Main Menu

AA Planar Power

Started by Banthur, September 21, 2007, 05:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banthur

I see all these discussions about AA paths but, I never see Planar Power mentioned.  I have about 145 AAs.  CA 8, CS 8, ND 3, PE, Pet Dis 2, Run 3, extra spell slot (9AAs), Pet affinity, Paragon, Pet Hobble and a smattering of attack and heal AAs.
My big question is on raids I don't die from being beaten to death, I am not the tank the mob is after.  I die due to being unable to resist spells and DoTs.  DoN progression, CoA raids etc. have massive AoE Dots that land on some of or raid members but, many resist their effects and survive the entire fight.  CS, CA, ND, etc are not going to help me survive these fights.  I have spent the last week getting Planar Power 5 and seen my resists go up to 380 as well as increasing my HPs and mana pool.  I am now going to see if that helps me survive raids and avoid the nasty Dots.
What are everyone elses experiences and recommendations on surviving raids where DoTs are the main killers?  I am not much help on a raid if I die 5 times in one fight due to AoE Dots.

Nusa

Planar Power raises the stat CAPs, not the stats. If your more useful stats (sta,str,dex,wis,agi in rough order of value) aren't hitting the cap with normal buffs, Planar Power will do absolutely nothing for you. In other words, the value of PP to you is gear-based. I'd recommend buying it as needed as you upgrade your gear. I never ever recommend buying actual stat increasing AA's -- gear eventually makes them useless once you hit the caps.

The resist caps are raised by a different AA, the name of which slips my mind at the moment.

Banthur

My stats are higher than the caps allow.  Every time I add a level of Planar power, my stats increase by 5.  My HPs, mana pool, wisdom, intel, resists are mostly up to 380.  There are a few that are not maxed out.  I am benefiting from the increased stat cap.  What should I do to better survive on raids.  I think i need the resists to avoid what is killing me, DoTs.  I currently have 4 unspent AAs and can go more defensive or offensive if that is where I should be heading now.

Kanan

letting us see your magelo would help out as well.  Stats are nice, but the return on the AA isn't really that spectacular.

There are a severely significant amount of AEs that land on me, even non-corruption AEs, when I have my resists totally maxed out, either via infusion or bard song.

A coupla expansions ago, they were contemplating altering the formula for resists, but it never went live obviously.  Raising the caps that you have on your resists is a worthwhile thing to do, esp if you are dealing with groupable content (I still get a kick out of mobs wasting mana casting on me during a pull), but most raid AEs nowadays have such ridiculous resist checks that our chances of resisting them is very slim.

If you feel DoTs are what are eating you up on raids, start looking into more dot shielding on your gear.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Nusa

You keep implying that Planar Power increases the resist cap, which it doesn't, unless something has changed that I don't know about.
Discordant Defiance (I looked up the name) increases the resist cap. Other ways to increase the resist cap are to complete the MPG group trials (total of +50 if you do all six) and make levels if not maxxed.

As for surviving spells in raids, you're right it's all about resists. Things you can do to improve your resists (assuming you aren't at cap):
* Are you max level yet? Level is the MOST important factor in resisting things, by far. Also the most important faction in every other combat calculation.
* Are you getting the three main resist buffs from shamans (poison+disease), druids (fire+cold), and enchanters(magic)? If you're short on buff slots, you probably have less important things to click off. You can buy more buff slots with AA's too.
* If your poison is really bad, you can also get DMF from a necro, which has a stacking poison resist on it too.
* Are you using Ferocity on yourself? It's not just an attack buff, it's also +65 to all resists. (Dont bother with the higher level versions, the first one is the most economical.)
* If all that isn't enough, ask to get in a bards group...they can do wonders for resists.

Maylian

Resists only help so much, and Sony know that the current system doesn't really work properly. After level and such I would say that spell shield / dot shield is the best bet depending on what level you raid at. You will find that most AE's in raids are going to be pitched so that even with max resists you can't resist it, at least with SS you can knock the dmg down to survivable levels.

Tigrah

I'm still learning the raiding scene, so I can't add much more than they have. However, what they haven't added taht could help offset the dots is regen. It can additionally help to curb the damage you are actually taking from nukes and dots on raids and in groups. At the bare minimum having a high regen helps you to survive a few more moments against nasty dots in some of the zones and to solo a little better too imho.
Savagespirit Tigrah Battlebeast of The Rathe.  85,

Whillowawhisp. Druid, currently 40

Archfiend Gravrrobrr Tombraidrr my crazed Drakkin SK

Tirienth Spiritcaster My unintentionally retired Shamy

Fear the mighty ball of yarn, for I shall chase it, and leave chaos in my wake.

nedoirah

Dying on raids is nothing new to a beastlord. However there are ways to offset and beat the odds.
First max your levels.
Second Use your own heals.
Third Try to get a healer in your group to be assigned to make sure your group stays alive.
Fourth Use HoT potions from PoK.

I use infusion of the faithful in situations where the mobs we face have high resist dots or AEs. I lead DoN Progression in my guild and also am the class leader. The only real issue to face with DoN Progression is Volkara's poison/mana drain dot which can be stopped with infusion of the faithful and Yar'Lir has a nasty little knockback proc which can be avoided for the most part by simply moving around a bit. If your guild is at Yar'Lir have them try to mez the adds instead of killing them. The dervishes (I think those are the ones) proc forcequake which will eat people quickly if they are not killed or mezzed quickly. Ju'Rek is a simple raid and fast if you have the healers/ranged toons for it. His proc has a limited range and is well under the range of our own nukes.

As for anguish, KTH only has a few dots and can be healed with a shaman/cleric cure spell. Your guild should have healers assigned to each group to keep the groups alive. If they aren't then they don't really plan to progress very far into anguish. Ture is easy also, just move back when you get the ramp emote (ture roars)(my guild uses audio triggers for it) and again the gruild set up should have a healer in the group to cure dots. Hanvar only has one proc that I know of and is a stun/knockback damage proc. It never does much damage to me but the adds should be handled by a guild SA/TA/TM. The Jelvan event is tricky and the only thing I can offer there is don't get high on the agro list or cross agro. AMV is the other tricky event. This one requires the raid to have a healer in each group to cure the DT dot. Beasts get the abolish disease spell which easily cures the dot. (try to be in a group with a shaman, they have the best cure spell cause its a group cure) The rest are not really anything to worry much about. Just worry about adds. Mata Muram... we have yet to beat him cause we only just faced him.

AAs are good to have but good gear is key. Max your level get good gear and watch your survivability rate go up. I'm a level 75 beast with 390 AA and nearly 11k hp unbuffed 10.6k mana unbuffed and my resists average about 350.