Main Menu

Rules are not for breaking

Started by mac173, May 18, 2004, 12:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac173

I have been involved in this site from the beginning. I followed the community of people I had come to enjoy talking with on the boards, and the community of Beastlords who had done so much to help me.

I have a responce to Kash for a thread that he locked in this Rants forum, and I have every expectation it will be either locked, or deleted.

Quote from: Kashmiir BattlekatKey things to remember here is this:

1:-I am the Master of my own Universe and All Powerful Lord of my Domain.
2:-I do not need to be politically correct.
3:-I do not need to please anyone but myself.
4:-I own these boards and they are "FREE" to you.
5:-My boards are ad free and will stay that way.
6:-I ask almost nothing from you except be somewhat polite.
7:-You do not 'have' to be here. You can go. I do not care.
8:-I can make my own rules up when I please. (Note #1)

Perhaps some folks are taking for granted that which *I* supply to *you* for *free*. Dont lose site of this.

1) So was OAGA, but you left that site and started this one because he proved it, and did as he wanted.
2)That has never been an issue.
3)You will be a very lonely person in life, but thats your problem.
4)I take great umbrige to that statement. When we decided to leave the other boards, there was a scramble to find a new home. I, and many others offered help in the form of service, and or money, from the beginning. You founded this site, and steadfastly REFUSED any financial help, stating that the hosting was being provided for free. There was an open ended offer to donate to the costs (including compensation for your time and trouble, although you stated that you were doing all the work AT WORK) and any other expenses. I detest someone who refuses to take money, then holds that over your head. That is being a hypocrite. You can easily have the costs covered by donations. If you refuse the money, the idea that "they are "FREE" to you." is meaningless. You can take that and stick it.
5)Somehow, it does not mean much. You also say in your sig, you will sell the site for the right amount of money. And that you can do as you please. You have lied about what you would do in other things, such as not deleting posts, and giving 3 days notice before rules take effect, so why would anyone beleave you? If you decide to put ads on this site, you will, because you are the all powerfull overlord, like it or leave it.
6)You ask one other thing. Submit to your will, and every whim.
7)Then I will not expect any responce from you, other than locking and or deleting this thread.
8)Wow, you seemed to think that was one of the things wrong at the other site.

As to that last comment, see responce #4.

The entire idea behind the forming of this site was the objections of many of the community over the sale of the .com site to Yantis without any discussion with the community. I fail to see any difference in your attitude, Kash. You will do as you please, when you please. I just will not accept that any more than I did at the other site. Quite honestly, OAGA was much more mature and responcible in his administration of the site. I always felt I could critisize and or question him, without the threat of his anger or retribution. That is not true for you. He also follows his own rules, and shows integrity in his decisions.
Quote7:-You do not 'have' to be here. You can go. I do not care.

Kk.

JillieMT

Drama.

Kash goes through the trouble to make the boards, he is free to do whatever the hell he pleases. THEY ARE HIS BOARDS! WE ARE GUESTS!

Everyone had a problem with the old boards because they were SOLD OUT! Not because of any rules.

I have no idea whatsoever why you think you have the moral highground.

Luckily you are free to leave.
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Skanda

Wasn't going to bother responding until I read this last paragraph.

Quote from: mac173You will do as you please, when you please. I just will not accept that any more than I did at the other site.

Kash banned a spammer and then showed character by reinstating him and admitting to the forum that he may have acted a bit rashly. I find that a pretty good indicator of character. Let's face it he is the admin and it is his job to maintain these forums which includes stopping spam, which he did.

QuoteQuite honestly, OAGA was much more mature and responcible in his administration of the site. I always felt I could critisize and or question him, without the threat of his anger or retribution. That is not true for you. He also follows his own rules, and shows integrity in his decisions.

I haven't seen anything that would indicate that Kash is unwilling to accept criticism. He seemed to accept it well on that thread he just locked and didn't go banning everyone that told him he was wrong. I'd have to disagree about OAGA after watching the fallout in the days after the sale of the old site. Mass banning and deletion of any mention of an alternative site are not very mature.

Feel free to go where you want and disagree with Kash but I for one was getting annoyed by the spam before he took care of that issue. Thumbs up to him.

Skrunch

Don't let the [] hit you in the (_*_) on the way out.

