Main Menu

Hobble or CA2/3......

Started by Zentrel, March 17, 2004, 04:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zentrel

I'm needing some input on some pro's/con's on these (for those who have hobble how it has worked out for you, worth it / not worth it) and what route would you percieve to be good.  ie: don't even worry bout hobble till def/off aa's are done or get hobble now then go back to def/off aa's...

ok some background on me.

I'm 65 with 44 spent aa's and 4 saved

i have:
regen 3
run 3
SCR 3
ND 3
CA 1
Paragon
Pet Discipline (hold)

was at first thinking of getting CA up to 3 then working on other defensive/offensive aa's and had put Hobble as a "looks nice but won't get for a long time" type of aa.

but lately in some of the LDoN groups (especially hards) i have been asked if i had hobble because we didn't have a snarer.

also when i do solo its usually in a dungeon environment (droga, seb, nurga, ect).

Xuthaz

I just finished off CA3 and all I can say is OMG wtf did i not get this AA first?  I have no intentions of getting Hobble until uh, well, I'll definitely get it before my innate stat AAs.  If I need snare i'll throw some SBDs on binky.  Just my opinion, i've jumped all over the map with my AA purchases so take it for what its worth.

Edit: just noticed you don't have BF5.  It's assumed that every beastlord maxes this first when i gave my prior advice.  max BF5 before you even bother starting with your general AAs like run3 etc.
Elder Xuthaz Everhate
- Iksar Feral Lord -

Tastian

Hobble is one of those AA's I think like MGB.  If you need it/would use it you just kinda know it.  Hobble is very annoying because you lose rellic on pet well using hobble so you take a dps hit and lose the stun.  If you find yourself looking at situations you are in and going "hrmmm now if I had hobble this would be better" then I'd say go for it.  Overall CA is "better", but if you find yourself in LDoN without snarers and seldom tanking then getting hobble (it's only 4AA) then going back to your defensive/offensive(no BF yet? hehe) AA's might be the way to go.  

As far as how good hobble is once you have it, I'd say it's fairly reliable.  The pet can get resisted it can fade at bad times, but then again druids and rangers fall asleep at the controls sometimes too.  In spots in GoD I feel pretty safe with hobble as only form of snare.

Zentrel

QuoteEdit: just noticed you don't have BF5. It's assumed that every beastlord maxes this first when i gave my prior advice. max BF5 before you even bother starting with your general AAs like run3 etc.

well, as for BF5.   i got  reg3/run3, scr3, paragon before 61 because i felt that paragon would be (and is) a great help.  Then i ground out 61-65. After i got to 65 i aquired pet hold because i felt it would help (and it has alot).

From there i felt my defense needed some work before offense (especially when gettin agro from slows in hard ldons)  which is why i did ND (for more hps) and then started into CA. And was the reasoning i had used when i decided to put BF on hold till i get to at least CA3.

Hereki

If you are grouping, I'd expect to go for offensive over defensive AAs, so ND/CA ahead of BF is a surprise.  ND and pet hold are of most use for raiding; I'd put CA well ahead of ND in terms of value for defense.

Hobble loses you rellic/flame, and buying a few SBDs is a lot less hassle than getting 4 AAs that you should be putting into CA, if you really want a snare proc.

My suggestion would be to get BF5 and finish off CA (probably in that order); then get PE, followed by CS and then Ambidextery.  And buy some SBDs.

Tastian

I didn't mention SBDs and other snare proc items for a couple reasons.

1)  The dot.  With pet hold he shouldn't have an issue, but if you are grouping there is a chance your pet will proc early on a big pull and dot a mob you want mez'd.  Pets have a pretty bum rap as it is and seeing one definetly busting mez won't help.

2)  He said LDoN.  Having 1 SBD for every ~hour is a bit much.  I know some that will do 5+ LDoNs in a day and that's "casual" people getting to play heavy on an offday for them or something.  If you are solo'n a dungeon for a few hours SBDs are definetly great and I carry a few.

Can't change what you already bought and BF doesn't address the question.  It's a nice boost and a great deal, but depending on what your melee output is it might not be a huge boost.  I still say go with hobble if you constantly feel yourself wishing you had it.  Overall CA and a  bunch of other aa's are "better", but it's situaitonal and it's what works for you.