Main Menu

Pet Hold. Is it really necessary?

Started by Grymslade, August 02, 2004, 06:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vidyne

Monk is splitting mobs on your raid, mob comes in towards camp but there is three, the monk has them far enough away and is about to FD, but aoe is cast by one of the adds.  It hits your pet and lets say your afk and you went to the bathroom for a minute.  You pet runs off to the mobs.

Now unless someone in your group is quick thinking and invises you very quickly, your pet is going to get the attn of all three of those mobs, when you only wanted 1.  If you had pet hold, monk would have died, and they might have split and things would be fine.  Warrior woulda pulled and single mob, but since you dont have pet hold, now you have 3 mobs inc, and are you sure you want the rest of your raiders mad at you for that?

You wouldnt be allowed a pet the rest of the night.

There are times when it may not seem great for 6aa, and there are times where it is an absolute must.  You just cannot go afk without it on raids.  You cannot fight some aoeing mobs without it on raids, and back when pets used to break charm, I can imagine you REALLY didnt pull your pet out on an aoeing mob and friends because if you broke charm the raid wiped.  

It is very useful to me and I couldnt do without it.  I use it far too often now, and cant see not having it.  Theres far too many pluses, unless you only group and you love your /pet back off key and are there 100% fo the time and never afk.  It saves alot of hassle and there is no worry that he will ever disobey while held.

Grymslade

Vidnye, while I've already stated that I'm going to buy it, I still believe that it's not as necessary as some might think

Take your example for instance.  In all of my time I have yet to encounter a situation anywhere similar to what you are describing.  Sure, in that situation, pet hold would be invaluable, however, any self respecting BL should know how to handle their pet without this skill.  

Worried about a three-pull where one AoE's?  I've yet to encounter any mob that is not a boss mob that AoE's on a pull.  Were it a boss mob, you can bet your boots that I would not be afk, or that my group would not be pulling it with any member afk.  That is not to say that there is not a mob like this, but again, it would be the least of my worries.  

Were I going afk, then again I'd suspend minion as I always do now anyhow.

The reason I am buying it is because the argument that every bit of DPS helps on a raid is considerably valid, the more I think about it.  This is why I'll spend my 6 pts for pet hold.  Not because I'm worried about loosing control.  Sure, I'm not perfect, but my pet is always first and foremost on my mind when playing.  Seems to me that this is just how it should be for any beastlord.
-Grymslade (My Magelo)
-Retired Feral Lord of Mithaniel Marr

Skrunch

Great in simple settings such as LDoN on a bad pull with no real CC in the group.  Guard your pet and hold it on a MoB and it will keep it's attention and regen through the damage (assuming you have at least DPoC).  Very usefull for other things as well.  Who wants to spam the back off key anyway?  We all know how to manage our pets to the fullest by this time.  It is just one of those nice things that we deserve to make our lives easier.  Personnaly, I still think it should be a given ability at 60 or something and not an AA.

Vidyne

Well I had been referring to something Ive seen in my own guild.

64 bst without pet hold on a trip to Water tower in BoT, trash aoes there.

He afked and has his pet out(which is fine, cause we lived and we had sufficient force to easily handle 4 i think).  The 2(just said 3, because 3 split is a possibility and would hurt more) came, one aoed, and his pet went running, his pet enraged, and smart ranger invised him after she was told to.

It was fine for that time, and we didnt give him any flak about it, summon a new pet and come on, but on bigger raids, its a must.

Tastian

"Great in simple settings such as LDoN on a bad pull with no real CC in the group. Guard your pet and hold it on a MoB and it will keep it's attention and regen through the damage (assuming you have at least DPoC)."

Pet doesn't regen the same if a mob is hitting it anymore.  I know this has been mentioned in other threads and someone re-asked this question in another thread the other day, but I couldn't reply to it then and I can't find it now.  Your pet will still regen if on /pet hold if it's not the focus of the mobs attention, but if the mob is hitting it then it won't get the super regen.

Skrunch

Ahh well that bites ;)

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Been tired of the constant grind lately and stuck on alts...again.

Grymslade

I stand corrected Vidyne.  That tower is definatly an open encounter where the trash AoE's.  Thanks for the reminder.
-Grymslade (My Magelo)
-Retired Feral Lord of Mithaniel Marr