tugger

It never takes me that much to maintain agro, even with a paladin in group.  I hit slow, incap, then tainted and I don't lose agro.  I have had a chanter get agro when they slowed, but tainted landed and it came back to me without reaching the chanter.  Same situation with a wizzy nuke and I can even maintain agro over a pally.  They stun I hit tainted before they break free.  On mezzed mobs, I tell the slowers to not slow until I break mez.  No reason to lose time on the slow while it stands there drooling.  I walk up and slow them then incap and wake them.  Other dots and nukes as needed but mob is dieing fast so never get too many second scorp casts anyway.  Tainted was the key for me tanking and I am no uber beast.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=732264" target="_blank" class="postlink">Rumtum Tugger
65 Beast
Lanys
"Back.  Back off.  Gah, you stupid cat, where are you going? ..... TRAIN!"

Jaeren

Anger procs are WAR only though ;)

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

Otuol

He can still get the Ykesha procs fom Guk adventures.  Those create some good agro as well that cant be dismissed.

Anyhow, use Tainted Breath.  I tell this to every BST I meet that asks me how I keep agro in groups.  Spell haste in some way (mage or dropped item) helps too, of course.  :)

Kherryn

Anger procs are Warrior only (and I have no problems with that, really).

Seeing as how I more often than not tank when I'm in the group (unless we have a definitely better tank), I've been looking into a weapon setup for agro purposes.  I've been looking into getting a CHoS and going to Guk to throw the lowest Ykesha proc (100hp + stun) so I have a weapon to mainhand that will let me hold agro without spending mana if I was having some problems with mana.

Oneiromancer

Quote from: OtuolAnyhow, use Tainted Breath.  I tell this to every BST I meet that asks me how I keep agro in groups.  Spell haste in some way (mage or dropped item) helps too, of course.  :)

Used Tainted Breath last night while tanking a LDoN.  Worked awesome.  Had 2 wizards and a mage nuking away and only lost aggro 2 times total I believe, and one of those times it snapped back as soon as the DoT landed.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Essant

I never have a problem holding agro when I want to, and basically if i try the only ones that can steal agro from me are a BoW equipped or better warrior, a Paladin, .. or a Necro.

Pull with slow .. dont even let other classes slow if they are in group, yours is good enough.

Tap off about 3 casts of Tainted Breath on the mob to really piss it off.

Vampire Augs in both weapons seem to help.

I personally only use FoL when taunting before a mez break.  Seen some really screwy things with FoL in the past and even though mobs arent supposed to run if you are in melee range .. sometimes they do anyway.  More of a risk than its worth, use Tainted Breath during actual combat.
Elder Essant Le'Fur
70 Vah Shir Beastlord of the Rathe
Brotherhood of the Spider
My Stuff!

Beerig-FV

Sha's Revenge / Incapacitate / Tainted Breath / Envenomed Breath / Venom of the Snake - three lowest poison DoTs, fast-casting and stacking, and by the time you cast the third one, you can refresh Tainted Breath... low-ish mana cost, guaranteed aggro in group-situations where you try and get aggro on all the mobs and the others know you are...

but then there's all sorts of ways I suppose...

Mangorn

I find the best way to keep aggro for me is to slow on incoming, and use a Dedgerex's Flintforged Cudgel MH, and a Steel Hilted Flint Dagger OH. With the DoT's if in a heavy aggro causing caster group, 95% of the time there's _nobody_ that can pull aggro off of me for any amount of time, unless they're a Monk, Warrior, Berserker, Pally that's 2+ levels above me, or else very, very good with their skills and anger augs. While I don't usually need to hold aggro if we've got a tank along, there've been instances when grouped with a roughly equivalent level tank that actually had worse stats/gear than me, (Or we find out after the 2nd pull in an LDoN that they don't know a sword from a hole in the ground) and I've needed to hold aggro because I could tank better. (Rare, but it happens on occasion)

On the flip side, I frequently end up in groups in various places with no tank at all except me, and mostly caster types, and as a result have needed to hold aggro. With the combination of weapons above, and a couple of spells, I usually have no problem, though DoT's help keep the aggro up over the course of the fight for sure.

I occasionally group with a Monk friend same level as me, he's got twice the AA's, 100 better AC, and slightly less HP's. He's always complaining about groups with tanks that can't keep aggro no matter what. Even going so far as to going with just his fists and no Disc's, with FD in the middle of fight to keep the aggro on the tank. Admittedly some of the tanks are worthless, but still... I can almost always keep aggro off him when it's just him, my bst, and my 2-boxed mage. Even when he's pulling, about the only times he gets aggro for short time periods is when I flub spells, or they get resisted, or he uses a Disc. Those times are usually short-lived as I throw an extra slow, or DoT and grab it right back. A max Dex helps a lot, as it keeps those weapons proccing regularly.
Mangorn's current crud

Saryrn Server - Level 70 Barbarian Beastlord