Main Menu

Stagnant

Started by Noxdowne Draggout, June 19, 2004, 06:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noxdowne Draggout

Where to go and what to do?

I started late in EQ (just after Velious) and I honestly do not have a clue as to where I want to be with EQ anymore.

I have reached a level of equipment that may seem like a great position for some, but I look at the 9k unbuffed beasts out there and wonder how long it would take to get to that level.

I have done the Excel DPS calculations and realized that I could max all DPS related AA's and still not equal somebody's plane of Time Paragon bot that looted a SoTA with no aa's and running barefisted offhand.

I need Xegony to get into Time and I am 8 monks and 2 beastlords down the list from ever seeing one of those loots.

I need FT so damn bad, but between raiding and RL I have a bitch of a time saving LDoN points to augment my armor.

Unless I devote hours more weekly into getting better gear I don;t see improving much.

I have seen every zone in the game.

What is the point?

Just being nostalgic I guess.

Sure was cool to clear the Orc 1 camp long ago.

Now THAT was an accomplishment.

Nox

Elrathin

QuoteWhere to go and what to do?

Depends solely on how much time you are willing to put in.

QuoteI have reached a level of equipment that may seem like a great position for some, but I look at the 9k unbuffed beasts out there and wonder how long it would take to get to that level.

My guild just hit EP about  late February.  I am sitting at around 5.3K unbuffed and think it is a great accomplishment.  I only recently cut back my playing time due to school and such.  

Don't worry about what other BL are doing.  I have seen BL that were lvl 22 when I was lvl 65 and now their in PoTime and beyond with far better gear.

QuoteI have done the Excel DPS calculations and realized that I could max all DPS related AA's and still not equal somebody's plane of Time Paragon bot that looted a SoTA with no aa's and running barefisted offhand.

Again, I wouldn't worry about it.  If your trying to play the game "Keep up with the Jones"  then your gonna lose every time, cause there is ALWAYS a guild that is doing more content than you (Unless of course your in the top guild for your server).

I  play because I enjoy my guild and I enjoy the content of the game still.  Not because of what other BL have and I don't

-Elrathin-
-65 Feral Lord-[/quote]

Lorathir

I think you need a totally different challenge - and a setting where everyone once again is a newbie. Something where the game mechanics is once again a mystery, where spoiler sites are thin on the ground and a world that once again makes you feel like you are an adventurer. Nobody knows much about the enviroment so anything learned has a big importance. You need to be surprised by stuff again.

Hang on until EQ2 and WoW and pick the one you think is the best. Don't look for the above in EQ1 Nox, it simply isn't there anymore. And that isn't a flame against EQ1, it's simply evolution and will happen to WoW and EQ2 too. The only way you'll get that Orc1 buzz back is with total ignorance of everything you know.

JillieMT

Well, lemme tell you how I get by...

One, I try to stay away from Rant sections, lol. Seriously: there are so many problems that I am sometimes unaware of, until I see it in a rant section somewhere. This is the Ignorance is Bliss rule. :)

Two, I try NEVER to look at other peoples' magelo. Especially people who are higher than me. I do not want to know how far behind I am. I am always happy with my gear, because I am not sure what is better most of the time. :)

Three, I try to look with pride at my OWN accomplishments. I did not ride anyone's coattails, and I know that I worked hard to manage everything that I tried to take on. I don't have my epic, but I want to earn it, and soloing it looks fun. :)

Four, I too realize that my time with EQ is drawing to a close, and I just don't worry about it. I consider myself a gamer, and I have a HUGE range of games that I enjoy. And there are so many MMORPG's coming, that surely at least ONE will be worthy of making me quit EQ for good, lol! But there are some things that I still look forward to here too. I still love LDoN's. I can't WAIT for solo LDoN's!

But, I haven't seen every zone as you have, so we are not completely alike... so what works for me may not work for you.
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Hrann

Perhaps it is time you started doing expeditions.  GoD can provide some really nice upgrades, even to elemental level people.

Also, I try to never have a time when I am not working on a quest.  WIth my play time, quests usually take 6 months or more, but even with your play time, doing a quest once in a while when yuo are bored can be fun.  Look them up at alla's or wherever.

Yuor complaint seems to be that you don't have the best equipment in the game.  To the majority of people playing EQ, this isn't a complaint - it is a reason to keep playing.  Undoubtedly you don't have the best of many things in the world; it will drive you crazy if you dwell on it.  I will echo what others have said - enjoy what you have gained.  If you don't, you doom yourself to unhappiness forever.

Finally, if the real problem is that you are not havnig fun - it may be time to put aside EQ and try something else with your leisure time.  You can still come back later on if you feel like it, but don't waste your leisure time with a game you do not even enjoy.

Scalewulf

I wouldn't put too much stock into trying to keep up with the jones's (as previously mentioned) either.  

I've seen a elemental and somewhat time geared bst get his a$$ handed to him in an arena against another bst that is not even fully ornate geared.  

