Main Menu

Order to do AA's in

Started by Caali, January 05, 2004, 04:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caali

No reason why a good thing on the old board shouldn't be started up again here...

I'm seeing a lot of people asking, "I'm starting out and I don't which AA to do first..." Thought it might be helpful if a few of us took a couple mins and put up the order we got ours in to give them some ideas.

1. Run 3
2. First Aid 1 (clicked the wrong button dammit)
3. Regen 2
4. Combat Fury 1 (wanted to see those crits)
5. Beastial Frenzy 5
6. Combat Agility 3
7. Paragon of Spirits
8. Natural Durability 1
9. Combat Stability 1
10. Physical Enhancement
11. Lightning Reflexes 5
12. Spell Casting Reinforcement 1
13. Spell Casting Fury 1
14. Mass Group Buff
15. Ambidexterity
16. Planar Power 5
17. Pet Discipline
18. Frenzy of Spirits
19. Spell Casting Reinforcement 3
20. Natural Durability 3
21. Combat Stability 3

Next up
22. Innate Defense 5
Caali and Claws
65 Beastlady of Saryrn
Magelo

rorith

My AAs so far:

1. Regen 1

Reasoning:

I have spells that can match Run 3 in any zone: SoW and Shrew. Thus, Run3 is a lot less valuable than an extra hitpoint every tick.

Planned Spending:

2. Regen 2
3. Regen 3
4. Innate Metabolism 1
5. Innate Metabolism 2
6. Innate Metabolism 3

Those who fear the dogs of war, have never met the cats...

Bheran

This topic has been discussed in length in the past, but Rorith, my advise is to look at getting the run speeds. I know the metabolism thing for cats is huge... but don't discount a permanent movement modifier that won't ever be dispelled or drop at an inopportune time, and won't take up a buff slot.

I don't remember my aa path completely but generally speaking it went:

R3, R3

Then worked on defensive aa's for archetype

Got enough AA's to get my elder title (Paragon first, pet hold second)

Got BF1-5

Got MGB whenever we were allowed to.

Went back and started filling out archetype aa's, then began working pet aa's such as the pet heal and suspend minion.
Bheran Feralblood & Dernit
Wildcaller and the best damn dog on Inny
Innoruuk server

Nusa

Just ONE of the spells you get at level 52 gives you the same benefit as 8 AA's (the price of regen 2 and mental clarity 2) -- I'd advise you to make that level before any more AA's.

Run speed is, by far, the most valuable general AA for any class, including bards. You may not realize it with level 50ish buffs, but as you make levels, you're going to find you don't have enough buff slots. Shrew didn't exist when I bought it, but I don't think that would have changed my decision a bit.

The metabolisn thing for Vah Shir is not "huge" enough to justify aa's -- here I am a Vah Shir with 180 aa's, and I still see things more valuable than innate metabolism.

My recommended core order:

General 6 points: Run Speed 3, Regen 3
Archetypes 12 points: Spell Casting Reinforcemet 3 (*)
Class: Paragon, Pet Discipline

If you do a lot of many-group raids, MGB should be next.
If you do a lot of soloing or tanking, CA3 should be next.

(* the archetype toys can be hard to resist...alternately, get SCR2 and spend 6 points on other things like CF1, SCF1, CA1, or MC1 -- just get to Paragon asap)

Nusa

rorith

*twitches* Eh. Everyone says that about RS3... But I'm /not/ in a raiding guild, and only rarely have close to all my buff slots used. The majority of my time is spent in LDoN these days, and I've never had to worry about my run speed. I'll probably come back and get them once GoD comes out and I've got Paragon, but for now, I honestly feel my AAs are better spent elsewhere.

Bheran

Hehehe, Rorith, I'm sorry man for the twitch!

I was the same way with SCR! Everyone kept saying we should get it first thing, etc... but I've gotten it and I while I'm glad I finally did, I appreciate all the other things I had gotten first.

Only reason I said anything was to help.

One of the reasons I ended up getting R3 was because from 1-60, I loved to solo. In my early 50's, my favorite spot was the giant fort in BW. One of the named from there is Gorgul Paglok, who was a nemesis of mine for many a level.

Until I got to the point where I could stand toe-to-toe with him, the only way to kill him was by either flash kiting or traditional kiting. Both ways took a pretty good amount of time. On more than one occasion, my sow would disappear just when I needed it the most.

The vast majority of people are glad that they have run3, and is probably why people will say something to you. But, again, in the end, the points you spend are your own, so have fun regardless!
Bheran Feralblood & Dernit
Wildcaller and the best damn dog on Inny
Innoruuk server

rorith

Thanks, Bheran.

