Main Menu

how do you people use your pets

Started by zudolord, November 11, 2004, 01:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zudolord

well do you sent him in and you go in and meele or vice versa and do you lose xp if your pet does all the work and if you help do you get full xp.

thx in advance

Tastian

It depends on your situation.  Different beastlords at different levels do things differently.  Even the same beastlord can change things up depending on the situation.

Always do atleast 1 point of dmg to the mob and the pet won't take exp.  

I tank as much as possible because well tanking my pet hits from behind and does more dmg that way.  Also if I'm tanking I'm also melee'n and that adds my melee/proc dmg in as well.  At certain points the pet does out tank you, but later on you far out tank your pet.  The key is figuring out what works best for you.  I know some beastlords that know pet-cleric'n would be more efficent for them, but it's not as fun so they hardly do it.  I know I slack sometimes and have my pet tank some mobs well I sit back playing caster because I'm busy doing other things hehe.

Jikaabx

I know I like to tank as much as possible, to keep my melee skills up to par.

Jzath

When chanter pulls more than one for whatever reason, I send pet in early and then I or the MT tank the one that reaches us.  Then the mob pet is on gets mezzed and then helps us.

I always try to tank after I reach a level, currently just hit 54 to get my skills up.  Once I max those skills, I don't worry about tanking.  I personally melee as much as possible while casting as much as possible.  Right now, my getting aggro is not a death wish with what I am currently fighting.

I know the time will come when I have to polish off the skills I learned as a necro to push the limit of doing damage without getting aggro.  However, I think it will be much harder since I don't have FD to bail my skinny butt out of the situation.

Heh, who knows, maybe by that time the beastlord aggro issues will be addressed.  Not holding my breath and am going to enjoy the ride.
Jzath, beastlord
70 bloodmoons
FV server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1215044

Sharrien

In some zones kitty can off-tank up to three dark blue adds, especially if you had the chance to equip him with mage armor and some nice hp buffs.  I like to use him to split the adds as they come in so they can be mezzed or rooted if I happen to be with a partner while I slow and tank the first target.  Other zones I'm left with nothing but a drifting cloud of tiger fuzz if I let my warder take on a mob by himself.  Just depends on where you are hunting.
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden
Maelin Starpyre

zudolord

ok thx and if your pet kills and gets the xp will he become better ?

Tastian

Aeluder

Quoteok thx and if your pet kills and gets the xp will he become better ?

Man... wouldn't that be nice? lvl 63 bst, lvl 65 pet hehe.
Aeluder Kensington
64 Beastlord
Communion of Souls
Xegony

JillieMT

As long as you do at least 1 point of damage, you get the full XP.

I use him in different ways, depending on the situation. Sometimes I melee beside him, sometimes I send him in first, and hop in later... sometimes I pull out and let him finish. There are lotsa factors, lol! That probably doesn't help you much, but it illustrates how much your own experience and style will develop as you play. You will learn what to do.  :D
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Nekokirei

Quote from: zudolordwell do you sent him in and you go in and meele or vice versa and do you lose xp if your pet does all the work and if you help do you get full xp.

thx in advance

Since the second question is clearly answered, I'll pass on that one. :)

On the first, the answers are pretty diverse -- but we're pretty diverse class even if overpowered. <-- tongue in cheek.

If I'm lazy I just pull a mob with Slow, and melee beside warder.  When I'm feeling spunky I position warder to Rogue position.  In Nurga duking it out with casters, I like to cast Slow and send in pet and time it so the spell  lands and warder hits around the same time.  My method to madness is to disrupt that first cast of whatever the mob is.  I then dose with some Malaria and hop in -- if possible turning mob so warder is working Rogue position.

If all are amicable, when I'm grouped I'll try to position myself and warder to Rogue position--finding Rogues on my server is well nigh impossible.   Kind keeps the whole push issue to a minimum as I use Spirit of Wind and lets me hammer out some DPS on the softer backside of a mob.

But, a lot depends on what it is I'm doing, mood, etc.

Oops, forgot to add, I'm not a huge pet cleric, but there are definitely times when it's an option -- getting "surprise" aggro while wandering a zone, or clearing an annoying named, or some such.  I read somewhere on the boards that if you're pet clericing a lot b/c you can't melee with warder than odds are you're fighting the wrong mobs.  I certainly concur that sentiment, but it's always nice to have that option.

Hope this helped some. =)
Predator Nekokirei
An Officer and
Feral Lady to
Prophets of War -- Stromm

zudolord

well today i have my first taste of tanking i go in and tank while my pet does all the dmg (i am trying to lvl my punch ) well i like this method because i can kill reds this way but  my pet does not take dmg how do i make my pet tank and i attack w/o the mob to turn around and attack me

Tastian

Mob will always turn and hit you.  Pets basically can't tank over PCs anymore, old, old change.  What you learn to do early on is balance your health, the pets, your mana, etc.  You can send pet and get slow to land, then go in and melee until you lose some life and then back up and pet takes back over tanking well you med/heal/bind wound/etc.  Pet usually has enough aggro to let you back right out unless you are super low on life, but at times with certain gear you can out aggro your pet.

Growls

Speaking of balancing health, I was going to PoK stone in the Feerott after leaving the Rathe Mts when a wandering Guard Hurd aggroed me.  He chased me all the way to the PoK stone.  I'm a 35 beast.  Pet and I both had temp so I figured I would try him.  I had heard he was resistant to spells and quite hard to kill.  Drowsy stuck and I started 2hbing him down.  Pet proc stuck everytime and my 34 ice spear too.  I backed out at 30% and pet took over.  Pet clericed till he Death walked and went in to finish him.  Now that was how I balanced health with my pet on a red mob heh heh.

Stingite

One thing that might be good to mention here is that if you're fighting a casting mob (especially ones that like to heal themselves), melee side by side with your warder and use the push to help interrupt casting (and push away from the walls); otherwise, pet in rogue position is usually the way to go.

seizelia

im a pretty well equipped beast now thanks to many hours of raiding (raid buffed hp 11.4k+) so i tank the hub camp in mpg quite often .  In normal group situations of any type if we are holding a camp i try and position my pet to help keep the mob away from the clerics and out of the wall and always behind the mob .  This seems to not only increase pet dps , but also mine when i am tanking and the pet bashes and stuns from behind more often than when we are on the front of the mob together