Main Menu

What you think of Roar of Thunder

Started by Liga, August 21, 2004, 04:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kromjr

If they want to make AA's with 72 minute refreshes make it worth it.
Venerable Kromjr - 66 - Ogre Beastlord - Stromm

Gennan

Given the fact that it is three ranks for the 1500dmg and a 72min reuse time, if I can do math that would be less than 1dps only if it critted and did not get resisted or partially.  I'd train it for the nuke crit eye candy.  The stun makes me nervous about aggro though so I'd just use it in XP groups to piss off Mages but only after getting the other new AAs.

Coprolith

Let's not make the mistake of doing paper comparisons ourselves here. Dividing the damage by the recast time is pointless (and if you do that anyway then you should also divide the agro from the 5s stun by the recast time, i.e. negligible)
This isn't supposed to be a dps enhancing AA its a utility AA. Its a one-shot quick damage that can come in very handy in certain situations. I can certainly see myself using this ability during the frequent quad pulls in LDoN missions just so I can kill the first mob more quickly and improve my survival chances (the 5s stun doesnt hurt in that respect either).
Im sure no one will mind the re-use timer going down from 72m and not everyone may find this AA as useful as i do (it'll depend on your playstyle a lot), but i think this ability has potential. I'm going to reserve final judgement until the AA cost is known tho.

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Choppin

unless it has a low reuse time, it wont have a spot in the 10 I have for fast use, it will go to page 2 if I get it at all, and surely never I will save anyone with it due to it being on page 2, maybe I ll cast the OoW nuke and crit for over 2k or my wep procs and stops a runner..
Choppin Lethal
Feral Lord

Strigori

a 72 min reuse insta-agro power while we have no means of dropping agro short of death? looking like a pass to me.  SoE is going to have to do something better than this and marginally "better" spells to get me to buy oow
Wildcaller Strigori
  70 Wildblood
  Officer of
  Fellowship of Dragons
  Ayonae Ro

Gennan

Hypothetical
* It is trained each rank at L66, L68, and L70
* It is going to be 18-24AA to max (3/6/9/ or 4/8/12) which is lenient considering GoD
* LDoN at level 70, mobs will have more HP
* LDoN missions are going to take more than 30 minutes.

Also, if the mob does get stunned and someone else stuns them, their stun duration takes into effect.  So if you stun the mob with it, and then warder stuns the mob with his proc, the mob will be unstunned whenever the proc wears off.

With new pets, chances are they're going to be doing 120DPS without procs maybe.  So spending a generous number of 18-24 to do a manaless 1500DD that may or may not be resisted seems like a waste.  I'd simply remember to push pet attack 10 or 12 seconds earlier and that is free.  If you were to use this in a LDoN, chances are you would only be able to use it once during that one and if you did it early, you might be able to use it late during the next.  With the mobs having more HP, I don't think it'll put a big dent in them.

The new defense AA, Healing AA, Paragon Improvement, spell crits (I think we get them?), pet AA, and possibly the tradeskill AA look promising and are going to be the first abilities I train before this.  If this is supposed to be our 'class' AA, personally I'm going to get it before Innate Charisma.  

I don't understand why the decided to give it to us other than to piss of Mages.  It'll make nice crit nuke eye candy I suppose.  Maybe 20 or 30 of us can get together and make a ghetto MB crew?  It's just a silly AA to spend so much AA on a magic based nuke with a long reuse time when we can nuke crit on a less resisted spell type cold for less.

Eatbugs

I could see an occasional use for it with a 72 minute refresh and medium-high AA cost (in situations where I either really, really wanted aggro or desperately wanted to stop a caster getting a spell off) but it almost seems to me like a misplaced new Berserker or Bard AA.  It's certainly not something I'm going to spend points on anytime soon.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Bengali

Quote from: GennanWith new pets, chances are they're going to be doing 120DPS without procs maybe.

Don't hold your breath on that.  That would be more than a 50% boost over the highest parsed pet we have now (and that was with a bard in the group, if I remember correctly).  I don't see that kind of boost happening.  

QuoteIt's just a silly AA to spend so much AA on a magic based nuke with a long reuse time when we can nuke crit on a less resisted spell type cold for less.

A magic based nuke with a -100 resist mod is generally going to land more often than one of our cold nukes.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Konji

Id love to see a shorter re-use time on it myself, but given the fact we complained and complained hard for BA to be shorter they didnt change it.

At this point what would make it better is to make sure its not resisted, while -100 is ok, last thing i want is to blow my 72 min stun and have it reisisted is gonna suck. So if it had an negative adjustment like -500/-1000 that would be ideal.

Look im not saying i dont wanna lobby for it being shorter on the reuse.
But sometimes you gotta ask for something that you think they might give you also.

If it was irresistable or nearly Id prob buy it with the 72 min refresh.

Caali

Pretty useless on 72 min timer. And do we really need a stun? I'd prefer it having lower damage and a jolt component rather than a stun.

Maybe 800 damage on 15 min timer + jolt.
Caali and Claws
65 Beastlady of Saryrn
Magelo

a_moss_snake_001

72 mins is a LONG time for this effect. Even the new GoD caster weps that have a free clicky nuke/dot only have a 15min reuse time (thats 15 mins per Strike of Solusek or Horror which both do way way better damage than this). 9m would be far more approriate.

mrowrr

I do see situations where a quick burst of damage with a stun, can be of alot of help.

Are we going to see Named mobs who gate, obviously something we don't see too much?

Don't discount what it's being used for until we know what the expansion has in store for us.
Mrowrr Puur
70 Beastlord
http://www.dwarecmercs.com">Dwarec Mercs
Terris Thule
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=118261">Mrowrr's Bling Bling!

TalleyRN

I'm sorry, but 1500 dd isn't alot of dmg here...we're talking lvl 70 here...our new nuke moded is almost 1500 dd......the AA is simply useless.

Fibbs

I like this ability or perhaps its intended idea, 72mins is a bit off putting though.

for example whats reuse on a stock standard LoH or Harmtouch these days?

My thoughts would be a 1.0sec stun to level 70, 500-750 min melee hit with a refresh of about 30sec - 1.5min. ie its just another nuke for us.

being melee it can miss and be defended in someway so it certainly wouldnt always hit, also allowing for crits.

alternate it with feral swipe i think it wold be great.

Fibbs

Hereki

Standard recycle on LoH/HT is 90 mins.