Main Menu

Nostromo SpeedPad n52- Big help or no?

Started by quarto, February 05, 2005, 09:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quarto

Im a 'casual' 2 boxer using 2 seperate computers. I mainly just box a few of my alts as my main is a wizard and I dont really have another character that will compliment him.

My main duo is a 44 necromancer and a 44 shaman. I just sit my shaman on a horse and have the hotkeys set up to /assist, dot and send pet with just a push of the button.  Pretty easy, and doesnt take much effort.

My question is: Would the Nostromo be a boon to my play? Eventually Ill be adding a third account (but not a third computer...yet), but I'll worry about that at another time. 
Does the Nostromo allow for more flexibility? Can I use it to make custom macros?  Is there another piece of hardware that works better?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Hereki

You can create macros for the Nostromo to do anything you can mouse or type on your computer.  You also aren't limited by length of the macro, and can set up limited repeats.  Don't get me wrong, it's not able to react to EQ's responses (it's not MacroQuest, thankfullly), but it's a lot more than just remapping your hot buttons.  There are various joystick shaped devices, and some joypad shaped ones, that do basically the same stuff.  The only item I am aware of that could be said to be better was the Microsoft Supreme Commander - and that stopped production, and I prefered the Nostromo anyway.

For two boxing, there's not a lot in it - I can use 2 x KVM almost as well as I can use one system normally plus a Nostromo, even if you set it up just to move, target, and hit hot buttons.  But add a thrid box and it starts to get a lot harder to decide where to put that third keyboard and mouse.

But then I usually just 2 box, and I only use the my Nostromo sometimes.

Bulge

Quote from: Hereki on February 06, 2005, 08:08:21 AM
The only item I am aware of that could be said to be better was the Microsoft Supreme Commander - and that stopped production, and I prefered the Nostromo anyway.

You may know I am a fan of the MIcrosoft Strategic Commanders, but I use these because Nostromo only had that "Claw" back in the day and that did not fit my needs. I still am very happy about the Commanders but in this regard I have a Question about the Nostromo 52: I understand you can get 4x the number of buttons by holding down a Shift key but what I could not really find out is which keys these "shift" keys are?  Or can you assign any key to be a "toggle" key? Basically what I  am asking is wether toggling with the Nostromo in order to get more then the 14 buttons is easy and intuitive. 
The key-setup and toggling them is very straightforward with the the Commanders. But they have in fact a lot of unused functionality since they were originally developed for RTS's.  I am also thinking of adding a 6th box and since Commanders are nor rather hard to come by I am thinking of trying one of the Nostromo's since they seem smaller also.

Do the buttons have the same touch as a keyboard button? (COmmander buttons have the touch of a joystick button). Also, can you program a macro in-game? The Commanders have a record button ingame and this is extremely usefull, I must say.

Thanks for any info. :)

Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Hereki

Oops!  s/supreme/strategic/ :).

OK, you have 10 buttons arranged 2x5; these feel like regular keyboard keys.  You can assign any of these to be shift keys; I think there are 4 shift states.  I have one key programmed to toggle between two states, and I don't use the rest.

There is also a D pad type rocker switch under a thumb (depends which handedness you are ), and a roll forward/back button that I also don't use, but was apparently popular with rangers.

I am not aware of any in-game macro creation capability, but then, as you can see, I only use a small part of what the device is capable of.

Bulge

Thanks for the reply. :)

If that is truly a toggle key, and not a key that you have to hold like in Alt-tab, then I could never use the pad. I would forget  which set of keys I would have activated and totally mess up. The Commander has 6 buttons on top and 3 to the left that you hold with your thumb, while pushing the ones on top with your fingers. This makes for 6x4=24 buttons(6 without pushing a thumb-key, 18 with).

Would miss the ingame recording too. Bah, I guess I'll have to snatch a 5th Commander from E-bay then. :)

Thanks again.

Bulge, 66 Beastlord of Third Era, Antonius Bayle(formerly Kane Bayle), temporarily retired.
Sterk, 45 SK of Indigo Skies, 6-box on Rathe server, and progressing through TSS.

Sarkaukar

You can set up a Shift button (any button) as either a toggle or momentary, so that it is either permanent til hit again or monentary til ya release the shift button.

4 different states, 3 inwhich a color LED is lit up when activated.

The only button I have a problem with though is the thumb button, so it is not used.