Main Menu

Continue to lvl or farm AA

Started by Zeragon, September 23, 2004, 09:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oneiromancer

Hey Quezic, I sent ya a PM, but no response...I was curious about your soloing in Harbinger's, I tried but I couldn't even pretend to get single pulls.  Do you pet pull or is there a certain room that is easier to single?  You can PM me back or post in the Hunting area perhaps...

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Quezic Grahl

Sent you a pm about harbinger's.  Basically, if it's only 2 mobs on a pull, I just pull both (3 even if disc/AA's are up), or pet pull if more than that.  Probably best to just pet pull though, get spawns split better that way.

Edit:  Also posted a semi-guide to some of the spawns in harbinger's in the 65-69 hunting section.

Kinash

I recently started thinking about whether to get to level 66 or just work on AA's. I am only at 33% towards lvl 66 and just got my 68th AA yesterday. I have been getting about 1AA a day soloing in Nurga, when I switched to regular XP it dropped down to like 15% a day. It seems to me that I get more bang-for-my-kills going for AA's and I suspect that if I level I will wind up getting less AAXP when I try and kill those same mobs at 66 (more will be Lt. Blue). What do you folks think? Also, if you check out my profile, any idea on what AA I should go for next? I currently have 1 free point.
Kinash Kattar
Level 66, Khati Sha Apprentice
Tholuxe Paells (Bertox)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=594639

Kitvear

I'm running 50/50 for exp/aa, I figure I will get there when I get there, but that's just me.

I would suggest finishing out SCR and getting Ambi.  (kinda funny, cuz I know I need Ambi myself and still haven't managed to make  it to 9 whole AA's saved before buying something else)

If you tank or solo a lot then I would suggest finishing out CA and getting LR.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=706403

Kitvear 66  Beastlord
Vearlis 67  Chanter
Zebuxoruk

Dakat

OMG, you better stay 65 and grind all the aa you want first.

Once you get to 68+ all those used to be great aa spots are gone.  You will have to go to GoD or OOW to get any decent aa now. PoP has really sucked in aa grinding at this point.

Dummkopf

PoP is still a decent XP spot at 70 if you have elemental access. Fire C2/Tables is a pretty good camp still, you just wont get the nice new drops or spells there.

Kebrarn

Personally I say go right to 70, no matter how many AA's you have.  Getting groups when you are below the level cap sucks as I'm sure you know.  Groups hardly ever ask for how many AA's you have when they pick you, but they can clearly see your level.  Spells will come in time, but you get such a huge benefit of leveling to 70 vs getting AA's.  For instance you pay 5 aa to increase your stat cap by 5 points, but that comes naturally when you ding the next level.  Not to mention all the other leveling benefits like resisting spells, easier single pulls, missing hits, etc.
Wildcaller Kebrarn  ~ 70th Wildblood
The Folk of Fennin Ro

Vorhees

I wouldn't level up all the way to 70 without worrying about aa's, especially if you are more of a casual player.  It's just not worth it really, unless you have your spells, and even then it's debateable.  Alot of easier POP zones that you may have soloed in before for some exp while LFG are awful exp at 68+.  I'm sure there are some good exp spots still in POP, but the far majority of them are much worse at 70 than at 65 (or even 66, or 67).  One spot in particular, I got around 1 blue of aaxp per kill at 65, and at 68 it took me 2-3 kills to get the same amount of exp.

And while people may not ask for how many aa's you have, once you do get into their group they will notice the type of player you are.  They will know if you have the new SV, or the new SD, or the new Kragg line buff, etc.  And if it were up to me, I'd take someone lower level with their spells with well-rounded aa's than someone that just rushed to 70.

Quezic Grahl

I've just been going straight to 70 so far, about 50% through L69 atm.  Getting L66-68 spells really hasn't been a problem, just fight in places where you know named will spawn and you will get them, especially since it takes alot of killing to get to L70.  I've actually had more trouble getting the L66 spells than 67/68.  For the 69/70 spells, haven't had any luck with those and it's not easy to get MPG groups, etc where they drop more commonly.

So anyway, from my experience, going to L68 is fine, still some good easy AA spots to solo (L54 Droga mobs are still very easy and dark blue, etc) and you can get your spells for those levels with not too much work.  After that, L69/70, old AA spots are no good anymore, spells are alot less common, and soloing for AA's will be much slower it seems.  For me it was better to just go to 70, I always group if possible, even when I am soloing I've got LFG on, so I don't solo very many AA's anymore anyway.  I haven't turned on AA xp at all since L66 yet, but in some groups I'm getting ~10% real xp in L69 per hour, that's probably ~ 2 AA pts per hour, so group AA's will be pretty quick I imagine.

