Main Menu

Dps AA Progression calculator

Started by Tastian, May 27, 2004, 05:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tastian

Because of how the buttons are set up.  The calculator was originally built to let people see how the next rank would work out for them.  Some wanted to see the long reaching effecting of skills though.  Like in the case of SCF that actually gets better as it goes.  What you get when you click "do all" is the overall effect of the AA verse the points it costs.  Where as "do it" is just calculating the next rank.  I personally just like "do it", but *shrugs* hehe.  I've been so busy with other things I haven't gone back through and made the other changes I wanted yet.  Maybe in the future if I get some time.  Yes though the number you get is in terms of dps to AA so the higher the number the better.  Use "do it" for most accurate results and helping pick the next rank.  Click "do all" if you want a broad overview of how the AA panes out.  Some get better, some get worse.

Oneiromancer

I just saw the same issue and I'm not sure if it was addressed.  For example, after I plug my dps and AAs in and click Do It, I get 0.0688 for rank 2 of Combat Fury.  But if I click Do All I get 0.2333 for the same rank.  It's definitely not considering the first rank.  It just seems to me that the first rank of each of the AA series should be calculated the same way whether you use Do It or Do All.  The only thing I can think of is that Do All just uses some base set of values and not your actual numbers...which is obviously not true as when I change my dps value it changes both Do It and Do All.

Don't get me wrong, Do All is still useful to see how AAs get better or worse with more ranks...it just seems like it should match up with Do It on the first rank of each AA.  I don't think it's really a priority, since it's still a nice and functional program otherwise, but if you get time you might want to look at it--it could just be a simple math/coding error somewhere.

Edit: checked some more...Critical Affliction seems to be the same between the two, and Warder's Fury was about the same (but not as close).  If I set my Bestial Frenzy to 0 and compare, then they are the same too (but that's a pretty straightforward calculation anyway--which makes it odder that Warder's Fury was slightly off since it's the same value for all ranks as well).  The others were noticeably far off to varying degrees.

Second edit: okay, if I only use 1 rank of Bestial Frenzy I see discrepancies.  If I add 1 rank of Critical Affliction then I see discrepancies.  Apparently there's an issue when you have a few ranks in an AA and calculating the rest of the AA/dps costs.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Tastian

It's like I said "do it" is what the calc was built for to look at your next rank in all AA's.  That is accurate for the next rank based upon cost based upon the numbers given.  "do all" was added by some requests to show the overall value of some AAs.  It takes those AAs as a whole, so you don't see the "next rank of SCF" but rather the second rank.  I've been wanting to go back and make some changes to it, but I just haven't had the time.  You'll see differances on any skill that has a progressive cost or a non-flat rate return.  Something like CF2 for instance on it's own isn't a very large return, but CF2 verse CF0 is better, however, CF1 is pulling most of the weight in that.  Like I said "do it" is what the calc was built for and what it is accurate for.  The "do all" calc is for viewing how the skill falls off.  If I could get anything resembling a free minute I'd make changes, but I just haven't had it of late.  Use "do it" if you want an accurate comparision of the next rank of your AAs based upon where you currently stand.  Use "do all" if you want to see how an entire skill will pan out.  For instance if you have no spell casting fury and you click "do it" you'll see that it's fairly poor.  If you click "do all" though you'll see that it get's better.  If you click "do it" with CF 0 you'd see that CF1 is decent, however, clicking "do all" will show you that the skill falls off.  

It's basically an issue of how it was designed to work and what was originally requested and then changing it to fit how it's actually being used by people.  It's not an issue of numbers or anything, but rather just how it's being used.  I am aware of it though and will go back and change it when I get time and try to make it very clear what people are seeing when they do various things.

Ooklak

Just FYI.. it's not loading atm. Can't find one of the .class files.

Da Oook

Tastian

Might have been lost in the server move, I'll check with jar on it.

Jaeren

Hmm it loaded for me using both Firefox 0.9.2 & the latest Internet Exploder.

Try clearing out your cache and loading the page again perhaps?

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

Tastian

Liandra

It works for me once the java is turned on.  Prolem then is that magelo will not work until i turn it off.  Having to reboot each time i turn it on or off is a right pain.
Katriona
Lvl 49 Beastlady of Halas
Member of the  Wandering Wolves on Venril Sathir

Tastian

Weird I just did some tests and couldn't find any issues between magelo the calc, etc.  If you anyone else has issues please PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Ogun Nagoura

NECRO

Does anyone have a working copy of Tastian's DPS calculator?  I tried the old calc link on the sticky here in this forum but it didn't work for me.

Inphared

The last time the calculator worked was well over two years ago.

Nusa

The link got relocated in the web-site revamp a while back. This link still works, but of course doesn't account for any new features or changes over the past three years. You MUST enter your dps values (either from a parse or just a good guess) in the boxes on the left side before you will get any sort of useful output.

Quote from: Nusa on October 27, 2006, 05:41:04 PM
Link to the calculator is broken, presumably due to the ongoing revamp of the site. This seems to work for now: http://old.beastlords.org/aaCalc.html