I /will/ be getting Run eventually, probably in February sometime when GoD comes out and we get the extra run AAs that will actually make it faster than Shrew and possibly SoW... ;)

I rarely solo anymore, what with the great grouping experience these days. Plus, most groups seem to /love/ beastlords. Maybe they're finally figuring out that we're good for something.

Nusa

That's your choice...just remember in the future when you've decided that you have to spend your another 3 aa's in the general area instead of picking up some planar skill that "I told you so."  Actually, lots of people said so.

If you didnt HAVE TO spend 6 points in the general category I'd say hold off on run speed until you have paragon and other things first.

My advice is to make levels instead, and put off your decision for now. Yes, buff slots fill up in LDON groups as well at higher levels -- not just raids.  Look ahead on your spell list -- you're going to have a LOT of self-buffing ability, and more of them stack than you might realize at first glance. At the same time, your companions have more buffs to throw on you as well. I think I first starting feeling the pinch when I was about level 55.

rorith

Yeah, I'm switching back to more emphasis on levels (Probably 70/30 for now... Wish I could do 75/25), and we'll see how I feel after I get all my regen AAs. I may go with run3. It may seem like I'm firm on it, but that's partly me still trying to convince myself. Bah. Too many choices. ;)

Bannor

Quote*twitches* Eh. Everyone says that about RS3... But I'm /not/ in a raiding guild, and only rarely have close to all my buff slots used. The majority of my time is spent in LDoN these days, and I've never had to worry about my run speed.

I was in a LDoN this weekend with all buffslots full.  Additionally, RS can't be dispelled.

My AA so far

RS 1-3
Innate Metab (as a Barb, makes that stat food last and last and last) 1-3
SCR 1-3
PoS
BF 1-5
ND 1-2

Working on ND 3 now, then getting Suspend Minion 1 and 2.  Summoning after buffing the entire group (when there is no shaman around) is a pain, especially when you have to ask the group to wait a min so you can med.  I'm just as impatient as I suspect they are, if not moreso.

Whiska

Did:
Run 1-3
Regen 1-3
Combat Fury 1
ND 1
SCF 1
ND 2
Finishing Blow 1 (Love Mortal Kombat - couldnt help myself)
Paragon
Pet Hold
Hobble (Use snare on emergency CC and LDON)
MGB
Bestial Fury 1-5 was mixed in cant remember what order
Whiska - VS Beastlord Ayonae Ro

Tastian

" But I'm /not/ in a raiding guild, and only rarely have close to all my buff slots used."

First and foremost this is not a talk you into anything post.  I just wanted to share some random information hehe.  I actually did regen 3 before run 3 because of where and how I was grinding.  Basically for those 6 AA I never moved, I'd just log in/kill/camp/login/kill/camp/etc so the runspeed was never much of a factor for me.  8P  However, having to take 6 AA in general in order to unlock arch I did and would go with run3 over and over again.  The fact that it's no buff slot is huge.  I keep looking at innate metabolism, but really it's more of a convience thing.  I can spend PP and buy food/water and I don't really re-stock *that* often anyways.

As for buff slots though, they seriously just disappear later on.  In an LDoN group I have to click buffs off at the start of almost every mission.  Well solo I can easily get close to max buffs.  A lot will depend on your stats/what you need, but it's possible to have (in random order as they come to me):

1) Infusion
2) Str
3) Dex
4) Sta
5) Frenzy
6) Haste
7) Regen
8 ) Hp/mana regen
9) HP/atk buff
10) Talisman of blahblahblah (hp buff)
11) Ferocity/savagery

Now have to have one spot open for paragon.  That's not even counting any "fluff" clicks like bramble coat from tunic, illusion (skelly/woodelf/etc).  Got an outside kei?  What about a temp/virtue?  Any Resist buffs up?  Oh and need room for NPC's spells that land on you....

Basically later on buff slots are in seriously short supply.  This of course probably isn't much of an issue for you now, but later on it is likely to become one and you may find yourself going back to get RS3.  Depending on how fast you AA that could mean a few more hours, a day, a week, or even more.  Again though no AA choice will prevent you from any other AA, so you just slow yourself down in getting to other stuff.

rorith

After arguing with myself (literally) for a couple days, I've decided to go with at /least/ Run2, and possibly Run3. I want to get some metabo to help quell my never ending appetite. But I also want quick access to the new Run AAs from GoD, and I'm certain they'll require me to have Run3 first.

There. Now everyone can stop telling me how great Run3 is. ;)

Soriab

I have a feeling that Run3 will be good but to get the others that you will need to max many Archetype and Class AA's before they can be pruchased. Just like PoP did with many of our Higher AA's for them.

rorith

Yeah... I'm sure they will. But the high-end stuff is a /long/ ways off for me. I've got 1 AA, and I've switched back to 70% Exp/30% AA to get level 52 and my next regen buff.