Main Menu

3-4 Boxing OoW

Started by darury, January 24, 2005, 02:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darury

I've been 3 boxing for a long while and recently added a mage to my crew, but my biggest problem is the lack of ability to multi-box in OoW at all.

Basic Configuration:

Machine 1 - 2 or 3 sessions using Premium WinEQ

2.8GHz HT P4
1.5 GB RAM
GeForce 5500 256MB Video Card

Machine 2 - Single Session

2.0 P4
1.0 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder 128MB

I'm able to run just fine and dandy anywhere including PoP and GoD until I go anywhere in OoW.  I just ported myself to Bloodfields the other and it took about 5 minutes to simply camp the druid back out.  I could barely get any reponse from the screen.

I'd really like to avoid adding another box since my office is crowded as it is.  I'm wondering if bumping up the video card on the primary machine would help much?    Maybe swtich the 2 existing cards around?  At some point I'll probably add a 3rd machine via KVM and use a USB Nostromo for hotkeys, but for the time being is OoW off-limits?

Any suggestions are more than welcome.
The Action Figure Army
Darsacat 70 Beastlord -- Darury 70 Cleric --  Nulyen 70 Druid -- Mjah 70 Magician -- Jumlum 70 Bard

Rhajah

Hmm that's interesting.  I 3 box in OOW a lot, but I use different machines.  Now granted, I do notice a HUGE increase in lag in OOW (RCoD, Bloodfields, etc) over anywhere else I go on all of these machines.  The interesting part is that my machines are significantly slower than yours, and even with the lag, they are quite playable and I definitely don't have 5 minutes camping or zoning.  My machines are a 1.7 ghz box with 512MB Ram and 256 ATI 9800 video card, a 1 ghz box with 512MB Ram and 64 MB video card, and believe it or not, a P3 866mhz system with 384MB Ram (crazy I know) and 32 MB video card.  I honestly didnt expect the latter system to even load EQ in Freeport, much less RCoD, but it does.  It's not fast, but it works well enough to box a cleric on and move her around - if i keep all graphic options way low. 

Honestly, I'm not sure video would be the problem.  I will say however that I've tried 2 boxing OOW on 1 computer at work (a system similar to yours) and it's nearly impossible.  IT's smooth as silk in PoFire, but OOW is just horrid and sometimes even results in bluescreens of death.

Not sure it helped - but just some feedback.

darury

Thanks Rhajah.  I suspect I'm going to have to breakdown and add at least a 3rd machine.

The benefit of course will be that I can use a USB Nostromo for commands so it will be one less flipping thru screens to add DPS.

Well, I guess this weekend I start shopping for a 1.5GHz machine or so. 

The Action Figure Army
Darsacat 70 Beastlord -- Darury 70 Cleric --  Nulyen 70 Druid -- Mjah 70 Magician -- Jumlum 70 Bard

Rhajah

What's the USB Nostromo?  Could you elaborate please?  I assume it's a controller of course, but curious how it might help me in my setup with 3 machines.

Thanks. :)

Hereki

I'd link you to www.belkin.com, but they have turned it into a Flash monstrosity.  Look for the n50 and n52, both are suitable.

These are programmable keypads, like a cross between a numeric keypad and a console controller.

Beestyall

OK, I went out to Belkin's site and looked through their manuals but I have a question.  Is there a way to make a key recycle?  I have a few spell skills I'd like to blast up on my druid, but would rather not just hold down the button all day. ;)

Bulge

Quote from: Beestyall on January 28, 2005, 10:33:46 PM
OK, I went out to Belkin's site and looked through their manuals but I have a question.  Is there a way to make a key recycle?  I have a few spell skills I'd like to blast up on my druid, but would rather not just hold down the button all day. ;)

Not sure if the Nostromo allows for repeating loops  but there are programs that do this. However the big difference here is that you are probably going to go AFK while your druid is doing this, since I do not think you are letting him do skill-ups while you use him as a box.    Since you are now  AFK *and* macroing you are on thin ice. Bannable ice. :)   

As long as you are at the keyboard while boxing 5 chars that have extensive buff and heal macro's you are on legal grounds. However, it's still a grey area, because some macro's can be *very* lengthy and you may not pay attention to that char at all while he is doing an extensive Buff-up macro. So is this AFK macroing?  Not in the strictest sense of the word.

So would it be legal if you were reading a book at your keyboard while your Druid is skilling up through a program that allows looping of macro's?
Mmmmmm.
Anyway, if you were ever to use such a program be sure to stay at your keyboard and check your chatwindow now and then.

"GM Silverstar sais to you: "Hiya, how's the fishing going? Are they biting?"
*silence*
*more silence*
/ban
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Hereki

There's a thumb wheel sort of button that can be set to repeat.  I don't use it.

darury

Quote from: Beestyall on January 28, 2005, 10:33:46 PM

I've got the Nostromo n52 and yes, it does support repeating macros.  I've got one set to do auto-foraging on my 2nd comp so I can keep my druid busy while I'm raiding with my main cleric.
The Action Figure Army

Beestyall

Good.  It'll make my study time (woooo Organic Chemistry) more productive! ;)

Thanks guys