Main Menu

The new "pet pull" method.

Started by Rarrum, October 07, 2006, 08:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rarrum

With TSS release completely killed our ability to split mobs in most places, which in turn killed our ability to solo in a number of places, I've been experimenting with a lot of other ways of splitting mobs.  I've found one now that works semi-reliably for me, though you have a lot less "warning" when something goes wrong that you would with our old method.  So far I've only tested it at widdlethorpe1 mission zone in... but it's worked pretty well there (3 tries so far, worked 100% of the time).

What you'll need:
A very fast system (raid0 harddrives, low latency broadband, ton of RAM (prolly 1.5GB+), very fast processor, fast vid card).
Fetter of Spirits.
Enough HP to tank every add that comes for a few seconds at least.
A zone line.

How it works:
Slow the mob you want to pull (helps with damage) and run to a zone line.
/pet attack the mob you want single, and wait for fetter to proc.
The instant it procs, zone out.
The instant you land in the other zone, zone back.
If you were fast enough, the mob will still be there.  You have to make it back before fetter wears (which is why a very fast system is needed).

Not as good as the old way... but even this situational method that discriminates against people with slower systems is better than nothing...

hokarz

sounds like the snare-pull method we used for 69.1. Ranger or druid snares a mob, if more than one come, they zone out and the snared mob goes back to it's spawn spot slowly and can be single pulled after the other mob(s) walk back.
Savage Lord Hokarz

Khauruk

Dual-weilding Anklesmasher and Sap Encrusted Branch while offtanking what you're looking for can help nicely.  Anklesmasher is a 3.something minute snare, and Sap Encrusted Branch (drop from Tunare) is the 12 minute long one.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Baerek

This seems like a variation on the old SK/necro pulling method. Snare the mob you want to kill, wait for mobs to run to you. Then FD. Wait for unsnared to reset. Old world mobs usually didn't run faster that fast, so they wouldn't walk back to spawn points if they were snared. Once the other mobs were reset, pop up and you should have a single. Monks used to use a similar method to this using the Bioluminesent Orb. But hey, I'm sure there are some situations where this method will really help out.

Khauruk

I was thinking of it more like wizard, druid, or ranger pulling, myself.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Baerek

Concept is the same. Snare, then clear agro. Only difference is monks, sks and necros can do it without zoning.

Rawrzor

Quote from: Khauruk on October 08, 2006, 01:15:02 AM
Dual-weilding Anklesmasher and Sap Encrusted Branch while offtanking what you're looking for can help nicely.  Anklesmasher is a 3.something minute snare, and Sap Encrusted Branch (drop from Tunare) is the 12 minute long one.

Is the Anklesmasher beastlord useable?  I was under the impression that it wasn't.
Rawrzor
72 Beastlord, Bristlebane Server
Co-Leader of Meiyo

Magelo | EQPlayers.com | Blog

Kanan

Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

kayisiss

Can't anyone with a snare do this?  Or even a weapon with snare proc?  I'm assuming thats all there really is too it.  So I think its more like a mob splitting technique then a pet pull.  Only viable reason its a pet pull is because the pet snares the mob. Otherwise with the snare procs suggested it could be done with out pet.

Just trying to clairfy this. I think lol

Rawrzor

Quote from: kayisiss on October 13, 2006, 12:14:48 AM
Can't anyone with a snare do this?  Or even a weapon with snare proc?  I'm assuming thats all there really is too it.  So I think its more like a mob splitting technique then a pet pull.  Only viable reason its a pet pull is because the pet snares the mob. Otherwise with the snare procs suggested it could be done with out pet.

Just trying to clairfy this. I think lol

Yes, you are correct that anyone with snare can do this.  It's just that for us, the most accessible snare we have is with Hobble/Fetter on our pet... so I suppose you could refer to it as "pet pulling."
Rawrzor
72 Beastlord, Bristlebane Server
Co-Leader of Meiyo

Magelo | EQPlayers.com | Blog

Khauruk

Quote from: Rawrzor on October 12, 2006, 08:52:00 PM
Is the Anklesmasher beastlord useable?  I was under the impression that it wasn't.

Sorry....I'm too used to seeing it monkey hands, that I just assumed it was Beastlord useable.  Made an ass out of me, I see :)
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Sarkaukar

Swollen Fungusbeast Gland, 10shot of snare, 4.9 minute snare at lvl 65.

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=28758

Drops in Fungus Grove from  a Chakta Fungusbeast or  Tiako

Or

Ball of Burlap Yarn, 4shot snare from Miranda's Dice quest in Stonebrunt Mountains.

Use the snares in conjunction with pet proc.

Several items with clicky root to assist in splits.

Crystalline Silk Net
Wooly Spider Silk Net