Main Menu

Hobble worth it?

Started by ryoko, May 26, 2005, 11:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryoko

I keep seeing posts with things like 'when hobble works' and such.  How reliable is Hobble?  I usually 2box with a Shaman, so the mobs are always debuffed with Malos**.  Would that help hobble land more?  I just dont' want to get it if it is a complete waste and doesn't give a snare about 60% of the time??  Any input?

Ryokobeast , 70 Beastlord, The Nameless

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=958897

Firriann

well, it's pretty random. it can proc when it feels like proccing. and if you got another proc on (ironiu or rellic + 1.5/2.0) it reduces it chances to proc even further. if you just leave hobble only, it will proc "more" since it has no damage on it, compared to other procs. so the fight lasts longer, meaning more procs. but anyway. i dont know if the debuffing really did anything to help my hobble land more often. i think it was more luck then anything. the biggest problem with it, however, is that it only lasts 3 ticks (18 seconds) so the mob needs to die fast, and if it doesnt, you need to be lucky on pet doing another hobble right on time. however (yeah, i speak a lot, better get used to it  :-P) if you have irionu/rellic on pet as well, you can get a few strings of stun on running start, then hobble snaring, when it wear off poof another stun and dead mob after. i bought hobble long before the change to procs was made, and to be honest, i never really regretted it. it saved my fur more often then i can count. 'course, opinions may differ for other players :)
Firriann Tailchaser - 72 Beasty
Lynia Tsukikage - 75 Ranja
The Tribunal Server

TiannisEQ

Use Hobble a lot solo and in a group, yes the duration is low, but as previous post has stated you often get a stun from ironiu/relic as Hobble wears off /grin.

Tiannis 70 Wildblood (Prexus Server)
EQ- Kityiara - cleric / WoW - Mayeth - Hunter

kharthai

In places where you need the mob to not run at all, hobble probably won't save you, or will let you down on occasion.  If there's a bit of room, it'll work alright.  Generally I use it in Droga or NC (group with a ranger lots so usually snare in groups is covered) and it works well enough, I haven't regretted spending the AA at least.

Tiroon

It is unreliable and I would gladly pay some AA's to extent hobble a bit. But if all my AA's were refunded and I could spend them again Hobble would be there again. :-D
Tiroon Firefang
Vah Shir Savage Lord
Stromm

Ignorance killed the cat! Curiosity was framed.

Torguran

I play late nights with a few friends and we generally don't have a snarer among the rifraf.  Even though it is unreliable at times, its also saved our arses at other times.  In my opinion, its sorta a class defining ability...without the drama.  I don't regret spending the AA on it. 
Wildcaller Torguran - 70 Vah Shir
Proud member of **Prophets of the Myst**
Server formerly known as Torvonnilous

Torgy's Treasures

ebric

I agree with what most have said but to sum it up......if you dont have a snarer often you should get it. Avoid tigh spawn areas where you cant aford to have the mob move at all and you will be fine.

Added bonus is it makes more agro for the pet....so if you are tanking and mana for agro is an issue this can help.

Grbage

Prior to fixing the stacking issues with procs, hobble was only good for places like Droga to help stop runners (that's the reason I had bought the aa). With the stacking issue fixed the killer gecko always has hobble up and running even when there is a snarer in the group. Hobble is not reliable but can be a life saver. Many times the snarer cant land snare (no debuffer in group) or goes to sleep at the keys but hobble lands and keeps that mob in place.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

Dreead

I love it, I would recomend it to anyone.

There has been many chances where pet snare was on (RSS) and the mobs take off quick at 20% and pet snared saved us from the mob running to far away before it got real snared. This is just one example it works great in most situations (Unrelieable yes, but still is great to have, in case)

Oiingo

Not worth it.  Buy one of the AAs that have better return for the investment, like Packrat or Enduring Breath.

Seriously, get other AAs first.
Predator Oiingo Boiingo (80 beasty) of <Triality> on Maelin Starpyre

TrueRWB

I got it to "help" solo.  And it didn't help at all.  I still suck at soloing. 
True Red, White, and Blue American...Respect the Colors!
AKA: TrueRWB the Wise
:pint: Drink up tonight...WE RAID!

Fistinyereyes

It is entirely worth having, incase of resists on snare when grouped, or to help when soloing... and one thing I've never seen mentioned- it still adds even more agro to the pet ontop of Rellic/whatever.. which in turn makes it better for the whole group. Most of the time I am tanking for my groups, my actual agro isn't all that much, but it works because pet has primary agro over anyone else, and I'm standing in melee range... Hobble helps keep agro managed, and is great as an emergancy snare.

sunkash

Fistinyereyes,

that's exactly right or agro, plus I use it all the time when soloing in Droga, it would be a real nightmare there without it.

TrueRWB, your magelo shows no worn haste?

corruptor64

Tribute haste. lol. That can get expensive over time, i know from experience.

I like hobble now, and i use it when i dont have a snarer in my groups. I never bought it though until they fixed the stacking issues. It does help out, and i probably should have bought it earlier.

Shieara

I keep it up all the time since stacking issues have been fixed.

Has saved my tail more then once and is worth the aa imo.