Main Menu

Wolf pets

Started by Mazame, March 09, 2012, 05:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mazame

I believe I read some where but can't find it but people where posting about no longer using wolf pets.so I just wanted to find out for sure.

Are Wolf pets still worth casting ?

If so what version do you use?

Yahnoa's Feralgia Rk. II

1: Add Effect: Yahnoa's Call II
2: Add Effect: Yahnoa's Growl II

1724 mana / Cast time 3

VS

Growl of the Lion II

1: Increase All Skills Damage Modifier by 20%
6: Increase Hitpoints v2 by 467 per tick
7: Increase Max Hitpoints by 3781

10 mana / Cast Time insta

And

Scream at the Moon Rk. II

1: 90% Chance to trigger: Scream at the Moon Call II
2: 10% Chance to trigger: Screaming at the Moon
3: Decrease Hitpoints by 1

1084 Mana / Cast Time 3.

I understand the buff of hp / hp regen / 20% damage is what  key to these spells. but are the wolf pets them self effective?  after all you can get the 20% damage for 10 mana insta cast so the higher cost to cast the wolf and spend a cast time of 3 vs just using nukes I feel is a waste.  would you not get more DPS from just nuking? in the past the wolf were nice because we didn't have our fast cool down on the nukes we have today. but today they are just a melee dot and the high cast time makes then non effective. You also need to wait untill the mob is in camp to cast them so they don't run out and slow the mob down on inc or die before they do thier full damage. where with growl you can just cast on INC no problem and be ready to go.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  and if you do still usethe wolfs please explain what makes them worth the mana / cast time over a nuke.

Thanks

Nimbin

I believe Growl of the Lion II is 1367 mana, I think you are showing the autorecourse effect.  (good thing they both have the same name!)

Growl of the Lion Rk. II  Detail | History | Stacking | Raw Data 

Slot Description
1:  Increase All Skills Damage Modifier by 20% 
2:  Add effect: Growl of the Lion II (this is the 10 mana recourse)
6:  Increase Hitpoints v2 by 467 per tick
7:  Increase Max Hitpoints by 3781 

Anyway I really never use the growl spell on its own and you were asking about pets.  With spell haste and such I believe the cast time for Yahnoa's is close to 1.5, same with Scream at the Moon.  With all pet AA's the werewolf pet does some decent damage, also it's unresistable damage, nukes can be resisted. 

With my spell casting cycle I usually follow this run: (this is for group, lesson burn, or non-dotting kills)

1. Yahnoa
2. Frozen Cyanin
3. Bales Malestrom
4. Frozen Cyanin
5. Rotsils Bite
6. Frozne Cyanin
7. Frostrift Lance 
8. Frozen Cyanin (maybe Bales if up)
9. Scream at the Moon
10. Frozen Cyan
11. Bales

At this point depending on fizzles and interrupts, at cast 7 and later the werewolf pet spell may have refreshed, so you can start to cycle it in again, provided the mob will be alive long enough to warrant a 2nd cast or I go right back into Bales Malestrom casting earlier.  I can usually get to a point where all the nukes are grey-ed out leaving room for a werewof or dot cast, so I definitely use them.

Typically it's not worth to cast the werewolf pet during a burn cycle of Savage Spirit or Beastial Alignmnet, you loose too much melee dps that can't be made up by the werewolf pet.

I don't know if werewolf pet is more mana efficient damage over a long period, that would be an interesting parse, since you can focus nukes and receive crit damage.  I don't think you can twincast the werewolf pet either.  But it's not a bad spell to use with Forceful Rejuvination AA.  I sometimes use the werewolf pet to split  3 or mobs in combination with FD and pet fade, hardly a standard use, but occasionally it works.  Getting back to back 4 pet swarms is also just fun.

Unless there is a reason not to have swarm pets, I never really encountered a time to just cast Growl on myself, if you are waiting to engage and want the heal over time and hp increase, just target yourself and cast Yahnoa, you get the Growl recourse effect without the werewolf pet. 

Nusa

I load Yanoa's and Scream...I never load Growl. I use Yanoa's whenever Growl is in risk of fading and Scream when it isn't...that's the mana-efficient way to use the werewolf pets, since the Growl portion of Yanoa lasts much longer than the pet portion. All three spells have the same cast time (1.5) after spell haste is applied, so the combined spell is obviously more time-efficient.

As for the rest of your argument, my feeling is that they're worthwhile since it's stacked damage that lasts for over 20 seconds/cast, overlapping the previous cast by a few seconds. I also think it's also more mana-efficient damage than nukes, especially at the start of a fight when I'm holding back on some nukes to avoid stealing aggro. Of course mana-efficiency only matters on longer fights anyway.

Not that I've actually parsed it. If you do, variables that come to mind are:

AA lines that extend pet duration
    Fact you get quadruple pet damage 10% of the time (12% at rank 3)
    Spell resistance of the mob(s) you're fighting
    Melee resistance of the mob(s) you're fighting
    Low-aggro pet DPS vs high-aggro nukes
    The value of the growl portion of the spell

Orbus1

I agree with Nimbin, the cast line up shown is pretty close to what I use also and I haven't seen any reason not to use the werewolf.