Kash dedicates his time to running this board in the style that he feels best fits the needs.  Unless you forget, you are the one that decided to come here, and you can be the one to crawl back to that other place with all the sellout crybabys and talk about phat l33t shiznit.  If you feel that you can do a better job yourself, I challange you to go do it.  Until then, read more and post less.  Your opinions are just that, opinions.  Much like what I have written down here is my opinion.  People will either read it and agree or disagree.  Most will probably just wonder wtf I am talking about.

Bottom line, if the owner of a site decides it is necessary to impliment and inforce rules.  Take it or leave it.

Bryc

No one left the other site because OAGA was was heavy-handed. They left the site because it was sold to Yantis, EULA-breaker.

You really can't complain to the owner of a board how he runs HIS board. The PoN boards actually *will* ban you on a whim. The Necro boards need to ban people way more often. In either case, that's their choice.

On the other hand, if the mod pisses you off, it's your right to leave in a hurry. It's not a big political issue though.
Bryc ~ 65 Feral Lord of Fennin Ro
Barid ~ 59 Templar
Bric ~ 60 Heirophant (ret.)

Rhaynne

Kash is sarcastic.  If you haven't figured that out by now, then let me say it again... Kash is sarcastic.

From before my time as a mod, he was always willing to discuss any policy change on the board in an open manner with everyone... ever notice the crapton of polls he used to post every time he had an idea?

Now from the mod perspective, I can tell you that anytime anyone disagrees with anything another mod does, Kash included, it is brought up and discussed and dealt with.  We have a very fair and very honest mod team here and everyone here should know by now that I'd call it the other way if I saw it, but I don't.

Jaeren

I am also sarcastic at times and people have accused me of being quick to act. Sometimes though I have felt it was the proper thing to do.  Other times, I've been confronted in public or in PM and have changed my mind, ie: Bulge's thread which i locked then after getting pm's from him, editted my msg and explained my reason more, which seemed to explain things and make him happy again.

That is my goal personally (and i believe the other admins & mods as well but I won't speak for them, they are capable of speakign their own minds :)), to make the majority of the community happy to be here and happy with the choices made. There is absolutely no way we can make everyone happy, either they just dont want to understand or they are just here to make problems or many other possible reasons. We just have to try our best to keep things running smoothly and the majority of the people satisfied with how we do things, there is no way to keep absolutely everyone happy, everyone has their own viewpoint & thoughts on issues.

I'm sorry you feel you have to go, but in my eyes, this is kind of grandstanding to try and get Kash to bend to your will. If he did that, how many others would take advantage or think bad of him and leave then?

Quite honestly, OAGA was much more mature and responcible in his administration of the site. I always felt I could critisize and or question him, without the threat of his anger or retribution. That is not true for you. He also follows his own rules, and shows integrity in his decisions.

That statement just boggles my mind. You honestly believe that someone that tries his hardest for the community to keep things runnign smoothly, that provided an alternative, that DOESN'T delete or redirect links to the other class forums, etc is better than a place owned by Yantis/IGE which redirects links here, deletes posts telling people how to get there, sticks pages in between reloads to promote their business, sold out under the user AND moderator withoutadvance knowledge?

To this day, in my opinion, it is still VERY suspect that two class sites sold out at the same time to the same company. Just seems very odd that Oaga would be going through the problems and need to sell exactly as the offer was given to two different places (at least, 2 that took it anyway). Thats just my probably over worked brain at work, maybe it was just very good timing for Oaga, no one will really know.

You are free to make up your mind which site (or none even) you wish to go to, but I find it hard personally to justify going there, even if I wasn't an admin here. I don't think we're evil and corrupt. Threads are locked, yes. When they are just running in circles or not providing any benefit except to cause problems either for us, or someone else. Some messages have been deleted over time perhaps, but very very few, most are left and just locked when their usefulness has been worn out. People can still check back to them as reference or whatever.

Anyway, just my thoughts, I'm probably rambling, Ijust got home from work a little bit ago. These are just my thoughts, dont hold anyone else to them, if you dont agree, that's fine. You don't agree and this is a discussion area, so thats the point of it. I can and have changed my mind on issues after talking about them and seeing different viewpoints.

Apparently you have made up your own mind as to your path. I hope you enjoy it. Maybe eventually you will even realize we aren't all that bad ;)

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

Kashmiir Battlekat

Lorathir

I tried to formulate a post that considered everyone's views. I imagined weighing up pertinant points made by all parties, carefully considering people's moral and obligational standpoints. I tried to estimate possible routes of actions of said parties, mindful of complex emotional reactions.