Edit:  I should say, I had about 270 AA's before OoW came out, so getting some of our better AA's wasn't an issue for me, I already had them.  I guess doing some of those first might be a good idea too instead of leveling...I dunno.

Quezic

Oneiromancer

I've done a good deal of my levelling to 67 in WoS, and have only seen 2 runes drop and lost both rolls.  I have a friend who has been level 70 for a while, does OoW zones a lot, and still hasn't gotten a single OoW spell.  I think I'll just be waiting for the prices to go down...they have been steadily and as people fill up their spell books they will go down even more.

I have actually already started going back to AA now that I'm 20% into 67.  I was going to get both Origin and Persistent Minion, but if they put pets not poofing in then I'll wait on PM until later...I do still want the pet to stay suspended while camped but it's not as important to me as not losing it when I am zoning invisibly.

Game on,

Quezic Grahl

You have to camp the right spots really, and hopefully have a group where everybody isn't rolling on every single item/rune.  I much prefer rolling at the end, at least everybody gets something then.  Lately groups seem to be rolling as we find the stuff and rolling on everything, which is pretty lame, 1 person walking away with 3 items and 3 runes while the rest of the group got squat is just stupid.  It's worked in my favor before in groups like that, but in general I'd just prefer that everybody got something...

Best luck I've had with runes is just out of the inzone tunnel in WoS, to the west a little along the zone wall.  Couple of named spawn right there pretty much (Bazu Destroyer, Bazu Bonesmasher, and some named chimaera around there too).  Xp isn't great there compared to some of the other camps and Shadowhunter can be a pain, but purely for getting runes, I've seen the most drop there.  And you can get by with a weaker group there compared to some of the other camps where the mobs are harder.  Spots like Portal are much better xp, but only 1 named spawns there that I've seen, so you're lucky to see 1 rune in a few hours.  Also, you could try for groups to farm OoW expeditions.

Getting pretty sick of weak WoS groups by the way...pulling classes that suck at pulling, tanks with crap aggro, healers that panic if there's more than 1 mob...you'd think by this stage of the game people would know what the hell they are doing, but apparently not.  If the tank is bad, the whole group is going to suck pretty much...so you can tell in about 5 minutes whether you should go back to LFG or not.  No BS, I was in a group so bad in WoS last nite, I got 2% of L69 in over 2 hours before I finally gave up and left.  Bard couldn't seem to pull less than 2 or 3, and couldn't mez them when he did, and the tank just crumbled like a sissy, think I could have tanked them better myself...throw in the Girplan Guardian trains to wipe us a few times and you end up wasting a couple hours of your time for nothing.

Anyway, in my experience, pickup groups in WoS will either be very good or very bad, doesn't seem to be any in between.  If you get in a good one, don't leave unless your house is on fire...

Oneiromancer

I think KB must be one of the most mature servers, since I so rarely have bad pickup groups.  Almost all of them, people won't roll again if they already got something...or they'll put it back "in the pot" to be re-rolled on if a newer item is better.

I actually prefer rolling on items when they come in...I don't think I would trust people enough to have a ML for good items, and pickup groups change often enough that waiting doesn't seem to make sense to me.  In a place like MPG, perhaps...but then someone can always go "LD" and then you're screwed...

I was at that camp you mentioned, we got 3 nameds and 1 rune (I lost) before the cleric went LD during a fight and the wizard evaced us.  The ranger and I were both left behind.  Ranger died, I backed off, pet got aggro, I used my Thurgadin gate potion before pet died.  I actually was going to have to leave in 5 minutes anyway...so I'm especially glad that we didn't hold the items to roll on for later!

Game on,

Quezic Grahl

Well, if somebody is leaving the group, then roll on whatever you've got so far before the new guy joins...

As far as being ripped off by the ML, it's never happened to me, aside from minor stuff in LDoN's that everybody just forgot to roll on before leaving.  Even if it did happen, so the guy gets a couple runes and items big whoop, pretty cheap price to find out who the scum on your server is...at this point in the game there just aren't that many scammers really.  And even in pickup groups, I've grouped with a lot of these people before in LDoN's etc...