Main Menu

Pet Hold. Is it really necessary?

Started by Grymslade, August 02, 2004, 06:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grymslade

I'm currently working through the old AA's, and am curiouse about Pet Hold.  I have already purchased Suspend Minion (x2) and find that I can handle about any situation, raiding included with that and the simple /pet back off command.  I can see where in some situations you simply do not want to be spamming that command, but I've also learned that this spamming is not necessary to begin with if you just pay close attention to things.

Our guild is currently working to elemental status (short RZ & Solusek Ro) and I've yet to encounter a situation where just using my head (& suspend minion) did not solve the problem.  Also, let's face it, if we're hitting a mob like RZ, we already have 50-60 folks hitting the mob along with 5+ charmed pets on him as well.  If I choose to leave my pet suspended for this time, it's not like his DPS would actually turn the tide of the raid.

I'm just wanting to get the thoughts of our community first, before I spend those 6 AA's, let me know what you think.  Thanks.
-Grymslade (My Magelo)
-Retired Feral Lord of Mithaniel Marr

Tastian

It can become an issue.  You can't suspend the pet well it's the focus of somethings attention and you will have cases where backing off the pet doesn't always work.  Plus even if you keep pet suspended early on then pop out only to fight then hide again you'll be losing fight time.  Pet hold also lets you put your pet into regen mode againist certain AEs that can keep it alive.  

Also as for the pets dps understand that at your point in the game they are doing about as much damage as many knights you'll see lol.  Would you tell your shadowknights to just not bother attacking?  In the past month alone I've seen 2 different wipes with a mob at 1% life.  I personally am not a huge fan of pet hold and I think some get it too early in their progression, especially solo'rs.  However, for the raiding beastlord and as more AEs show up, and you progress I just think it quickly becomes worth the 6 AA.  You can cover "most" of it's functionality through suspend minion and pet backoff, but I'd still rather have the actual /pet hold command.

Jkal_Shihar

Most Raid Leaders will not and I stress this cause it has happen'd to me. Will not let you summon a pet unless you have /pet hold.

Since I have gotten it awhile ago, it has become very useful even for solo'n.

And if you are puller in group, its probably a life saver for that as well.

Nothing like pulling a few more then you intended and your pet decides to help without you noticing till he disappears and that few turned into a train due to a buddy deciding to say 'hey, we got a group trying to kill us get everyone'. Ok, maybe not to that extent but you get the idea :) .
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

Oneiromancer

Pet hold is also highly recommended if you want to try to single-pull with a low-level pet...so it's not just a grouping/raiding AA.  I barely raid and I have definitely found good uses for it.  I do have a soft spot for AAs that give me more utility, a different ability, than others though.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Ragnarson

Pet hold is a must in our guild. AEs and pet not on hold can be the cause a raid to wipe.
-Ragnarson
The Rathe - TWC

Giledorm

Pet hold is about on par with Paragon for a us IMO.  It is too useful not to get.  My guild is getting to the point of not letting pet owners use pets if they don't have it, and I know many pickup RL's who feel the same way.  

Pets can cause too many problems with AE's and untimely agro without /pet hold, no matter how fast you are with that /pet back off key.  Suspend is fine and good for getting by spots you have to invis, but Pet hold is more useful if the pet is out.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=395485&resize=true target=_blank>http://www.thirds.org/moose/newsig.jpg border=0>

Grymslade

Many thanks folks.  As I figured, there was some usefullness that I was simply overlooking.  Reckon I'll be purchasing Pet Hold tonight.  Thanks again.
-Grymslade (My Magelo)
-Retired Feral Lord of Mithaniel Marr

Chubaka

Quote from: TastianPet hold also lets you put your pet into regen mode againist certain AEs that can keep it alive.  

I personally am not a huge fan of pet hold and I think some get it too early in their progression, especially solo'rs.

I thought that they don't regen anymore if they are on an agro list?

No good for soloers? Just bought it 2 days ago. hehehe.  Ah well. Works good.

You think green pet pulling is an exploit?

Pet Discipline seems to be misnamed.  To me pet discipline should mean my pet will do what i tell it to. IE: Pet tanking one, me tanking another, and I say /pet kill my mob he should ignore the hits from the other one and just attack mine.  As it is, I have to /pet back off, /pet attack, /pet back off, /pet attack, /pet back off, /pet attack, /pet back off, /pet attack, /pet back off, /pet attack, /pet back off, /pet attack, /pet back off, /pet attack, /pet back off, /pet attack.   you get the idea.
Chubaka
65 Beast
Terris Thule

Magelo
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=934088

Kherash

Kejah
75 Vah Shirl Beastlord
Prexus
SpiritWalker Guild

Chance favors the prepared mind.
Louis Pasteur

Shrouded

Pet hold is not a necessity.  Learn how to control your pet and you do not need pet hold.  We are up to ikkinz raid #4 and I have yet to purchase pet hold?  Is it an excellent purchase for the relatively low cost that it is?  Of course.  Do I, personally, need it?  No, I control my pet just fine.  Basically, if you pay close attention on pulls you don't need it IMHO.
Level 70 Iksar Beastlord
Epic 1.5 Pre-Whiner

Dummkopf

Pet hold is the second most important aa for a raiding beastlord and very useful during grouping or soloing. If you dont use pet hold during raids on aeing mobs you either spam your guildmates or lose valuable fight time suspending or unsuspending your pet.

Liga

Haggatha

Is it a "must have"?

Honestly, in terms of functionality, No.

However, many raid leaders do require it.

And, it is very useful, and very polite. Nobody likes to see pet back off spam.

Haggatha Moles
Troll Savage Lord

Prowess

I don't see why people who solo go on the not usefull tour. The Pet Hold is imo a must have for a Beast in groups and especially in Raids.

This goes for all pet classes, not just Beasts.

Tardar

This is one of those aa, like SM2, that doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but after you have it, it is so nice.  I can comfortably hit my /pet hold macro, and don't have to worry about my pet getting out of control while I am buffing, chatting or even afk.  I know there are other ways to handle situations, and no, you don't HAVE to have it, unless your RL says of course, but it does make your life easier.  You don't HAVE to have a remote control to watch TV, there are other ways to change the channels, but damn who wants to worry about that.  I would suggest getting it and forgetting it, you will be happy you did.  You won't regret it.