Main Menu

2 Computers Vs 1

Started by Phinny, January 28, 2006, 10:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phinny

I wanted to get opinions from people who have actually used two computers for boxing.  I am getting a new higher end box which should be able to handle 2 accounts running at the same time and am trying to figure out what to do for a third toon.  Right now I am using 70 BST as my main only 7.5k HP/Mana unbuffed 1400 AC and a druid that is still under construction LVlL 66 with about 3500 hp/ 5500 Mana unbuffed.  So my dilemma is wether to go with a Knight probably a pally for my third toon or if the dreaded pet push would make it signifigantly easier to play a nuker either a mage or wizzy.  I am hoping to be able to box MPG and RSS in the near future.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Phinny

Moonchaser

If you are looking for a tank, go with an SK...same tankability as Pally, plus FD/snare pulls...

Personally I run 6 toons on 3 computers, key is to remember it takes about 512MB ram per toon on a PC..if you are looking for a DPS go wizard

ebric

I think moon gave a great answer.

I do a cleric Wiz Beast  FYI

Hinthi

I'd got Mag for malos, pet toys and CoH.  Plus they have pretty good DPS.  You already have ports covered with the druid so you are good in that area.  If I add an other toon to my group it will be a mage.  The hard the mobs are the more important it becomes, in my mind, to get that slow to stick and then after that to have spells land for DPS to get it down.
Luclin
Cantus Fidelis
Vanquisher Jearom
Wildblood Hinthi
Prelate Claimon
Grand Arcanist Xerksen

Khauruk

You'll need some pretty righteous gear to be boxing MPG/RSS w/ a druid as healer.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Taiglin

Remember to count another 512MB of ram for the OS as well; assuming XP

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

Utqnia

You dont mention your means of getting gear for these characters.

If you are not in a guild that outfits or allows alts, your best case would be some tank in all DON cultural with augs.  That is some serious plats.  You can try to farm DON Creators I suppose for scales.

I think the druid could keep up with heals, however you will need a full spellbook and 250+ AA's.  This is very very very far from level 66.

With your current gear, or really anything close, I dont see you ever tanking RSS, so you will have to have a plate class.  You could possibly tank in MPG but it doesnt seem feasible.  Your DPS will be too low, any mobs that gate or CH will have to drain their mana pool for you to kill them.

I think you need to figure out where you want to go, if RSS/MPG is the goal, you need a plate class.  If you are ok with WOS, DON you could do that with your beastie, in this case add a mage/wiz.

Good luck with whatever you choose, let us know how things work out.

** EDIT ** I just reread this and I didnt mean to sound so negative lol.

Phinny

As far as gear goes, I do expect to be upgrading over time I am in a guild currently in Tacvi and moving twords anguish.  I plan on getting the druid leveled to 70 and geared up and obviously the 3rd toon as well.  I have been leaning towards a tank but wanted opinions of people who had done it especially as to push with a BST and a Tank on two boxes clicking over to druid for heals probably on same box as BST.

For the box, I will have 2 gigs RAM so should be OK with 2 toons on it.  Used to run 2 toons on this Machine with 512 ram but gave up because of lag etc.

Sounds like a tank is the way to go.

Any more input is appreciated as I am still 2-3 weeks away from getting the new box and working on leveling my new toon.

Phinny

Chickennuggets

Also consider your graphics card for the box machine.  I used to run 2 accounts on one machine, but the graphics card ended up being the bottle neck as to which zones I could play in reliably, especially if one is going to be healer... a bad lag spike in your ui could have major bad repercussions.
Chickennugets  http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1226640
Lvl 70 Beastlord
Steel and Honor
Saryn server

gpofcore

I use 2 computers with 3 accounts, largest comp has only 1 gig ram and I have no problems but only run in 600x800 graphics mode. For serious work I always put the cleric solo on the second computer for mo better healing. The cleric keeps the tank targeted so u always know when to hit the c-heal even when switching between accounts on the first comp. I use AutoHotkey an open-source program that allows a one key hit to switch between accounts instead of alt-tab keying.

I am switching to a SK on the third account which also has a mage and shaman, SK currently 62. Pacify type spells got busted but not fully nerfed in the post 65 game and sk's gonna be the best pullers now. That otherwise useless pet makes a great pet puller with a conviction on it plus the fd in a pinch. DPS takes a big hit with the SK but I enjoy playing him.

Edit: AutoHotkey didn't work well with Win98 SE but did with XP. My main is a BL.

Khauruk

If the beastlord is going to be in Tacvi gear, he should be able to readily tank MPG with a druid for healer.  Might need to spam some quick heals on nameds, but should be easy going.  I can't say for RSS - that place can get crazy quickly, and BSTs can't mitigate damage spikes at any point in the game.

Right now, I'm at 11.6k (selfbuffs plus conviction, 12.4 raid buffed w/ Brell's), 60 avoidance, and I can tank in RSS pretty decently.  It takes continuous CHeals, but I don't die often.  You should be able to get 14k w/ maxed avoidance, and some good %age of shielding in Tacvi, which *might* be sufficient for a druid healer.  If you don't want to raise up 2 more characters, I'd raise up a cleric, and max the dps AAs for the druid.  Otherwise make a BST/Mage/Cleric trio.  My favorite - tho you have none of hte toons now - for higher geared characters is Monk/Cleric/wizard.

Anyways, with that level of gear, you definitely don't need a plate class to tank in those zones.  But, if it's going to be a beastlord, I'd go w/ cleric anyways.
TURNCOAT!!!!!