It's rather comical to see people get caught up in the race to be "the number one bst on the server".  I've even seen people lay claim to this sort of "title" when they had never set foot in an arena against other high-end bst's to prove it.  

I've personally never gotten caught up in the rat-race and it's easy to be satisfied with my gear nowadays, since I remember feeling oh so uber when my 4 year old warrior had a wurmy and lammy.   :wink:  

It's all a matter of perspective.  

If you're looking for fun, go on a solo tear.  See what the toughest mob is that you can take solo.  Or get a group of bst's (or just an all pet group) and see what you guys can accomplish.  This is what I've done and it's a hella good time taking out targets that most people wouldn't touch without a proper tank, healer and CC.  

:D

Chackra

Quote from: HrannAlso, I try to never have a time when I am not working on a quest.  WIth my play time, quests usually take 6 months or more, but even with your play time, doing a quest once in a while when yuo are bored can be fun.  Look them up at alla's or wherever.

Can you give an example of what you're talking about?  How the heck can you work on a quest in your spare time?  You just go out and talk 12 people into waiting half a day for a spawn with you every once in a while?

Hrann

I'm talking about quests like the VP key, the HS master key, the shawl, the coldain ring, the spirit-wracked cords, etc.  There are many quests out there that a high end beast can do 90% of solo.  I never wait for a spawn, I run out and check em once in a while when I'm bored.

For the fights where you need help (the droga, DS ring from chardok quests can be done completely solo), over the course of months a time occurs when the mob is up and you have some people looking for something to do.  I do that part when those circumstances happen.  But there's plenty to do besides fighting big mobs in quests.

Rhaynne

QuoteIt's rather comical to see people get caught up in the race to be "the number one bst on the server". I've even seen people lay claim to this sort of "title" when they had never set foot in an arena against other high-end bst's to prove it.

One's ability to defeat another on PVP has little to no bearing on their ability to play a class.  All that says is that they're a good PVPer.

Lorathir

I met a guy last night I swear has to be the biggest "number one" on my server.

Incite

Quote from: Noxdowne DraggoutWhere to go and what to do?

Well what I did was start salsa classes.  

Seriously.  Take a step back.  If you're not having fun then why are you playing?  EQ became exceedingly achievement oriented and it's too easy to get caught up in that and forget that you should be playing for fun ... if it's not fun ... why play??
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=993776">http://www.border.plus.com/images/Incite1.jpg">

No bounce, no play.

Jkal_Shihar

QuoteSeriously. Take a step back. If you're not having fun then why are you playing? EQ became exceedingly achievement oriented and it's too easy to get caught up in that and forget that you should be playing for fun ... if it's not fun ... why play??

Exactly, this is why I left for awhile. Friends where persistant on wanting me back. So I told them-- I come back I play for fun and company. Dont expect me to drop something cause of a raid being called or anything on that nature.  
So now I play maybe a total of 10 to 15 hours a week. But I look for things to take that boredom away.
We all play to our own goals. Sometimes though that goal might be so high you burn yourself out too fast. Take it little by little and that same enjoyment might come back again.  :D
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

Kylaz

Quote from: Incite... if it's not fun ... why play??
Good question indeed... but quitting smoking and EQ the same month may be too much for a single troll.

I'm satisfied at the moment with an average 40% non-fun (ie LFG or waiting for raids to begin) downtime.
Kylaz - Feral Troll
Main Entry:lizĀ·ard
Etymology:Middle English liserd, from Middle French laisarde, from Latin lacerta (Date:14th century)
1 : any of a suborder (Lacertilia) of reptiles distinguished from the snakes by a fused inseparable lower jaw, a single temporal opening, external ears, and eyes with movable lids; broadly : any relatively long-bodied reptile (as a crocodile or dinosaur) with legs and tapering tail

Scalewulf

Quote from: Rhaynne
QuoteIt's rather comical to see people get caught up in the race to be "the number one bst on the server". I've even seen people lay claim to this sort of "title" when they had never set foot in an arena against other high-end bst's to prove it.

One's ability to defeat another on PVP has little to no bearing on their ability to play a class.  All that says is that they're a good PVPer.

Aye, neither does the ability to tag along on raids and gather as much hp/mana gear as possible.  

But I will put more stock in the arena than I would in someone's ability to gather gear through constant raiding.

Incite

Quote from: Kylaz
Quote from: Incite... if it's not fun ... why play??
Good question indeed... but quitting smoking and EQ the same month may be too much for a single troll.

I'm satisfied at the moment with an average 40% non-fun (ie LFG or waiting for raids to begin) downtime.

Ouch.

This is why I started multi-boxing.  

Having said that, this ole' ogre doing the soft shoe shuffle is more fun.  I've not even stepped on anyone's feet yet.   :D

Although I am still enjoying EQ at the moment, strangely.  It's very odd to think I've been playing this game for five years ... I've met girlfriends, friends who've become closer than my family to me, I have a godson because of EQ ... I don't regret it at all.  Except maybe not spending some of the time taking Spanish lessons.  :)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=993776">http://www.border.plus.com/images/Incite1.jpg">

No bounce, no play.