Main Menu

3 boxing on the progression server

Started by Taiglin, May 26, 2006, 06:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiglin

I have toyed with the idea of spinning up some toons on the up coming server but haven't been able to settle on a 3 box mix. One thing that has really hit home is the fact that a Bst really does bring a few things to a box/small group table - ie slow + DPS tanking vs maybe the way a shammy can slow and take some hits. Another issue is I think of toons, especially the classes I play, in terms of their lvl 70 current abilities vs starting fresh and on a fresh server.

Anyway, would be interested in hearing what combos others might be thinking about  :-)

How gimp would a SK/Sham/Dru combo be? Was trying to find something that mixed tankability, travel, tracking, slows, heals, splitting.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

hokarz

friend of mine  and I was thinking of doing the same thing. We still are trying to figure out what would be the best combo at first. No beastlords until the Luclin is unlocked an no iksar until Kunark is unlocked.
Savage Lord Hokarz

Gunzak

I knew a 3 boxer who soloed, well 3 boxed, Hard DoD missions.  He had a Ranger, Cleric, Enchanter.  Ranger tanked and snared, Cleric healed and Enchanter slowed.  Now if you start over again you wont have the PoK so ports will be a big deal at the start but honestly how long do you think it will be until PoK is unlocked?  I would guess 3-6 months max.

If you go the SK, Shm, Dru route then you get tanking, fears, feign death, 2 healers, slows, ports, tracking, forage, damage shield and real nice dots.  Shaman also gets an ok pet later on and Druid can get bear pet but its pretty weak dps.  The issue will be you will have no complete heal till druid hits 58, even then its not huge and it assumes some expansions are unlocked, and you will have no mana regen.

If you go SK, Cleric, Enchanter then you get your tank, heals/buffs, and mana regen as well as slows but you lose ports and run speed.  The Cleric wont be huge dps unless you attack undead mobs but then there are several spots where undead are available.  Dont forget Kiticor after dark and Lower Guk undead side.

I considered it but then I saw I couldnt play my beast and said screw it I'll stay on FV.

Zathrix

I've been thinking of trying the progression server, two-box rather than three.  I'm currently playing with a cleric/warrior combo when I want a change from the beastlord and I sort of like that combo.  Certainly an enchanter added to the mix would make what was long considered the primary trinity in putting together a balanced group.  I'm sort of thinking, however, that if I do try the progression server I'll probably give a monk/druid combo a try.  Add a shammy to that mix and you could go far.
Savage Lord Zathrix Ebonclaws - 70 Beastlord
Proud Knight of Candiria Keep, Fennin Ro

Taiglin

Having had a monk main prior to my Bst (years ago now) I seem to recall the whole "which class to duo with" swinging toward shammy since they have slow. That said I don't remember life revolving around slow as much as it does today. In fact I would almost liken it to the Dru/Cleric debate we tend to have where many say go cleric for healing "at higher levels." For them it was go shammy for slow "at the higher levels." As always though play what you think will be fun. I think monks will go further tank wise then in the more recent past since they...FREN'd the class (reversed the nerf - I remember that on a LOT of monk sigs: FREN)

Will be interesting to see how the server goes /shrug

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord

Gatorr

Bst/dru/mage is the way to go.  This is the combo I use and there isn't much I can't do.  You will have an average tank,slows,good pet dps,heals,tracking,ports,decent nukes,couple dots, snare, CoH(when mastered its a never fail FD) to name a few.

Also this combo is easy to box, slow/start melee dps on mob, send pet malo on mage(if needed), snare and heal on druid, mix in a few nukes or dots and mob is dead soon enough.

Taiglin

Did you even read the thread or just unaware of the context of the question (though it has been brought up at least once w/in the thread itself).

Bulge

SK/Sham/Dr sure sounds nice. When I have to limit myself to a three-box, I can not really think of a better combo, though I do miss the burst- and sustained DPS in that trio: then again, it's hard to come up with a trio that has burst- and sustained DPS(think wizzies, mages, Monks, Rogues and Necro's that is not lacking some serious ability. That is why I always end up with more then 3 boxes. :(

I was thinking of goin pally/druid myself for a change but off course this duo misses Slow. I was thinking of throwing  in a Chanter as 3rd box so you have Slow and a few buffs though the mana-regen seems a bit wasted to me since there are no happy nukers in that combo. Therefore SK/Sham/Dr sounds better: more DPS since pets help a little, SK  has a bit more DPS then Pally, shammy has more DPS then Enc I think. I guess the Pally/Dr/Sha trio could work too, though you miss the FD ability and pet/pulling. I have always wondered how often I would actually use FD-pulling since it seems the sort of thing that I really do not have the patience for.  Pet-pulling however seems nice though there always the chance this gets nerfed.  Then again a Pally/Sha/Dr combo may have a bit too much healing power.

But I really miss classes like the Mage and Necro in these trios, I have grown too used to pushing the DPS button on my hydra's too much.  :|

Basically, I think you have a winner combo with that trio, with all the utility you need and ok DPS (not great).
Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.