I came to a conclusion that should satisfy everyone involved.

Yer all *%&@ing loonies.

JillieMT

Quote from: LorathirI tried to formulate a post that considered everyone's views. I imagined weighing up pertinant points made by all parties, carefully considering people's moral and obligational standpoints. I tried to estimate possible routes of actions of said parties, mindful of complex emotional reactions.

I came to a conclusion that should satisfy everyone involved.

Yer all *%&@ing loonies.

Come... come Lorathir... join us...  :twisted:

Jaeren

/bows before Lorathir, leader of the loonies :P

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

mac173

Quote from: JaerenMaybe eventually you will even realize we aren't all that bad
I never meant to imply that the posters and members of the Den were bad. I must have expressed myself quite badly. I have disagreed with many of you, and you with me, but I never felt you were bad.

I also did not mean to imply that moderation on this site was done badly. I think it is done in moderation, as it should be.

Even with my disagreement with Kash, I recognise and laud his reinstatement of Rippertiger, and his polls of the membership on issues relating to the site.

My problem is with Kash, and Kash alone.
Quote3. No post deletions AT ALL. Any post deemed not in keeping with community building will at most be moved to a location that info can be retrieved if needed. Stressing never delete posts.
Quote from: JarenSome messages have been deleted over time perhaps, but very very few, most are left and just locked when their usefulness has been worn out. People can still check back to them as reference or whatever.
Quote from: Kashmiir BattlekatRippertiger has been banned.
IP's banned also.

All posts deleted.
5 or more posts of Rippertigers that were in the OOC section, and were deleted when he was banned. This was in obvious disreguard of the written rules posted on the site.
Quote9. Future additions of policies will be posted at least 3 days before people will begin being held to that policy.
QuoteLast edited by Kashmiir Battlekat on Thu May 13, 2004 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
QuotePosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:27 pm    Kashmiir Battlekat wrote:

10. We reserve our right to ban/suspend you without warning.

Under Rules and Regulations forum.
So, the rules apply to everyone except Kash. He edited the rules, and then immediatly used that as an excuse for banning Rippertiger. This was also well after he had banned him. The new rule was nothing but an excuse for what he did, and an obvious sign that even HE knew he was wrong if he needed to justify it with a new rule.
The stated rules and regulations are not just a bunch of words. It is an affirmation of the accepted behavior of both the members and the Mods and Administration. There is a trust in that. We trust that you will follow the rules, just as you expect us to. You violated that trust. I cannot accept that.

Quote from: Kashmiir BattlekatPerhaps some folks are taking for granted that which *I* supply to *you* for *free*. Dont lose site of this.
Maybe there is noone here anymore who remembers the days following the sale of the other site. In the scramble to find a new home, many of us offered to help pay for a new site. I was one of them. I had only $20 to send, with a late notice from the mortgage company in my hand, I was gonna send it anyhow. If it had been needed, I would send it today, although I am now in bankrupcy, and my house in forclosure. *You* supply this site for free because the company you work for *GAVE* you the hosting. *You* own the domain only. You even said your company allowed you to maintain the site while at work, so you are even being paid for the work. So what you are *providing* is not even yours. All the Hullabalu over the sale of the old site was over OAGA selling what many of us felt was not his to sell. You seem to feel the same way, Kash. This site is not yours, only the domain is. This is why I am leaving. For the exact same reason I left the other site.
You refused to take my money to help with the site, and now you use that as a reason I have to accept you as"Master of my own Universe and All Powerful Lord of my Domain. "

I do not.

The universal responce to my posts have been.....  good ridence.

So no one will be disappointed that this is my last post, unless it is deleted, of course.

B'bye.

Burrix

Guess Mac has a bad hairday and is disappointed with live itself

GBye
Burrix <Infectus> - Lvl 65 Beastlord on Valon Zek

JillieMT

I thought you quit coming here?

Kashmiir Battlekat

mac173,
You are losing sight of something my friend. This is not a democracy where we all sit around a campfire singing campfire girl songs and discuss our next days happenings and vote upon them.

I am not a Sony GM.
Im not your boss.
Im not your bestest friend in the whole world.
Im not a corperation.

This is a Dictatorship. I run the show. I own the show and I will do as I please when I please for any reason with or without "permission" from anyone.

I rule with a blacked iron fist of death and destruction and will crush anyone I feel is out of line.

This is MY home you play in. Not your home.

Does this perhaps clear things up in your head?