Main Menu

3Boxing ~ Same Computer

Started by Umok, August 04, 2004, 02:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Umok

If there is another thread on this, feel free to link I couldn't find it.

I two box all the time on the same computer, and even run with most options on including sound.  I am curious as to how much harder it is to 3 box using EQW on your computer, is it possible?

I know this question is dependent on system hardware and resources, I am currently running a 3.1Ghz, 1G DDR, GForce 5900XT.   Has anyone tried to 3 box on same computer with EQW or does 3 accounts put you over the threshold of doability?

Thanks for input.

Zashir Swiftpaw

Your setup is close to mine.  EQ, using minimal models and settings, uses about 200k per instance and 64mb of video ram.  If you use full on models, you're talking about 500Mb per instance (I've not checked video ram for that configuration).

You're not really bound by CPU speed, but memory is a real issue unless you use low-end settings.

I routinely run 4 instances with my system (Nvidia 5950 Ultra is the only difference).  Lag is tolerable, and zoning is slooooooow.  You can increase zoning speed by putting EQ instances on separate hard drives.  3 instances is much better for lag, but still slow on zoning.

Sovek

There is now another option for multi-boxing, WinEQ.  It integrates with EQPlayNice and is very, very superior to EQW in my experiences.  I can run 4 instances easily enough, though performance isn't flawless.  3 is no problem at all though, and I regularly do it and don't even notice I'm multiboxing.   My system isn't high end either, only an Athlon XP 2800+ with 1 GB of RAM and a Radeon 9600 PRO video card.

http://www.lavishsoft.com/ is where you can get it.
Crazyeyes Changemynameplx, 65 Beastlord
Sovek Celith`ar, 65 Necromancer
Numerous Toons - Click for Magelos -/- All Toons are on Xegony