Main Menu

OOW Slow

Started by Graace, July 03, 2004, 03:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fionnah

I always (and I mean ALWAYS) pre-slow mobs from VT to EPs, bosses or otherwise.

If I get summoned you know what I do?  /disc prot

For some odd reason when I'm sitting at 7.2khp (not the best, still have some crap gear w/0hp on it) a mob hitting me for 400-500 (any mob that does ~2k/hit normally) just doesn't phase me much, even if he's quadding.  I usually get off 2-3 slow attempts before he can kill me and the Druids are usually watching me because this is our standard.  Once my slow sticks I just let the warriors taunt off me.

I know what some of you are thinking:  But the Shaman is just going to slow over top of me... well, you cast slow on a mob 3 times, let the warrior taunt the mob off you and who is gonna get summoned other than a chain nuking Wizzy?  Nobody, your Warrior now has SOLID aggro, not even the Necros are gonna take that aggro from him without actually trying.

As soon as I decided to chain aggro on named mobs, our warrior aggro control issues completely disappeared.  Even if I get turned into a grease spot, they usually taunted over top of 2 or 3 slows before I got splatted (sometimes we don't have a shammy and I have to try for a 4th or 5th slow before one sticks and the chanters are wussies).
Fionnah Shrekswife
66th Level Beastlady and her Valiant Steed, Donkey.
Final Destiny
Ayonae Ro

Eatbugs

QuoteI always (and I mean ALWAYS) pre-slow mobs from VT to EPs, bosses or otherwise.

Don't think preslowing is the issue - I'm pretty sure most raiding BSTs do that.  (Or at least, I know I'm a preslowing addict. :P)

Being the ONLY slower on raid mobs is something else.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Fionnah

QuoteBeing the ONLY slower on raid mobs is something else.

I've been there before.  Usually when the Chanters are doing CC duty and our Shamen are offline (nobody wants to be a Shammy nowadays).  Either way though, the only thing it changes is the chain timer for our healers and even then only by a small amount.

I might as well be the slower on most raids though, the Shammys are such a gang of wusses that they don't hit slow until the mob is at 75% anyway... by that time the mob is under control, the chain is comfortable with the heal speed, etc...  I miss the days when Shamen tried to compete with BSTs on who would stick a slow first.
Fionnah Shrekswife
Final Destiny
Ayonae Ro

Mojoejojo

Quote from: a_moss_snake_001We arent designed to slow big raid mobs, thats a shaman area and we REALLY dont want to piss them off anymore than they are already. A slow with a minor resist modifier (say -50 to -75) I would like to see though.

As a shaman, with over 4 years playing him, Shamans have wanted a slow with a resist mod for years.  One of the problems, especially in high level, GoD content, we have to malos to allow a reasonable chance to slow.  By the time all this is done, the mob is frequently at 20-50% life, hardly worth the mana.  Things like this, are the reason so many shamans have either given up, or changed to more effective classes.  To the best of my knowledge, OoW hasnt addressed this problem even for shammys.

Its not that we're pissed off, its more that we feel completely left behind by the content.  I wonder how many BLs, are former shamans, that gave up the class for a more effective one.

Mojoejojo
66 shaman
Torv

(edited to add sig block)
Mojoejojo
67 Shaman
Torvonillous

Mojoejojo

Quote from: Fionnah
QuoteBeing the ONLY slower on raid mobs is something else.

I've been there before.  Usually when the Chanters are doing CC duty and our Shamen are offline (nobody wants to be a Shammy nowadays).  Either way though, the only thing it changes is the chain timer for our healers and even then only by a small amount.

I might as well be the slower on most raids though, the Shammys are such a gang of wusses that they don't hit slow until the mob is at 75% anyway... by that time the mob is under control, the chain is comfortable with the heal speed, etc...  I miss the days when Shamen tried to compete with BSTs on who would stick a slow first.

It is frequently the case, that no one WANTS shamans now adays, not that no one wants to BE a shaman.

As for shamans not slowing till 75%, I usually malos on incoming, before the mob reaches camp, and immediately slow after that.  By the time slow hits, (and hopefully sticks), the mob is often at 75%, or in a high DPS group, it can be well below 50%.  In GoD, (and likely OoW, tho I havnt gone in there yet), a shaman attempting slowing on incoming, is a recipe for a dead shaman, pingponging agro, and ultimately, an unslowed mob takeing out my group.

Mojoejojo
66 Shaman
Torv
Mojoejojo
67 Shaman
Torvonillous

Gudaman

QuoteI wonder how many BLs, are former shamans, that gave up the class for a more effective one.

Here !

Fionnah

I'll be honest... I think that Shamen have been given the raw end of the deal.

I have no problem with our getting new slows that are different from Shamen, but Shamen should get something really special, like a slow that halves mitigation (partially effective becomes mostly, mostly becomes unmitigated) or a *very* hard to get slow that negates all mitigation, but is only 60% or something like that.

There should be different types of slows so that, while nobody wants to memorize 5 of the same spell... tell it to Clerics, who memorize 4 heals commonly (CH, celestial - Heal over time, ethereal - group and quick).  Shamen should have an 80% slow that is highly resistable and they should have slows that have resist modifiers, but aren't as high % slow, so they can stick something at one level on inc, malo and then stick a higher % slow.  Particularly on big named mobs.

That doesn't change the fact that BSTs need something a bit more for those mobs that are highly resistant, though level will fix some of that.
Fionnah Shrekswife
Final Destiny
Ayonae Ro

TerjynPovar

I think shaman had the raw end of the deal...until OoW.

With OoW their buffs now are firmly ahead of Beastlords, where they always should have been.  And, as an aside, always were except for a very limited segment of the highest end of the game in late PoP/GoD.

Shaman:  Better buffs, better debuffs, better healing, better CC, better self mana regen, better soloing tough monsters.
Beastlord:  Better group mana regen, better DPS, better tanking, better versatility.

I'm sure that a load of shaman will come here and tell me that somehow the Beastlord is still godlike overpowered compared to the shaman, which was a dubious claim at best in PoP/GoD, and got quite a bit weaker with the spell lineup from OoW.
Terjyn, Retired Feral Lord on the Povar Server

Dummkopf

QuoteI always (and I mean ALWAYS) pre-slow mobs from VT to EPs, bosses or otherwise.

I used to do that as well, but with the common slow stick drops in potime and the high damage/high resist of mobs in GoD i stopped it. Add to that the GoD slow for shamans and you never need a preslow bst anymore. In fact its a recipe for a wipe in zones like uqua where you get adds on deaths since beastlords tend to die rather fast if they pull aggro of tanks with preslowing.

cougerofeq

Quote from: TerjynPovarI think shaman had the raw end of the deal...until OoW.

With OoW their buffs now are firmly ahead of Beastlords, where they always should have been.  And, as an aside, always were except for a very limited segment of the highest end of the game in late PoP/GoD.

Shaman:  Better buffs, better debuffs, better healing, better CC, better self mana regen, better soloing tough monsters.
Beastlord:  Better group mana regen, better DPS, better tanking, better versatility.

I'm sure that a load of shaman will come here and tell me that somehow the Beastlord is still godlike overpowered compared to the shaman, which was a dubious claim at best in PoP/GoD, and got quite a bit weaker with the spell lineup from OoW.

and groups have taken notice - had a group today who wanted to hold out for someone with a better slow since our hasnt changed or had a resist mod added....